1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Undercarrage rust...safety issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 07:46 AM
7991exped
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undercarrage rust...safety issue?

I have a 1997 Expedition with only 48,000 miles. The ford dealer says that my brake lines and fuel lines are "rusted bad." Is it possible that ford would use anyting other that non corroding materials(Aluminum, plastic, etc) for these lines?
Is this a real safety issue for a 7 year old car or is the dealer trying to scare me into purchasing a new car?
By the way, I phoned Ford's so called customer care and asked for help and they say too bad, 7 years is enough to expect from a car.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 PM
lospinoj
Freshman User
Get Used To It

It makes me wonder if they design it to rust so you'll just run out and buy a new one. The could be made to not rust, adding a relatively small cost to the vehicle.

Also keep an eye on the rear control arms, on the 98 expy, these parts are made from stamped steel, and 11 years mine have to be replaced, if one of those let's loose while your rolling, you and your axle may be parting company.

And of course there is no third party replacements for those so Ford wants $160 each, outrageous.

I love my Expedition, not so much for Ford, I'll never by another.

Good Luck

Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
97ExpGuy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 7991exped
I have a 1997 Expedition with only 48,000 miles. The ford dealer says that my brake lines and fuel lines are "rusted bad." Is it possible that ford would use anyting other that non corroding materials(Aluminum, plastic, etc) for these lines?
Is this a real safety issue for a 7 year old car or is the dealer trying to scare me into purchasing a new car?
By the way, I phoned Ford's so called customer care and asked for help and they say too bad, 7 years is enough to expect from a car.
Generally speaking brakes lines are made from metal and can rust. I'd take the vehicle to independent mechanic and have them look. There's NO reason to replace a vehicle over rusting break lines. Have them replaced and keep going. But I would get that looked at soon. I lost a break line on my 90 Chevy pickup and that was an experience in itself.

Fuel lines too? I'm suspicious of this w/o another opinion. Hmm...do you live in an area where there is a lot of road salt used in the winter months? Just remember to wash the undercarriage with fresh water and keep things clean.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 PM
TexFinn
Senior User
Holy cow what resurrection!

Sucks to hear about the rust, though. You guys out there where rust is an issue, might want to look into some kind of undercarriage treatment to prevent rust from happening.