Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

'95 flashing o/d off light possible solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Boiler backer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 flashing o/d off light possible solution

I have use this board many times to help me through common problems (TPS, IAC, radio fix for my father's explorer). I feel like it is finally my turn to return the favor. I apologize in advance if this gets long winded, but I feel my story my help others save $$$.

First off, I have a '95 Explorer Sport 4wd. I had very few problems with it until my o/d off light started flashing at 180K miles. I took the cheap route and found two guys that work at a Ford dealership who would rebuild the tranny for me in their garage. (first mistake). The rebuild lasted for 1K miles before I was left stranded on the side of the road. They rebuilt it again, but it was shifting very hard, and I knew it wouldn't last long. My shadetree mechanics disappeared, and I was on my own to figure out what to do next. Instead of waiting for it to have an expensive catastrophic failure, I took it to a local shop that has a very good reputation (this is what I should have done in the first place). He rebuilt the tranny again for $1100, and it was running great. 1,500 miles later, the o/d off light started flashing. I tried resetting the computer several times by disconnecting the battery for 5-10 minutes, but everytime I started driving, the light would start flashing again. I took it back to the local tranny shop, and he told me that the transmission was fine, but there was an electronics problem. This was not his specialty, so he could not help me. He recommended that I take it to a Ford dealership, and when I did all Ford wanted to do was replace the transmission. I just couldn't handle that.

I then purchased a subscription to Alldata.com and sifted through the reams of technical service bulletins on the 1995 model. TSB # 98-5-16 really intrigued me. This TSB says that there could be a problem with the powertrain control module (PCM) on Explorer's built in 1995. Basically, the computer has tolerances that each gear range should run within, and if there is any deviation outside these tolerances, the o/d light will start flashing. Ford apparently set the tolerances in the program too tight, and then issued the TSB along with information about the new PCM and calibration. Unfortunately, the PCM on the '95 model cannot be reprogrammed, so I had to buy a new PCM. Ford changed the part number of the PCM for the '95 from F5TF-ARC to F5PF-BRA.

I installed the updated PCM, and I have driven 3k miles without any problem. I now feel confident that I will get to 300K.

The reason that I think this is important is that I see a lot of "o/d off flashing" posts on this site, and many posters on this site respond with recommendations that you reset the PCM as the first option. I strongly agree with this recommendation. However, if this does not work, I recommend checking with your dealership to make sure you have the latest program calibration installed on your PCM. Unfortunately my PCM could not be reprogrammed because it is not OBD-II, but later models can just be reprogrammed. (it cost me $220 for a new PCM, but reprogramming only costs around $80).

Anyway, that's my little story. It turns out that my transmission may have never needed even the first rebuild, as the PCM may have been the problem all along. I spent a total of about $2500, when $220 may have been all I needed.

I hope this helps some of you, and sorry for the lack of brevity.

Old 06-14-2004, 11:41 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice post. One question... with the newer/upgraded PCM, do you know pull diagnostics with OBDII, or do you still use OBDI/EECIV? My '95 has both connectors, but the OBDII is inoperative.

Mike

Old 06-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Boiler backer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you are still stuck with EECIV. All I have to back up what I am saying is that it still said EECIV on the label for the new PCM, and made no reference to OBDII.

I'm up to 4,000 miles and no new problems.