1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 F-3 Dual Master Cylinder

Old 06-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1950 F-3 Dual Master Cylinder

OK, I did some searching and found refernces to a Mustang Master cylinder and a few others. Is there a dual master cylinder setup that can be used in the factory configuration? From what I gathered the Mustang setup seems to be the most cost effective and simplest to install. The drilling of holes to hang the pedal and master cylinder does not bother me. I do want a reliable system I will not be worried about th wife driving.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:43 PM
betsy78
New User
christopher, I just got through with the chassis on my 50' f-1 and I used a dual resivor mastercylinder off of a 1972 ford f-100 with manual drum brakes . All i had to do was drill 2 new holes and shorten the actuator rod and it has worked out graet for me. Hope this helps.

Old 06-23-2004, 10:46 AM
bhiebert
Freshman User
Hi Christopher

I installed a new Mustang M/C in my '51 when I upgraded the front brakes to discs. I used the mounting braket from ECI which allowed me to mount the new master cylinder to the stock holes with no drilling or modifications required - worked like a charm.

The mustang cylinders have a built-in 10lb residual valve for the rear drums, so if you are keeping the drums in the front, you'll need to install an in-line 10lb valve in the brake line leading forward.

I found that plumbing the master cylinder and valves to be by far the most time-consuming part of the job. Installing all of the hardware for the actual brake conversion was one of the easiest jobs I've ever done on the truck. The first side took maybe 2 hours (becasue I triple-checked everything to avod making a mistake), but the other side took 45 minutes tops.

If you want reliability (i wanted my wife to be able to drive if need be, too), I'd strongly recommend discs. My truck always braked well, but if I ever had to "slam" the brakes on due to some guy cutting me off or some other emergency, the truck would veer sharply left or right (randomly) which always scared me. Now, it stops as well as any car I've ever driven.

Good Luck
Brian

Old 06-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Did you use EC-410A? Were you able to keep the stock pedals and clutch? I would like to do this as rebuild for the drum brakes. I figure it has to be better then the factory setup and the dual cylnder allows you to keep brakes if one line brakes.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:57 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The F-3 has a bigger pedal assembly. The bolts are farther apart so anything for a F-1 won't fit. I just made an adapter plate that bolted the M/C to the plate and the plate to two of the pedal assembly bolts. I have a picture in my gallery. It's in the 1st 51 Mercury M-3 gallery at the bottom.

Last edited by 51dueller; 06-24-2004 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:33 AM
bhiebert
Freshman User
Ahhhh - I didn't notice that you had an F-3......sorry - can't comment on what may or may not fit......all i can say is everything fit fine on an F-1.

Brian

Search this Thread