Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Georgia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Freshman User

Yee-haw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good rebuild mechanic in n-ne Ga?

Looking for good mechanic to do a rebuild for me in the North Georgia area. Know anybody?
Old 06-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Posting Guru

old87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry hoss, I know some but not that I would recommend now.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Post Fiend

rebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud of
I am in the Atlanta area, ex 43 off of I-285s. I do good work and it all comes from word of mouth, I use to work at various dealers including Ford and last worked at Ryder as a diesel tech and have my PM certificate etc etc.

Do you just want to R&R the whole engine or do you want to rebuild it from a short block (I do not do that)? I do engine work, but, mostly heads and stuff. I have not done cranks and such since you really need a machine shop and clean inside garage to do a good job.

Is engine work what you want?

When I rebuilt the junker I bought I did not do anything much to the engine, but, replaced the complete brake system, most of the suspension, and welded a bunch of stuff up. So, I guess "rebuild" could cover a lot of different things.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Freshman User

Sorry for not being more specific.
Yes, mostly engine work is what I need. I have a 351m in a '79 F150. I'm wanting to make it a 400. (400 pistons, crank shaft, flywheel, harmonic balancer). Bored out .020 or .030. (I'll have a machine shop do the head work) New comp cam kit. New valves, lifters, springs, etc.
I really don't have the tools, know how, or a place to do work like this. I can take the engine out, but that's about as much as I would attempt, with my miniscule knowledge of engines. It's hard to just take my pride and joy to a regular old "joe schmo" down the road if I don't know if he knows what he's doing. I'm sure you understand.
You up to it?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Post Fiend

rebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud of
> It's hard to just take my pride and joy to a regular old "joe schmo" down the road

It is a wise thing not to. If I HAD to take my trucks anywhere, it would be to a blue oval certified dealer. I have seen enough bad things in many types of shops and dealerships. I even take my tires off and bring them to the tire shop to have new ones put on the rims, I distrust those shops that much. If I can not see my vehicle 10 feet from me I do not like them to touch it.

Sorry, I would have to skip it. I am just not set up for something like that and if it was my engine I would be taking it to a machine shop for the over 30 bore and magnaflux anyway. A bad bore job can ruin an otherwise fine block and cause a host of wierd problems including overheating.

I can not vouch for these people, though you might want to check them out:

http://www.butlers-a1.com/

I can say jasper engines (not to be confused with Jasper Rebuilders in Jasper GA) are pretty good. I have never heard anyone complain about them.

http://www.jasperengines.com
Old 06-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Freshman User

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Freshman User

78bubba ed. is starting off with a positive reputation.
my neighbor knows an excellent machine shop around here where he takes all of his porsche engines. He knows the people over there and they do a great job. its Lyle's speed & automotive _____ (the ink is smudged) the address is
9(0/6)28 maysville road, maysville, GA 30558. its printed on a magazine that he gave me, and ive had it for a while so its smudged up a bit, but ill get back to you later when i ask him about it.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Freshman User

Thanks, Bubba. That's great. Maysville isn't that far from here, so get any info about them you can. I appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Freshman User

here i got it from the yellow pages:
LYLES JAMES SPEED & AUTOMOTIVE CENTER
MAYSVILLE, GA 30558
Phone: (706) 652-2545
Old 06-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Freshman User

hope it helps
Old 06-24-2004, 02:10 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Georgia Chapter

Tags
a1comi, atlanta, ford, good, mechanic, wwwjobs