6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Intercooler Duct

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 08:15 PM
dpoelstra
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler Duct

These are known to blow off during heavy towing, as mine did, and the dealer replaced the entire duct from the turbo. Is this a redesigned part? Is anyone having problems with the new duct or does this fix the problem?

Old 06-19-2004, 09:34 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never had one blow off ....
guess I need to go drag it around some more :-)

Old 06-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
I've never had one blow off, but I did get it to blow oil out of that duct. I assume you mean the plastic tube from the intercooler to the aluminum air intake on the engine? Mine slid back about 1/4", but never blew off. That was with a combined weight of 18000 lbs. I've got an '04 CC XLT FX4.

Anyway, when I rolled into town I tore it all down, scrubbed the duct, and made sure those clamps were tight. I haven't had any problems since, but I'm doing another tow that should be around 16000 GCW in a week. I'll post my outcomes when I roll into cowboyland again.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Senior User
No problems here...I have read the many post of this happening so I removed the pipe and cleaned it and re-torqued all clamps after about 3k miles.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:18 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dpoelstra
These are known to blow off during heavy towing, as mine did, and the dealer replaced the entire duct from the turbo. Is this a redesigned part? Is anyone having problems with the new duct or does this fix the problem?

Clean all parts with Brake Parts Cleaner, leaves no residue.
I tighten a bit more than the way it cam from the factory, never had a problem sense...........did it twice before I figured out to clean very good.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:54 AM
dpoelstra
Senior User
I did the cleaning thing, but it blew off again. Took it to the dealer and there was a service bulletin to replace the entire duct assembly with a new part number.

I am concerned about it blowing off again. The dealer replaced the entire assembly, the hoses, the clamps and the duct itself. Someone must know what the changes are to this, and if this in fact fixes the problem.

Old 06-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
I did the cleaning thing, but it blew off again. Took it to the dealer and there was a service bulletin to replace the entire duct assembly with a new part number.

I am concerned about it blowing off again. The dealer replaced the entire assembly, the hoses, the clamps and the duct itself. Someone must know what the changes are to this, and if this in fact fixes the problem.
Here is an easy fix that we use on our turbo drag car. Disassemble and clean the tubes and hoses with brake parts cleaner. Spray all surfaces with hair spray or a light contact adhesive. Let dry, reassemble.

This makes it just tacky enough it won't slide but still comes apart easily. By the way, don't tighten past full compression on the bolt springs, you can crush the tube.

Old 06-20-2004, 02:43 PM
dpoelstra
Senior User
BUT THERE IS S ERVICE BULLETIN TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE DUCT SYSTEM...

I just want to know if this fixes the problem. There was obviously a design issue if they redesigned the part. I have an entirely new duct system, that if I understand it correctly, has a different part number than the original.

I don't want to have to clean the thing, and then have it blow off on a 1600 mile tow, then have to clean it along side the freeway.

Everyone is telling me how to fix it when the proper thing to do is have the dealer replace the thing, not continually clean it.

I want to know if the replacement if the fix, or not?

Last edited by dpoelstra; 06-20-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:18 PM
gonnasellit_temp
Senior User
I just had a hose blow off the turbo side of the intercooler. Thanks to this forum I immediately knew what had happened. It makes quite a boom and a LOT of smoke! I haven't seen the new design yet (national backorder), but my dealer tells me the retainer grooves in the tubes are deeper and the mating surfaces of the hoses are redesigned to fit them. He says none he has replaced have come back yet. The old hoses are also known to split. I keep a roll of 2" fiberglass tape in my truck just in case. It's a slow go towing without boost.

Old 06-20-2004, 03:21 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to know if this fixes the problem. There was obviously a design issue if they redesigned the part. I have an entirely new duct system, that if I understand it correctly, has a different part number than the original.

I don't want to have to clean the thing, and then have it blow off on a 1600 mile tow, then have to clean it along side the freeway.

Everyone is telling me how to fix it when the proper thing to do is have the dealer replace the thing, not continually clean it.

Does this apply to 04 builds also? My engine has (or rather, did ) have a build date of 01/04...Just curious if mine already has the updated tubes, or if i need them. I guess, though, if mine was gonna blow a boost tube, it would have already done so.

Old 06-20-2004, 03:26 PM
dpoelstra
Senior User
My original 03 had insulation on it, my neighbor's 04 had no insulation, and my new one looks just like his, with no insulation.

Thanks for the info gonnasellit! I heard they were on backorder too, but mine was here overnight.

Old 06-20-2004, 04:39 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator

I have never lost mine after the clean and retighten to greater than FORD does.

I have done it in the middle of nowhere at 3AM beside the road
fun fun fun

Old 06-20-2004, 05:49 PM
RBGF150
Junior User
I haven't had this blow-off yet, but if it happens, how drivable is the truck?
How much power does it generate without towing anything?

Old 06-20-2004, 07:34 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
ZERO power, I blew the end off of the intercooler and had to drive 34 miles into town towing real big trailer..........ug.........IMO the only way you can do it, (drive it in that is) if you have an EGT gauge, because it will sky rocket.

Must be very careful.

Now when you blow the tube off just stop and fix it, that is why I suggest to do it in the garage first time, clean retighten and all. Then hopefully you will never have to do it. But if you do..............been there done that

Old 06-20-2004, 08:34 PM
dpoelstra
Senior User
Cleaning it is all fine and dandy, but the bottom line is there is a design problem which makes the thing blow off. Mine blew off in the Arizona desert on the way to the Grand Canyon towing the fifth wheel. I fixed it on the road, then took it apart at the campground. Cleaned it thourougly. Got it real tight. Blew off again 300 miles later.

Quit the cleaning and tightening. Take it to the dealer and have-em change it! I am just hoping that the new duct assembly fixes the problem. I know that there have been a ton of these blow off, but I haven't heard how the new assembly hold up. The dealer says that fixes it, but you never know.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Duct