1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'60 Ford truck oil consumption mystery

Old 06-16-2004, 01:51 PM
jack magee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post '60 Ford truck oil consumption mystery

I am looking to buy a 1960 Ford f100.The owner tells me it uses oil,but it runs fine(no smoke) and it doesn't leak it.I have talked to several mechanics and farmers.I have talked to 3 and they all have seen the problem but never been able to locate the culprit.I am thinking it is burning it,but it doesn't smoke and he is telling me the it is using over a quart a tank of gas.It has a straight 6 and three on the tree If anyone knows the solution to this problem I would appreciate it if they would share it with me.
Thanks,
Frank

Last edited by jack magee; 06-16-2004 at 01:57 PM. Reason: wrong year
Old 06-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Scott123
Elder User
I would think a quart per tank of gas would smoke enough to see, it doesn't take much oil to make a lot of smoke. I wonder if there's a leak spraying out when it's running but not leaving any residue on the motor itself? Might try running the motor while you're looking underneath to see if that's happening. Otherwise, ask if you can remove some of the spark plugs and look at them--that much oil consumption would probably foul the plugs enough you could tell which cylinder(s) had a problem.

Scott

Old 06-16-2004, 05:43 PM
jack magee
New User
Yea you would think that.The only thing is,is that all three of the guys that I have talked to describe the exact symtoms.One of the mechanics that I talked said he went through everything short of overhaul and discovered nothing.This is a 30 year mechanic that I have never known to be stumped by anything.I have looked under the truck(not running) and it is pretty much dry.I will try it running tomorrow.
Thanks

Old 06-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
J.M.

I'm having a similar problem but consuming 2 1/2 qts a week, so I'd be interested in a salution as well.

Originally Posted by jack magee
I am looking to buy a 1960 Ford f100.The owner tells me it uses oil,but it runs fine(no smoke) and it doesn't leak it.I have talked to several mechanics and farmers.I have talked to 3 and they all have seen the problem but never been able to locate the culprit.I am thinking it is burning it,but it doesn't smoke and he is telling me the it is using over a quart a tank of gas.It has a straight 6 and three on the tree If anyone knows the solution to this problem I would appreciate it if they would share it with me.
Thanks,
Frank

Old 06-21-2004, 10:55 PM
jack magee
New User
Well I think I have found the source but not the solution.I am loosing oil out of the blow-by tube.I don't know what can be done.I think there is a filter in it,so I am going to replace when I find it.

Old 06-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Spitfire44
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re:Blow by

If it's coming out of the blow by tube it's either the piston rings not sealing, the valves not sealing, or the valves guides leaking. Where can oil go. Either it leaks out of the engine or it enters the combustion chamber and gets burned out the exhaust or pressurized out of the combustion chamber creating blow by. A leak down test it the only sure way to identify where the cylindar leakage is coming from.

Old 06-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HeyJack, I suggest that you try changing the oil and replacing it with a thicker viscosity. If your rings are worn, it may help the situation. 40 weight should not be a problem. This is a low-cost solution. If that doesn't help, then maybe a can of STP might do the trick. Good luck, John

Old 06-22-2004, 04:16 PM
jack magee
New User
Good ideas.Think I'll try the cheap way first to see how much I can reduce the consumption.If still excessive,then I'll have to have the leakdown done.Thanks alot guys!

Old 06-22-2004, 07:10 PM
57_ford
Elder User
I know this may sound far fetched, but I bet it is burning it. You just can not see it in the day light. Try driving it at night and looking in the mirror when someone is behind you might see the smoke in their headlights. My truck did that for years before I rebuilt the engine.

Old 06-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
'57

See that's the weird thing about this whole situation.
There is Black Soot in my Tail Pipe, "no" Oil Residue & I get "real horrible" Petral Milage.

Cheers
Flashy
Red '58 Mercury M-100 W/ 223 & Merc-O-Matic

Originally Posted by 57_ford
I know this may sound far fetched, but I bet it is burning it. You just can not see it in the day light. Try driving it at night and looking in the mirror when someone is behind you might see the smoke in their headlights. My truck did that for years before I rebuilt the engine.

Old 06-22-2004, 07:31 PM
jack magee
New User
I replaced the plugs and wires.The plugs were fine.There was no indication of it burning oil.Actually I changed the oil(used 30wt)after I picked up the truck and I am now having a problem figuring out what the guy was talking about it using oil.I have driven it about 200 miles.I checked it after the other guys suggestions and I can't tell it has used any oil.I did see the blow-by tube drip oil right after running.I may have posted a false problem.Sorry.I do now know what to do if I really do have a problem.

Old 06-22-2004, 07:53 PM
57_ford
Elder User
[QUOTE=Col Flashman]'57

See that's the weird thing about this whole situation.
There is Black Soot in my Tail Pipe, "no" Oil Residue & I get "real horrible" Petral Mileage

Col, I think it may be possable that if raw gas was getting into your oil by maybe a leakey fuel pump or a leaking carb or rich running it would thin the oil (when hot) and cause it to pull the oil pass the rings and burning it and if the engine is in good shape it would burn it compleatly clean and it may not have oil residue in the exhaust. Does the situation get better when you change the oil? May be the problem with the petral mileage. Maybe Jacks engine may have may have the same problem but if Jacks engine had a miss it could have been fixed with the new plugs and wires. Jack I would just keep an eye on it.