1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Diagnostic code P0401 Insufficient EGR Flow

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 10:36 AM
poster72
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so encouraging...thanks! i'll take a stab at it. i replaced cylinder 5's spark plug before, i should be able to get this

Old 11-15-2015, 01:01 PM
poster72
New User
so i got most of the air intake off i think, but i really don't know what to do next. obviously im looking at the throttle body, but i still dont see the EGR valve or DPFE sensor. Anyone have advice? I can take this to PM if BG7 doesn't mind helping or someone else maybe? I dont want to jam up this 28 page thread any more than it is!

But I am going to take detailed pics of the job if i get it done, so hopefully i can help someone with one of these vans....

Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Hang in there.
Your top photo, between the two fore ground hoses toward the right side of center.
Look in the background between them at the golden colored metal pipe and where it terminates into the EGR valve toward the center of the photo.
You can see the big nut that screws into the EGR.
The other end goes down to the exhaust manifold where it is fed exhaust gas.
Somewhere on that tube are two smaller tubes with hoses connected to them that go to the DPFE.
There you have it, both the location of the EGR valve and the DPFE Sensor for the looking.
Good luck.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:29 AM
poster72
New User
so the EGR valve is the red thing the gold tube runs in to and there should be two hoses coming off of the gold tube that run to the DPFE, if i understand correctly? The EGR should have two seperate hoses to the DPFE though, one of which i want to pull off and put a vacuum on the nipple it was attached to?
Clearly the engine is not going to run well with the whole air intake off. Seems it is going to be difficult to even find this hose, let alone try and put a vaccuum on it and reconnect everything so it can run. i'm tempted to skip the test and just try and clean the ports since it has 200k miles on it. I just don't see what i should take off next. Wish i had a manual!

Old 11-16-2015, 10:46 AM
poster72
New User
And would i have any more luck trying to come from the inside of the van possibly? I hear you can reach the back of the engine that way but have never tried.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Clearly you took off intake rubber past the MASS AIR SENSOR because the round throttle body is showing.
With that, the motor should still start and idle enough to do the EGR test if you note the idle reaction to opening the EGR.
The round throttle body as shown in photo 2 is very dirty and needs cleaning while things are all apart.
The INTAKE AIR CONTROLER should be removed and cleaned.
Auto store has the correct spray cleaner to use.
Do all the work one at a time then re install the intake assembly.
I note you keep repeating what I say, there is no need to do that. I know what I said.
Look inside the cab. There likely is a cover over the motor that can be removed.
Go do the work.
Good luck.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:38 AM
poster72
New User
when i had intake off previously i forgot to reconnect the tube that is visible next to the throttle body in that last pic back to the intake. it would not idle without that tube being connected.
thanks for the extra added cleaning steps, i will try. sorry to repeat you, just trying to ensure i understand. not afraid of doing the work, only of my ignorance of the work needed

Old 11-20-2015, 06:26 PM
shooter123
Elder User
this is a long and old thread, but I am glad it is here. A few days ago while going up a hill I noticed pinging above 3000 rpms. took it to oriellys and had it scanned. po401. i found this thread. so I sucked on the green hose that goes to the egr at idle and the rpms dropped down to nothing and the truck almost died. So I replaced the dpfe and now it is all fixed. no more spark knock, no more po401. 1997 f150 4x4 4.6l vin w. (my check engine light is burned out btw) Hope this might help anyone going through the same problem.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:43 PM
poster72
New User
well, i finally realized that accessing the E150 from the interior is the way to go. You pull that back with 4 latches and the EGR and DPFE are literally right there. Was able to pull vacuum on EGR hose out of top and it did indeed bog some, so now i have to assume DPFE. ill go back and review DPFE voltage tests, i think i recall something on that

Old 11-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
You likely will not be able to tell much from voltage measurements.
The sensor contains electronics and pressure sensors.
How would you test response changes in pressure?
Good luck.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:52 PM
poster72
New User
well from the haynes Ford full size van repair manual i was able to get at the library....

"With the engine cold there should be NO EGR therefore teh voltage shouild be approximately .20 to .70 volts. As the engine starts to warm the EGR is signaled by the computers, voltag values should increase to approximately 4.0 to 6.0 volts."

Thats all i can do, i'm no expert.. it says to backprobe the correct terminals but i dont know which ones are the correct terminals, i know there are three wires.

If you know better BG7, id appreciate the knowledge.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 AM
poster72
New User
Old 12-02-2015, 02:07 PM
poster72
New User
Thanks to those that helped me here in this thread. Vacuum on EGR and the engine stumbles. checked voltage on DPFE, 5V reference seemed fine. engine cold the top pin was at .7 or so volts, engine warm and vacuum on EGR the voltage wouldn't rise much, once it went to 3v but not steady. replaced DPFE with motorcraft part (amazon $64) and all good! passed emissions today. Now on to my two door lock issues...cable loose on side door from outside handle and one switch bad somewhere as none of the unlock buttons work from inside, but the key fob works for the unlock.

big things learned....access this on a van from the inside because you'll never get there through the front. and also the DPFE 15 is the new plastic looking part that replaces the old metal factory unit (different part numbers). Apparently these old ones fail often.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:58 AM
poster72
New User
well, i spoke too soon. about 40 miles after passing emissions the insufficient p0401 returned. i cleared it again to see if it will come back, but i expect it will. Bummer. At least i passed emissions i guess, but obviously still an issue somewhere.
annoying...the guy at the emissions place made comments on how clean everything appeared to be burning too.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:00 AM
ydaveitsu
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the dreaded PO401 code. I've been chasing the problem for a couple of weeks now. The the Van has 120K on it. 1997 E150 Conversion Van. I first changed the DPFE. Cleared the computer (ECM ) and the check engine light came on again. I then did the dreaded EGR, Throttle plate, Throttle plate upper Manifold complete cleaning of all passages and ports. At the same time I checked the ERG with a vacuum pump, The EGR opened and closed as it should. I put everything back together with all new gaskets and drove it the required time /distance and CEL came on again. Again I took everything apart. I pulled the whole system including all vacuum lines, Check everything again. Followed the vacuum lines to the vacuum resivior that sits on the frame under the passenger door, I checked it and it did not hold vacuum. I got another one and checked it before installing it and it was fine. The same time I changed the Vacuum Solenoid since I was in there. The only parts that haven't been changed are the The EGR inline pressure tube that come up from the exhaust manifold, (they seem fairly new) and the The vacuum modulator or vacuum management Valve that seems to be part of that whole system with it's interconnecting vacuum line. After all this the light came back on tonight, but I sucspect it the PO401 code again. So you see this one has me chasing my tail. Any suggestions would help thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: Diagnostic code P0401 Insufficient EGR Flow