Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Color for my Lightning clone???

Old 06-17-2004, 12:26 AM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Color for my Lightning clone???

I have an '01 F150 reg cab flareside sport that I have recently turned into a lightning "clone". I have the headlights(ford's), taillights, corners(ford's), Ford's body kit(not an aftermarket kit), both ford factory grilles, and even the LED brakelight. I want to paint this truck so it stands out- so It wont be red blue silver white or black lol. Just kidding. But seriously- what would be an attractive color for this truck? I want to really make a statement. I was thinking about a candy green- what are your thoughts on this??
Scott
FYI- future mods for this truck include a carbureted supercharged big block- when I get the money to do this drastic of a modification...hahaha

Old 06-17-2004, 02:46 PM
Alton Ray
Junior User
I think the candy green would be 'sweet'! Are you gonna get the Lightning name plates too?

AR

Old 06-17-2004, 10:04 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
I was thinking about leaving the truck badgeless....what do you think?
Scott

Old 06-17-2004, 11:54 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
Or what do ya think about about the "copper" color that was used on 98-01 rangers?
Scott

Old 06-18-2004, 09:48 AM
tsc
Senior User
Candy green or candy red would be really sweet. Do yourself a favor and leave the Lightning badges off (the lightning owners would crucify you). As to the copper, I'm personally not partial to it.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Alton Ray
Junior User
tsc is probably right. I would leave the badges off if i were you. I'm sure your truck is pretty sweet but it's a long way from a L. My vote is still for the candy green, your not gonna see very many trucks the same as yours if you do that.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:09 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I myself dont care for "clones"...doesn't matter what you do to it, it's still not the real thing so whats the point. If you like some of the lightnings styling cues then sure, use them, but like the others said just don't copy it to a tee and get the badges trying to pass it off as an L. I would try and find some paint samples, say out of a PPG catalog and try to find something you like.

Old 06-19-2004, 07:43 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
Well that is what I'm saying guys- I dont have a lightning and don't intend to try and make people believe it's one by using the badges- I definitely love the smoothness of the lightning's style- which triggered my transformation. I just want my truck to look good- and in my humble opinion, the lightnings look damnn good! Like I said it is V6 5spd- so it will never be a lightning- but rather my customized F150. This is another reason I want a vibrant color, to set it off from the lightning crowd(so there is no confusion) thanks for the remarks guys! Any more would be great!
Scott

Old 06-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Paint it to set it off, but be humble about the truck if people ask you about it.

As for the engine...why go carbed big block? Stick a 5.4 in there..and maybe supercharge that with a KB. Modern truck...go modern engine.

Whatever happens..if you're going to do the truck up like this..you NEED to get the new engine/trans in there. That is something I hate...people dump everything into the exterior, with nothing underneath...

Your truck sound slike it is going to be awesome though - PICTURES

Old 06-22-2004, 10:00 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
The reason I opted to go for the the old school motor is because I was once reading a mag(I believe Truckin) and saw a late 90's dodge with a 440. It was done well- and you couldn't tell until you opened the hood. I fell in love with the idea. Being a ford guy, had to be the new f150 and the 460. I guess what I'm getting at is that, all of my projects to date have been relatively easy...and this wouldn't be that. It would be very different- that's for sure...
Scott
PS- I'm not what you would call "qualified" when it comes to messing with EFI computers- last time I tried I ended up selling the EFI unit and going with carb anyway. haha

Old 06-24-2004, 02:09 PM
bazzmaninky
New User
hey why not look at "wipple" or "BBK"(maybe others too?) for a roots-style super charger for that V-6 thats already in your F-150??...that would wake that V6 up and you would have something different than everyone else...but i agree with the others..please dont put lightning badges on it!

Old 06-24-2004, 06:05 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
Well I'm definitely leaving the badges off(I didn't want them in the first place)- I like the cleaner look anyhow. The V6 now has 119,000 miles on it(got it brand new 3 yrs ago the 21st of this month) and it won't be paid off for 2 more. Who knows how many miles it will have when I get a vehicle to replace it and it's paid off. So I don't know how valuable the engine will be to me at this point. Plus, I don't want to do anything drastic to the motor while this is my primary truck, in case something goes wrong and Im left driving 70+ miles a day in a big block 4wd. The 17mpg I get from the v6 isn't great, but it's a lot better than the 5-6 I get out of my 460 4x4, ya know?!? Plus, the big block would be much more different than than the s/c v6....and I've already begun on the big block for it. Just my thoughts.
Scott

Old 09-24-2004, 03:03 PM
George diB
New User
Scott,
It is your truck. You do what ever you want with it. That is the great thing about the auto hobby, everyone has the chance to do there own thing and express there own ideas.Don't listen to the elitist who don't want anyone to copy there precious truck. Have you tried to install the Lightning SVT gauges in your project. If so I would like to hear about it. Keep up the good work.
GdiB

Old 09-24-2004, 03:10 PM
R_Rider
Junior User
I think Ford missed out by not offering a Lightning in one of the bright yellows, like Corvette yellow, Ferrari yellow, etc. You could address that situation.

Ford had a nice DARK red on cars around '99-'03. Very different from the Lightning but sharp.

Old 10-10-2004, 04:51 PM
68torino
Posting Guru
With GT racing stripes on hood and roof maybe....what would look good against dark metallic red or green.....With the right red, white metallic would work not the plain white. With a dark green metallic or candy apple a gold metallic would work great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Color for my Lightning clone???