Just turbo'd my 300 six

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:34 PM
bigyellerdawg1991
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I was trying to think of sequential, and compound came out. lol

I had an inkling feeding different sized turbos with different exhaust banks wouldn't work. No harm in asking.

I figured a sequential twin setup would be like putting a wastegate on a centrifugal supercharger. In that scenario, you pully the charger for MAX BOOST (likely 25+psi) so it spools to high heaven quickly, but use the wastegate to limit boost to, say, 12-15psi. Makes it work basically like a roots blower. With the sequential twins, use the small turbo to spool the larger turbo,(or like Mr Ecoboost 300 up there, use 2 small turbos) and if properly sized, you *should* be able to achieve max boost at a significantly lower rpm. Using this method would theoretically allow one to use a larger turbo, like the 5.9 cummins instead of the 6.5 chevy...or whatever aftermarket new age high efficiency turbo you'd like to spend money on.

Combine this with a cam, head work, port matching...all of those little things, and I think one would have a very nice running motor. Coupled with an overdrive transmission, highway mileage would theoretically (there I go using that word again) be pretty darn nice.

Only downfall to the twin turbo setup is it would generate a lot of %@#$@#! heat under the hood. Intercoolers, heat wrap, and all that would be necessitated.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:55 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Surprisingly the 5.9 cummins turbo has a fairly small exhaust housing. The hx35 has a perfect size exh housing for a decent rpm spooling 300-6. The hy35 has a smaller exh housing which would spool very quick on a 300-6. They both put out more air than the 300-6 can use and do it fairly efficiently. You still need an intercooler. Gas engines can't utilize the heat like a diesel. Under hood temps aren't too bad. The 300 is a hot running rig as it is.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 PM
msweetz13
New User
advice for the new guy?

So I have a 95 with a 93 300 efi engine in it, am I able to just throw a turbo on the passenger side, run the air through an innercooler to the driver side and hook it up to my TB and be done? What all should I do in terms of injectors and electronics. I also don't have ANY emissions equipment on this truck if that is of any importance to the process, the I removed it all when I rebuilt the engine about 12,000 ago... Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
I don't expect you to read ALL 300+ posts in this thread, but I really think you would have ALL of your questions answered and more, if you invested some time in reading this. This thread is packed with info.
As far as injectors, post 325 of mine gives a suggestion of an fmu and stock injectors for now. The electronics depend on which trans you have and how much boost you want to run.
Basically your routing is this, manifolds to turbo to muffler... Then filter to turbo to intercooler to tb, how you get it in that order does not matter. Keep cold piping consistent in size, until the tb. I would reccomend drawing air through the mass air meter if you're equipped. You'll need a bypass valve to vent compressed air from between tb and turbo, to between the filter and turbo (especially if you have mass air)

Read, read, and read some more. As questions for clarification. These projects are fun.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No. If you're asking a question like that, you shouldn't even be thinking about turbocharging your vehicle. You have months of research ahead of you.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 PM
msweetz13
New User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
No. If you're asking a question like that, you shouldn't even be thinking about turbocharging your vehicle. You have months of research ahead of you.
Well I not intend to seem completely ignorant on the subject, although I am infact aware of my lack of research on this topic; I am only 18 though and have spent the past few years restoring this truck and rebuilding the entire drive train, from the rearr end all the way to the engine I have had my hands and tools on every single part of each piece of the drivetrain. Now haqving said that I clearly have no expierence with anything but naturally asperated engines. So I was just wondering what factors I should be worried about with the efi system, such as my IAC and similar vacuum related controls.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 PM
msweetz13
New User
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
I don't expect you to read ALL 300+ posts in this thread, but I really think you would have ALL of your questions answered and more, if you invested some time in reading this. This thread is packed with info.
As far as injectors, post 325 of mine gives a suggestion of an fmu and stock injectors for now. The electronics depend on which trans you have and how much boost you want to run.
Basically your routing is this, manifolds to turbo to muffler... Then filter to turbo to intercooler to tb, how you get it in that order does not matter. Keep cold piping consistent in size, until the tb. I would reccomend drawing air through the mass air meter if you're equipped. You'll need a bypass valve to vent compressed air from between tb and turbo, to between the filter and turbo (especially if you have mass air)

Read, read, and read some more. As questions for clarification. These projects are fun.
Ok thanks man! I read the first few pages then I was like dang this is A LOT!!! but I do not has a MAF and I have the e40d transmission and I mainly want the boost to help my week accelerating second gear. So im thinking like 40 pounds?

lol jkjk , I know thats not feasible, more like 6-10 pounds I guess? I dont really know what would be good tbh... its just that my second gear is REALLY slow, I have a 410 rear gear so my first is really good, it takes me like 3 seconds to get to 35, then like 10 more to get to 60, its literally that slow...

