Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

OD light flashing

Old 11-03-2002, 10:28 AM
wall1206
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OD light flashing

While driving my 95 limeted explorer yesterday noticed my od light flashing how do I fix this, I have noticed lately coming to a stop a clunking coming from the underneath like ujoints or something ,will the od light flash becouse of bad ujoints? should i invest in a code reader to trouble shoot and what could a code reader tell me?? my hanes manual tells me nothing and dread going to a dealer$$$ I would appreciate any opinions thanx

Old 11-03-2002, 10:39 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OD light flashing

You should definitely find out why the light is flashing. Best way to do that is with a code reader. Also, the 'clunking' noise you are noticing may be related to the OD light being on. It's my understanding that when the light is on, the transmission goes into 'cripple' mode at which point it shifts harder than normal. I have a '95 and had the exact same problem. If the light is on due to a false reading, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to reset the computer. I did that to mine and the light hasn't come back on. There are numerous posts on this board for flashing OD light. Just do a search for 'flashing OD'.

Mike

Old 11-03-2002, 10:54 AM
wall1206
New User
OD light flashing

thanks mike I will try the battery disconnect fix, hopefully that keeps the light off, if not theres always the electrical tape over the light fix

Old 11-08-2002, 10:31 PM
new_ford_chick
New User
OD light flashing

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Nov-02 AT 11:32 PM (EST)]Well just disconnecting the battery will clear your codes and the O/D flashing light, temporarily anyway. But it will come back, it always comes back! I to have a 95 explorer xlt and I am continually plagued by the flashing O/D light. I have the exact same symptoms as you do. As soon as the flashing starts, after clearing the computer either by disconnecting the battery or using a jumper wire, the same symptoms are back. I have already had a rebuilt tranny put in just weeks ago(628 code, excessive clutch slippage) so tranny shop rebuilt the tranny. Same day I picked it up the the O/D light was back, the symptoms and the code. Took it right back to shop. They kept it for 3 more days and said it was all fixed, should run great. Ya right! I know they did nothing but clear the codes again. They are not dealing with a regular chick here. I am not giving them anymore of my money plus I want them to sign off on the repair so it will be warrantied. So after about 30 minutes of driving the light was back. I was also getting an EGR code. SO far I have, not the idiots at the shop, replaced the TGR sensor (transmission range sensor), cleaned the egr valves and connectors and replaced dpfe sensor. EGR code all gone, all codes gone. Checked voltages on just about everywhere else, everything checking out okay, but the flashing O/D light keeps coming back. I pulled the PCM (power control module) out and did notice that the top row of pins seemed loose and a couple we even sticking out a little to far. So now I have ordered a PCM and crossing my fingers that this has been the problem all along. Mechanically the tranny is brand new so it has to be electrical. If the PCM doesn't work then I am basically left with the wiring harness and the engine.

Old 11-09-2002, 03:24 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
OD light flashing

Please keep us posted as to if the PCM fixes the problem.

Mike

Old 11-14-2002, 07:31 PM
new_ford_chick
New User
OD light flashing

well the new PCM (new model pcm and calibration) did not fix the problem. I keep getting the same code "628" Excessive converter clutch slippage. I am basically at a loss as to what the problem is. What is making this flippin light go off or better yet what is making the new converter clutch slip if it is actually slipping. I have no symptoms of clutch slippage. The truck runs like a dream until the light goes off and it slips into its fail safe or limp mode. I wanted to replace the Turbine shaft speed sensor but I found out that it is inside the tranny. I little to difficult for me to replace. I can't keep clearing the codes and driving it waiting for the stupid light to come back on. I am really beginning to become very disheartned with FORDS!

Old 11-14-2002, 08:45 PM
CNTHOR
Senior User
OD light flashing

when they rebuilt the transmission did they also rebuild the torque convertor. Most transmission shops are ripoffs. i wouldn't trust them for a moment.

if your torque convertor clutch is slipping then all you would notice would be a slight increase in RPM. you probably would notice any drop in power.

The clutch might be slipping only occasionaly enough for the computer to register the code. Not long enough for you to notice any symptoms.

I'm not sure what sensors are used by the PCM to determine whether or not the clutch is slipping.

But the shop manual says the following devices control power to the clutch

Torque Convertor Clutch Solenoid (TCC).. controls the apply and release pressure of the torque convertor clutch control valve

Coast Clutch solenoid (CSS).... controls the apply and release of the coast clutch

the following sensors are used by the PCM to control the torque convertor clutch engagement schedule.

transmission Fluid Temperature sensor (TFT)

Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor (TSS)

Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF)

Engine Coolant temperatur Sensor (ECT)

Intake Air temperature Sensor (IAT)

Throttle Position Sensor (TP)

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

Old 11-14-2002, 08:51 PM
CNTHOR
Senior User
OD light flashing

this is what the shop manual says

DTC 617 indicates an improper 1-2 shift.

