Edge juice + propane injection

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 10:50 PM
kingfish
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Edge juice + propane injection

Just ordered at 05 shortbox DRW 4x4 with a 6.0 I am looking at installing the Edge system with ATS propane injection. Has anyone done this combo and if so what are the pros and cons. I tow a 15500 boat, am I going to need ATS trans and converter upgrade? Is my EGT going to be my limiting factor in towing? and should I be looking at water injection to keep my temp down on long hills?

Old 06-18-2004, 10:54 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kingfish
Just ordered at 05 shortbox DRW 4x4 with a 6.0 I am looking at installing the Edge system with ATS propane injection. Has anyone done this combo and if so what are the pros and cons. I tow a 15500 boat, am I going to need ATS trans and converter upgrade? Is my EGT going to be my limiting factor in towing? and should I be looking at water injection to keep my temp down on long hills?
why propane? and how does that 05 look?

Old 06-18-2004, 10:59 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will just let you know from experience; running both a module and a propane system is pushing the limit of what the stock motor will handle. Adding water to the mix WILL destroy something; it is not an if, but a when, and when it does, it wont be pretty. I blew a head gasket on a chip and water alone. If you plan to run this amount of power, you MUST have the heads o-ringed, and ceramic pistons would be recommended.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:09 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
haha highly recommended!!! ceramic is a magical thing.

ive seen diesels melt down at 1600deg, but ive seen em w/ ceramic bury a 2000deg gauge and drive home beggin for more!!! very cool stuff

Old 06-25-2004, 01:30 AM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
I will just let you know from experience; running both a module and a propane system is pushing the limit of what the stock motor will handle. Adding water to the mix WILL destroy something; it is not an if, but a when, and when it does, it wont be pretty. I blew a head gasket on a chip and water alone. If you plan to run this amount of power, you MUST have the heads o-ringed, and ceramic pistons would be recommended.
Propane plus the addition of a module, tuner or chip is still well within the limits of what the engine can handle assuming there are no pre-existing defficiencies. Propane actually provides a complete burn of all the fuel you are already injecting into the cylinder plus of course since it is also a fuel there is a moderate increase in power due to its own ignition. A properly tuned propane system poses no threat to the engine in their factory settings. Turning the flow rate up on the system while running a tuner chip or module that has already advanced the fuel timing can contribute to predetonation. If this is the case, it is still possible to have your tuner or chip loaded with a custom tune that takes the advance back out of the fuel timing and just adds fuel, whereupon predetonation is no longer an issue. I have never read of or heard of any engine failures related to propane that were not due to either a home made system(no safeguards for flow rates) and or people just cranking the propane up to its highest setting. For the purposes of the original poster, he probably doesnt even need a custom tune just for towing... You mentioned you blew your engine running a chip and water....?? I read your post where you said you were running a 60/40 methonol to water ratio with a chip or a tuner I cant remember which. You also stated you were doing a top end prolonged run @ 130mph without guages and I would probably be correct in assuming you chip or tuner was on the highest setting. No offense, but you were trying to blow your engine!! I would venture to say even if both systems propane or water/meth were used responsibly, the propane would be safer and the only reason to need to 0 ring the heads in either case is if you were going to push 35-40+PSI consistantly. The propane along with a chip/tuner will yeild 35 max. BTW sorry about your engine. The twin turbo stroker you are building is gonna be awesome, good luck with it!

Old 06-25-2004, 03:27 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigdieseldav
Propane plus the addition of a module, tuner or chip is still well within the limits of what the engine can handle assuming there are no pre-existing defficiencies. Propane actually provides a complete burn of all the fuel you are already injecting into the cylinder plus of course since it is also a fuel there is a moderate increase in power due to its own ignition. A properly tuned propane system poses no threat to the engine in their factory settings. Turning the flow rate up on the system while running a tuner chip or module that has already advanced the fuel timing can contribute to predetonation. If this is the case, it is still possible to have your tuner or chip loaded with a custom tune that takes the advance back out of the fuel timing and just adds fuel, whereupon predetonation is no longer an issue. I have never read of or heard of any engine failures related to propane that were not due to either a home made system(no safeguards for flow rates) and or people just cranking the propane up to its highest setting. For the purposes of the original poster, he probably doesnt even need a custom tune just for towing... You mentioned you blew your engine running a chip and water....?? I read your post where you said you were running a 60/40 methonol to water ratio with a chip or a tuner I cant remember which. You also stated you were doing a top end prolonged run @ 130mph without guages and I would probably be correct in assuming you chip or tuner was on the highest setting. No offense, but you were trying to blow your engine!! I would venture to say even if both systems propane or water/meth were used responsibly, the propane would be safer and the only reason to need to 0 ring the heads in either case is if you were going to push 35-40+PSI consistantly. The propane along with a chip/tuner will yeild 35 max. BTW sorry about your engine. The twin turbo stroker you are building is gonna be awesome, good luck with it!
You are correct with pretty much everything in that statement. I suppose most people are never going to try what I did; and the limits i pushed was the cause of the engine failure. However, I could see the exact same thing happening pulling a 15k fifth wheel up a 9% grade, with propane OR methanol and a chip on stock heads (at full throttle). The boost and cylinder pressures would be at least equal in that scenario, as in an unloaded top end run. If you didnt blast up the hill full throttle, I suppose you wouldnt have to worry about it. However, full throttle may be neccesarry for some people who are towing large loads. I should have rephrased my earlier statement; i should have said O-rings are neccessary if the truck is going to be under full load for a prolonged period of time, be it a top end run or towing a trailer. As you said, though, if you dont have the flow maxed out its not so much of an issue The o-rings would still be money well spent, just for insurance IMO.

I will put pictures of the toasted motor in my gallery as soon as i get it back.
I am hoping to have the TT motor in the truck, with the rebuilt transmission, and reenforced driveline, in operable condition by Christmas. First of the year is my goal to have it totally done.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:56 AM
powershotone
Junior User
Dave,

You are absolutely correct. Quadzilla taught you well. It's not intended to be a radical mod, some people just use it that way.