Idk what all I should use or do, so Ill keep reading! thanks for the quick answers though!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:31 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
I would start junkyard hopping and look for a cheap hx35 off a manual trans dodge cummins. There is the older h1c, but it's exhaust housing is too large for what you want. Research what an hx35 is. You'll need a 34mm wastegate min, probably a 44 will be better to limit boost to 6psi.
Research mass air swap for your truck. With the e4od you need the computer to make the trans work. Then you need to research quarterhorse and if it will program your ecu. There's a code on the grey plug going into the ecu you'll have to use to look it up.

If you're serious about this, do it in steps and gather parts as you go. If you find a sweet deal on a turbo then get it, but you need other upgrades first.
Fuel pumps, injectors, mass air, trans cooler, tuning, install ic, 460 radiator, and lots of other stuff.

This is a great thread to read, but as I suggested to another, maybe start your own build thread. And once you get 25 posts, put a signature.

Again... Read. We all appreciate it when you're already on the page we are talking about when answering your questions. We enjoy helping, we don't like holding peoples hands to do their project though.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 PM
msweetz13
New User
I would start junkyard hopping and look for a cheap hx35 off a manual trans dodge cummins. There is the older h1c, but it's exhaust housing is too large for what you want. Research what an hx35 is. You'll need a 34mm wastegate min, probably a 44 will be better to limit boost to 6psi.
Research mass air swap for your truck. With the e4od you need the computer to make the trans work. Then you need to research quarterhorse and if it will program your ecu. There's a code on the grey plug going into the ecu you'll have to use to look it up.

If you're serious about this, do it in steps and gather parts as you go. If you find a sweet deal on a turbo then get it, but you need other upgrades first.
Fuel pumps, injectors, mass air, trans cooler, tuning, install ic, 460 radiator, and lots of other stuff.

This is a great thread to read, but as I suggested to another, maybe start your own build thread. And once you get 25 posts, put a signature.

Again... Read. We all appreciate it when you're already on the page we are talking about when answering your questions. We enjoy helping, we don't like holding peoples hands to do their project though.
Ok thanks! I'll start my own thread on this shortly! I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand, just warnings of issues that I'll run into, and it seems like you did a great job at that! I do already have a really nice radiator and trans cooler, and oil cooler actually, and I have room for an innercooler that's sitting at my house, idk what brand or anything I just got it from my uncle (he owns a shop about 2 hours from me). I planed on just getting the main idea from you all and working through design details with him, and one last question, should a turbo off of a 6.0 work? My uncle has PLENTY of those that I can use...

Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
The 6liter ford has a variable vane exhaust housing, which has a solenoid to move the vanes... There is no controller for it. If you can figure out how to operate it, give it a whirl. I haven't had my hands on one to check it out. But usually when they get removed, they are gummed up severely, or bad. Gummed up just takes time to fix.

See if your uncle has a turbo off a 99-03 7.3. That turbo has a smaller exhaust housing than the 94-97 psd, but has a round flange instead of the t4 flange. You'll just need to get creative, like use the factory y pipe to connect to your manifolds or something.

As far as my hand holding comment, it was a generalized comment. There are so many people, young and old, that won't put any effort into researching their problem... Hence the hand holding. They just want us to fix it for them from over the internet.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 PM
msweetz13
New User
The 6liter ford has a variable vane exhaust housing, which has a solenoid to move the vanes... There is no controller for it. If you can figure out how to operate it, give it a whirl. I haven't had my hands on one to check it out. But usually when they get removed, they are gummed up severely, or bad. Gummed up just takes time to fix.

See if your uncle has a turbo off a 99-03 7.3. That turbo has a smaller exhaust housing than the 94-97 psd, but has a round flange instead of the t4 flange. You'll just need to get creative, like use the factory y pipe to connect to your manifolds or something.