DTC 618 indicates an improper 2-3 shift.

DTC 619 indicates an improper 3-4 shift.

DTC 628 indicates excessive converter clutch slip detected.

DTC 637 indicates transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor circuit above maximum voltage.

DTC 638 indicates transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor circuit below minimum voltage.

DTC 645 indicates an incorrect gear ratio after first gear was commanded.

DTC 646 indicates an incorrect gear ratio after second gear was commanded.

DTC 647 indicates an incorrect gear ratio after third gear was commanded.

DTC 648 indicates an incorrect gear ratio after fourth gear was commanded.

DTC 656 indicates continuous slip error was detected.

Possible causes:

-- Intermittent harness continuity.

-- Damaged Transmission Range (TR) Sensor.

-- Damaged shift solenoid.

-- Worn friction elements.

l Enter Key On Engine Off Continuous Monitor Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM). Refer to Quick Test Appendix, «Section 5A».

l Observe VOM or STAR Tester LED for an indication of a fault while performing the following:

-- Wiggle, shake or bend a small section of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) vehicle harness while working toward the dash panel, PCM and transmission connectors.

l Is a fault indicated?

Yes
DISCONNECT and INSPECT connector and harness wires. SERVICE as necessary. CLEAR Continuous Memory (REFER to Quick Test Appendix, «Section 5A»). RERUN «Quick Test». If the concern remains, REFER to Group 07 in Service Manual for possible internal transmission damage.

No
REFER to Group 07 in the Service Manual.

Old 11-14-2002, 09:42 PM
new_ford_chick
New User
OD light flashing

By gosh I think I've got it. Thanks for the responses though. I was reading some other post on this site and I came across someone else who after having his tranny fluid changed a few thousand miles later his O/D light started flashing. He was concerned that maybe the place he took it did not put in the proper tranny fluid. I thought "hmm, what a coincedence" I purchased this truck in june with a 121k miles on it. The O/D light was flashing at the time. Though it would be a cheap sensor to replace and not be a big deal. The previous owner had had the tranny fluid changed in may. After reading this other guys post I got to thinking if the right fluid was put in on that last change. Luckily I had all the receipts from everything ever done to this truck. Low and behold I find a receipt from may of this year from "Danny's family carousel" (basically a carwash) They changed the fluid at 118k miles. They did put in HAVOLINE DEXRON III!!!!! UH, hello. This tranny takes mercon V. When the rebuild was done they used type f. I am positive they did not do a complete flush and fill so now I have both fluids swooshing around in there. It makes complete sense now. I even put the Zmax in the tranny and when I did the OD light didnt come on as frequently. I am going to get it completely flushed and have mercon V put in. That should do it. If only I had read the receipt months earlier. I will keep you guys posted.

Old 11-14-2002, 09:50 PM
CNTHOR
Senior User
OD light flashing

I thought mercon V was only for '97 and later

I thought the '95 was supposed to use the older mercon fluid

Old 11-15-2002, 07:28 AM
Opera House Works
Elder User
OD light flashing

Most bottles of Mercon V that I have seen say it is compatable with the older Mercon. Mercon V is more synthetic and a much better fluid. It also has some added friction modifiers that can only help things work better. There is actually an additive bottle that will make Mercon into Mercon V. Isn't that scarry. As much as I distrust transmission shops, I find it hard to believe they would put F into this transmission. Personally, I would rather sell a car than have a transmission rebuilt by someone other than myself. I have found five mistakes on a rebuilt transmission I am working on. One is they left out one of the friction plates in the forward clutch, six steel and five friction, because they didn't have the right spacer in stock. Two other clutch packs had way under minimum clearance even after 70K. No wonder the fluid was black at the one year fluid change!

Old 11-19-2002, 05:48 PM
clia25
New User
OD light flashing

New Ford Chick. Did the tranny fluid change works. I have a 95 Eddie and have had that OD light problem for a couple of month now. Also this seem to a problem unique ot 95 explorer only. I cant seem to find it in other model car or model year.

Old 11-26-2002, 01:53 PM
ecasibang
New User
OD light flashing

got a 95 eddie myself and od has been flashing for a month and transmission is erratic between 1st & 2nd gear. I'm thinking of replacing the VSS.. can anybody please tell me where it's located ? .. thanks !

Old 11-27-2002, 11:25 AM
reberhardt
Elder User
OD light flashing

Your VSS will be at the end of your transmission tailshaft if you have 2WD or on the back side of the transfer case if you have 4WD.

Old 11-27-2002, 11:49 AM
bfischer
New User
OD light flashing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OD light flashing