General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

rogue moving companies

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rogue moving companies

This may be old news, sorry if it is a repost. I think it may be worthy of reading because of its daily use by so many of us out here . Just read in my local paper about the skyrocketing occurrences of some moving companies hijacking furnishings for cash. ( a MAJOR increase in reported cases since 1995) . It is reported that after getting peoples furniture loaded, or sometimes BEFORE unloading at the new home, the illegit movers demand a CASH payment, sometimes 2 to 6 grand more than what the original signed contract allowed. These people were left standing in the drive, watching the moving truck drive off with their furnishings, after they had refused to , or could not afford to pay the extra cash demanded.

One couple used their car to block the truck in after the movers demanded 6k cash above what they had on their original contract before they would unload. The police were called by the homeowners, thinking they could help them get their furniture unloaded, but after the police arrived , they made the HOMEOWNERS move their car and then let the movers drive off with their furnishings. The police are not allowed to enter in to contract disputes , was the reason given.

Most of these incidences were interstate moves, but one company involved was a MAJOR mover we would all recognize the logo of. I feel certain these moving employees (criminals) demanding the extra cash , had no intention of staying with the moving companies, and were not going for the "Employee of the Month Award" when they returned to dispatch. This is scary stuff when the homeowner has no rights, the "home break in" robbers already have your belongings in their poccession, the police are rendered helpless, and the lawyers dont take the cases because of the small cash return (if any) on any case taken. Some of the victims have yet to this day, gotten their belongings back. Some have sued and have had theirs returned, most are left furnitureless. Yeah, I know, butt kickins and getting out the guns come to mind first, but that usually ends up with the victims in jail, and the mover still takes the victims furniture. It looks like the leeches in our society have found another way to bleed us. They get themsleves hired by a legit mover or make up their own "company" name, hijack people, then disappear . Wow, what a eye opener this read was,

Old 06-12-2004, 11:25 AM
1970f2504x4
Posting Guru
First off, I would only deal with someone reputable, but if this happened, they wouldn't get off my property with my furniture if someone tried a stunt like that. I'd have them blocked in and waiting till management/ownership shows up on site. I don't care how long it takes. If that 2 to 6 Grand extra isn't in the contract - well then they aren't getting it and my furniture is going into my house in one piece.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would start by letting the air out of their tires.

That way they aren't going anywhere.

Now you are at a level playing field again.

Now......Let's go call company management !

Old 06-12-2004, 06:20 PM
blkfordtruck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would hold a gun to their heads and make them unlaod the furniture. If I faced charges afterward I would just have to face that. I least I would have my furnishings. If they refused to unload the truck I would shoot the 1 closes to me in the foot and say from here the next one will be higher . LOL.

Old 06-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
From what I was reading the drivers were usually big husky guys that used their size as intimidation. I agree, it would be good time for a gun to come out as a equalizer, but as we all know , when a gun comes out on unarmed people, it gets real complicated. Its just a bad situation and I hope that as the awareness of these type of crimes come to light to the public, it will take away the availability of unknowing victims, hopefully.

Old 06-12-2004, 06:37 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Besides, if your luck is like mine, your gun would be packed in the moving truck.

Old 06-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by andym
Besides, if your luck is like mine, your gun would be packed in the moving truck.
LOL! andym great point, and thats so true, carrying your arsenal in your vehicle now interstate is risky, so I guess ones guns would be in the moving van,

Old 06-12-2004, 10:14 PM
shaggymane
Senior User
20/20 type programs have done peices on this subject. The consumer is really over a barrel the way the laws have been changed. good ole deregulation.

I've heard if you aim the gun at his nads you get a more cooperative response.

I'd like to see someone ship some frozen meat. Let em impound that.

Old 06-12-2004, 10:49 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
most employees and employer's should have current bond's on them, checkout the people before you use them.and also do background check's

and make a copy of the drivers and mover's licences before letting them load your stuff

Last edited by f=2504by497; 06-12-2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:10 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Greg 79 f150
LOL! andym great point, and thats so true, carrying your arsenal in your vehicle now interstate is risky, so I guess ones guns would be in the moving van,
i would never never put my guns on a moving van
now even more...

Old 06-13-2004, 09:12 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,522 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Noting of value goes on a moving truck! It goes in my truck is never out of my sight.

Old 06-13-2004, 10:34 AM
99 ranger bob
Elder User
oh i dont care how big they are id pick out the biggest one and a 2X4 and put a hurtin on him noone leaves with my stuff

Old 06-13-2004, 04:40 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
The people they are putting the hurt on are not the type to offer a fight where someone goes to the hospital. The best thing for normal people is to get a copy of the driver's license (since they tend to be independents), used a bonded and insured carrier, and check the BBB. Since it is interstate, maybe a call to the FBI before they even left the driveway wold start things rolling your way.

Old 06-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rebocardo
The people they are putting the hurt on are not the type to offer a fight where someone goes to the hospital. The best thing for normal people is to get a copy of the driver's license (since they tend to be independents), used a bonded and insured carrier, and check the BBB. Since it is interstate, maybe a call to the FBI before they even left the driveway wold start things rolling your way.
So right you are Reb, the people in the listed cases were the excecutive type, that looked like they could afford the heist, one was a female lawyer even. I would think the heist drivers picking on a guy driving a lifted 4x4 with a gun rack, would be one of their least choices. Criminals may be ignorant, but I dont think their all stupid. jmo

Old 06-14-2004, 08:34 AM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
I would think the heist drivers picking on a guy driving a lifted 4x4 with a gun rack, would be one of their least choices. Criminals may be ignorant, but I dont think their all stupid. jmo
I agree with you on that one. The same way "animal rights" people go after old ladies wearing furs and not bikers wearing leather.

The last thing I would let moving companies handle are firearms - most of their employees can't legally touch one anyway. I'll offend a few people here but I wouldn't let a moving company handle anything that I couldn't easily replace with insurance procedes. If they drive off like that report them stolen and file a claim with your insurance company. Thye have the lawyers to go after low lifes liek that.

Quick Reply: rogue moving companies