As far as my hand holding comment, it was a generalized comment. There are so many people, young and old, that won't put any effort into researching their problem... Hence the hand holding. They just want us to fix it for them from over the internet.
dang you know your stuff, Im used to being in your position lol. And yeah I took no offence to your comment, I have friend who "love working on cars", yet they want me to do everything for them when I come over. And yeah he may have one of those, he actually just put one on his 460 in his mud truck! Ill talk to him this weekend! thanks again for your help!!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by msweetz13
Well I not intend to seem completely ignorant on the subject, although I am infact aware of my lack of research on this topic; I am only 18 though and have spent the past few years restoring this truck and rebuilding the entire drive train, from the rearr end all the way to the engine I have had my hands and tools on every single part of each piece of the drivetrain. Now haqving said that I clearly have no expierence with anything but naturally asperated engines. So I was just wondering what factors I should be worried about with the efi system, such as my IAC and similar vacuum related controls.
Okay well, at the risk of sounding a bit to harsh: Everything. Your stock '93 Speed-Density EFI system is untuneable and worthless. Your stock injectors are too small to support any kind of boost. Your stock fuel pump is too small. There is no support for your computer, and your MAP sensor is not capable of reading boost, nor are there any Ford-style MAP sensors that can read boost.

Your truck will need to be converted to a mass-air system, you will need much larger injectors, and you will need proper tuning to convert a V8 EEC (as there you are limited in what you can use with the E4OD) to 6 cylinder operation.

Talking about turbo plumbing, etc.. is the last thing you should be worried about right now. You need to read up and understand EFI systems, injectors, and specifically Ford EEC-IV tuning. It's just too much to explain in one post, and you will need to do research.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:41 PM
samthomas647
New User
Turbo an inline 6.

My names Sam and I have a 96 inline 6, 5 speed 4x4 and I live close to Denver Colorado and I'm always going up the mountains and a turbo would help so much with that. I just have a few questions for you, example, mass airflow sensor, injectors, o2, and other computer parts that the turbo might play with. If you wouldn't mind. Shoot me an email at samuel.thomas647@gmail.com. I'd appreciate it!

Old 11-04-2014, 11:40 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
I can email you later with all of this as well, but for adding to this thread a little, here we go...

Being that your truck is a 96, is it already mass air and obd2?
You'll need to start with a few things
Fuel pump will need to be upgraded. I suggest a genuine walbro 255hp pump, but some people can't retrofit it into their fdm... So buy this
HFP 255LPH Fuel Pump Assembly *Rear Tank* Ford F150 1990 - 1996

Depending on boost, you'll need either 30 or 42 pound injectors. Personally I'd just buy the 42s and never need to worry.

You'll need to buy an intercooler and piping. I'd just get an eBay special. They will work just fine for your application.

Now we need to talk about turbos. You have a small cube, low reving engine. It revs more than a diesel, but the airflow of a 300 is terrible. Personally I'd find a cummins hx35 turbo off a dodge. It's got a perfect sized exhaust housing for your head flow and good spool time, and flows more than plenty for your engine and any future upgrades. You'll want to pickup a 35-38mm wastegate set for 6psi as well. Start there and see how you like it.

Last, but really first, find a Dyno that can tune the truck. Don't buy a chip from someone 900 miles away. Find an sct dealer preferably, but also look for diablo. Find a place that tunes foxbody mustangs, they can usually burn a chip for the trucks also.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:49 PM
THE67MIGHTYMOUSE
New User
Brand new user, hope this works. I have read this whole thread and others about a turbo 300. I have a question about compression ratio that I cant find answered. Ill ask the question first then elaborate.
Can I build a turbo setup for my ford 300 with a compression ratio of 9.4:1? If so, what is a safe amount of boost to run?
1967 ford highboy, block is original 1965, loose and needs a rebuild. Head is from a 240ci, its been ported and rebuilt with a three angle valve job. Autolite 2bb on clifford intake with 2.5 in HD exaust manifold, single 2.5 exaust. The truck makes good power over stock, but i would like to get my pulling power within the range of a 390 FE block. Im hoping that a mild turbo build will meet this goal, but I dont want to go really radical. I really like my CR, is this possible, or should I drop it to maybe 8.0:1 when i get it rebuilt. Any comments, opinions, input and facts are appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Just turbo'd my 300 six