1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Resto-rodding a 56

Old 06-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Neil Hollingsworth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resto-rodding a 56

Gentleman,
I'm in the middle of resto-rodding my 56 F100, I have a Volare' front clip on it and would like to connect the power steering. Does anyone know of a ready made adapter to allow a power steering pump and an A/C compressor to be mounted on the ole "Y" block? Another question, I adapted an early Cruisamatic automatic tranny in place of the old 3 spd, now I need some sort of linkage in order to shift it. I have a 78 Ranchero tilt wheel but the steering column doesn't protrude through the floor boards far enough to use the original column shifter.
Any help will be appreciated.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:02 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Neil,

I also have a Volare clip and have recently gone through the PS thing on my 48 F-3 but I used a different engine and different PS pump, so probably no help on that. I was surprised however at how easy it was to fabricate a bracket for the Chrysler PS pump. It's a Saginaw pump and Saginaw made pumps for a variety of makes, so chances are that different make brackets will fit it. I was able to use a GM bracket with some minor fabrication to fit my engine. The hardest part was getting the proper pulleys so that everything lines up. I don't know the length of the Ranchero column, but No-Limit recommends 32-33 inches in length for 48-56 Fords. Sounds like your column may be too short if it doesn't protrude far enough in to the engine compartment to use the column shift bracket. If you are dead set on using that particular column, I'd look at a floor shifter of some kind. Check with Lokar or Gennie. I doubt if they make one specifically for a Cruisamatic, but maybe one for a C4 could be modified. Otherwise, you need to go with a longer column. Sometimes you can get away with using a shorter column by using a deeper dished steering wheel. You might look at that possibility.

Vern

Old 06-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Neil Hollingsworth
New User
Resto-rodding a 56

Thanks Greatnorthwoods,
The problem at hand is the "Y" block and it's lack of "extra" bolt holes that can be used for mounting brackets. I've seen home made adapters that incorporate some of the timing chain cover bolts but unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to measure nor take pictures that I could use at the stage I'm at right now. I have a deeper dish steering wheel that makes the seat to steering wheel a comfortable combination. I'll look into Lokar or Gennies web sites and see what they offer that I might be able to use.
Thanks again

Old 06-19-2004, 07:39 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Neil,

I used a combination of water pump bolts and a side motor mount hole to mount my PS. Even coming off intake manifold bolts near the front may be possible. I can't picture a 'Y' block right now. Surely some 'Y' blocks came with PS in some applications. Perhaps you can find an old PS bracket and build from that.

Vern

Old 06-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Neil Hollingsworth
New User
After some experimentation, I decided to use the original Volare' PS pump. I've fabricated ( my second set) of mounting brackets and think I may have a useable set this time. The A/C compressor is still a problem for reconning. This has been 8 long years in the making and I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel,....I think!

Old 06-30-2004, 04:43 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Neil,

Good move. Now you won't have to worry having the pump pressure match the steering box. I made my own A/C bracket for a SBC engine some years ago. It can be done. All it takes is a little ingenuity, a welder, and some patience. BTW, make sure that light at the end of the tunnel isn't attached to the front end of a freight train...lol!

Vern

Old 06-30-2004, 08:16 AM
Neil Hollingsworth
New User
Ok, now that I've narrowed down the choices of gas tanks, after going to gastanks.com I'm still confused. I kind of like the idea of the fuel filler being located under the tag, makes with a nice clean bed and no possible gas spills on all that beautiful oak. Can somebody tell me "exactly" which tank it is that has this top rear center fill feature, pointed towards the rear, so I can attach the filler neck to hidden under the license tag? I also understand I'll need one of those spring loaded license tag holders in order to accomplish what I'm after. Some years back I ordered a rolled pan to smooth up the area under the bed. It's still in the box, but I believe it has a recessed license plate area, this should work nicely........in my mind anyway. Of course I prefer the larger capacity tank (20 or 22 gallon), I've narrowed it down to model f32b or f28c or, or,??? Does anyone know exactly?, do these tanks came with the filler neck attached or will this be another "builder" task? I can see the necessity of laying the wooden bed back on even if temperarily and setting the bed box back on if nothing else in order to make sure the roll pan license holder and the fuel tank filler are in proper alignment.

Thank you all gentlemen, I wish I'd have known of this sight much sooner.

Last edited by Neil Hollingsworth; 06-30-2004 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Neil Hollingsworth
New User
Thanks Daryl for the info about brackets. It just so happens I'll be in the Rvierside area in about 2 weeks helping a sister and BIL pack up and move. They just sold their house in Riverside, I'll use this opportunity to look around and see what all brackets available I might use. Like I mentioned, the only real problem I can forsee at this stage is mounting an A/C bracket. It did occur to me though that I'll could possibly need an additonal crank pulley besides the two already on the crank. Luckily I have friends in the machine shop industry that are more than willing to fab most anything I might need. If I find it necessary, I may have them whip me out a custom pulley setup with 3 pulleys coming off the crank. Too bad I can't use some of the Engineers and their abilites that I used to work with as well.

Old 06-30-2004, 05:01 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm gonna dig out my Classic trucks Magazines for you. I think in the Y-block build up they put had A/C and Power steering on it.

Old 06-30-2004, 05:17 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
They didn't put a power steering pump on the Y-block but they did put A/C though. They got the bracket from:

Vintage Air
10305 IH 35 North, Dept, CT
San Antonio, TX 78233
(800) 862-6658

Hope this helps

Old 06-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Neil Hollingsworth
New User
Thanks 51dueller,
Any help is appreciated. I'm familiar with Vintage Air but have never had the occasion to contact them. I'll see if I can scare up a web site for them or call them and see what they have to offer in the way of A/C brackets on "Y" blocks. Thinking I was being clever by staying with the ole "Y" block, I'm finding this wasn't the best decision, however I'm too far into this project to change engines now.

Search this Thread