Blown Fuse or 3 In 2001 Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 04:27 AM
Fordyo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Blown Fuse or 3 In 2001 Ranger

I am new to the America truck scene as I have always owned Japanese cars and because of this I have not been successful installing my new Panasonic ghost cd player. I correctly spliced the wires from the deck directly to the stock wires bypassing a wiring harness,(my first mistake). When I goto reconnect the battery cable it blows the radio fuse instantly. Are the stock radio power wires too weak to handle the new deck and if so is there another power wire I should tap into? Please help becuase Circuit City wants way too much to install it and I am too poor.
Thanks, Fritz

Last edited by Fordyo; 06-09-2004 at 04:29 AM. Reason: can't spell
Old 06-09-2004, 11:27 AM
RICE H8R
Elder User
i had to do that same thing in my f-150 and it seemed to work. spliced into all the wires...i could not get a wiring harness for it being the closest store is 50 miles one way. the only problem i had was the continous 12v source did not work for some reason. easy fix i just ran a new power wire to the battery, put a fuse in between, and its worked fine ever since. im using a pioneer deh-p6400 deck...

Old 06-09-2004, 12:44 PM
drewcoolness99
Elder User
did you cut off the plug in for the harness? I had a friend that did what you did and the wires he didn't use were grounding out.

Old 06-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Fordyo
New User
Here goes

Rice H8R, How did you connect it to the battery? Do you only have to hook it to the positive end or do you have to somehow hook it to both the positive and the neg? I have never heard of hooking cd players straight to the battery but it sounds good to me. If you could just give me an idea of how you did it that would be great! Thanks a lot for your help!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2004, 03:45 PM
RICE H8R
Elder User
k ur deck should be hooked up to a 12v switched source, 12v constant source, and a negative. (besides all the speakers) on mine, the 12v switched worked, and the ground (neg.) worked, but the 12v constant did not. if urs is the same way, all u do is take a wire long enuf to go from the deck to the battery, wire a fuse into it about a foot or so away from the battery, hook the wire to the 12v constant on ur cdplayer, then hook it to the positive battery terminal. if the original ground seems to work, u have no need for running a new one. if u do decide to do this, and u blow the fuse in ur new power wire, u must have a short somewhere. i'd go thru ur wires u spliced and make sure they are all covered, and none have a bare wire showing. i used all the wires except the one that didnt work, but if u didnt id use black tape (or electrical tape as people call it) and tape the ends off just to be safe. hope all this is making sense to ya.

good luck...

Old 06-10-2004, 02:39 AM
Fordyo
New User
Cool

ok ok so i used your sugestions but i ran both of the 12volt wires from the battery to the cd player and installed the inline fuses. Now the cd player turns on but a fuse still blows. I am starting to think that the fuse that keeps blowing must be connected to the cig lighter, but there still is no sound coming out of the speakers. I must sound like an idiot but I succesfully installed cd players in all of my japansese cars no problem. Anyway I am getting really frustrated because the local install shops arent being helpful. I have capped all of the loose wires and connections with electrical tape and its still shorts out a fuse in the box and wont make sound goto the speakers. If you want to keep helping me thanks a lot but dont worry if you dont want to because I would be frustrated with me by now. Anyway thanks a lot. -Fritz

Last edited by Fordyo; 06-10-2004 at 02:43 AM. Reason: more detail
Old 06-10-2004, 11:04 AM
RICE H8R
Elder User
im not sure y u would run both 12v wires to the battery, but ok. i have one question to ask you...did u check for anything in your cigarette lighter? im not sure about fords, but in our 92 pontiac grand-am the cigarette lighter was in the same circuit (sp) as the cd player. if u dropped like a penny down the lighter hole, it would ground out and blow the fuse. but since u ran ur 12v to the battery i do not see y that should happen. i guess ur last resort would be to pay the $30 or whatever and have the dealer mess with it....