Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

F-250 6.0 Power stroke Verus Dodge 2500 HO

Old 06-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Trail Rider II
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-250 6.0 Power stroke Verus Dodge 2500 HO

Well I did some test driving today, both truck Automatics SRW, I hate to say this as I have always been a Ford Fan. But Dodge has it beat hands down.

No constant up and down shifting, out pulled the Ford pretty badly!!!!

Comfort and noise is close to the same.

I like the way the Dodge handles better, better road feel too.

I pulled a twin axle bumper pull trailer with 8,000 lbs and them empty.

They only thing better was the Ford Price!!! I was with one of my old classmates from highschool and he is a Ford Dist. Rep. He even admitted the dodge drove, faster better, he even admitted that one of the Districts has had to buy over 500 2003, 2004 6.0's back.

He said what until the 05's are out for me to buy, he promises the 05's are going to be better.

I will wait but right now, shooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would go Dodge.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Ranch_Hand
Junior User
Buddy i feel sorry for you , i wouldnt a buy a dodge if it was the last truck on this planet.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
This forum is for Detailed TECHnical Topics, not for emotional blurps.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:51 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Ranchhand here. No Dodge for this guy either. Yeh the 6.0s have had some problems. The whole world knows this. I have seen some things on Dodges that turned me off on Dodges for good Its either a Ford or nuthin. Buy what you like.

Old 06-09-2004, 12:03 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Agreed. lets keep it technical.
The big diffearnace I see between the Powerstoke and Duramax vs. the cummins is that that cummins torque comes on a little sooner. I think this is why you typically cummins in truck pulls etc. While the powersrtoke and Dmax are prolly a little better suited to pull at 75mph. What terrain were you driving that the power stroke downshifted so much and ad what speed?

Old 06-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Trail Rider II
Senior User
I drove a twenty mile loop with rolling hills in the Ozarks of Arkansas, The biggest hill was a 35 mph hill in town. just over 1/4 mile long.

Since this is the typical of what I would be driving, some in town and out of town, hwy speeds to 55 the legal limit.

Like I mentioned I have always been a for Ford fan, and yes the PSD did come on late with power and would be better suited for Interstate driving.

Anyhow I did my best to keep the drive close, i.e. traffic etc.

This is how I drive and over roads I drive daily, pulling the max load I would be hauling. Nothing emotional about test. I am going to wait and see what the 05 F-250 is all about. Like I said this is as nobiased as I feel the test drive could be.

The Ford Rep did say Cummings is working on the V-6 diesel for F-150's, Ford feels that Navistar did not do the R&D needed for the 6.0 PSD. We did discuss if the trucks with more problems were assembled in the USA or Mexico. He is going to take a look and see but felt that was not relevent.

Old 06-09-2004, 03:50 PM
EKUgrad
Senior User
I think that this was a great post. If he had said that the Ford was hands down a winner , people would be lining up to say hoorah and agree. Honesty is the key. I agree, the Dodge drives better. May not be a better truck, but it does drive better. Updated '05's may change, but let us try to be mindful of other's thoughts and opinions.

I want one of each so that I can test them all every day.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:54 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More than likely, the Dodge will give a better ride because of the SFA in the Ford and the coil springs in the Dodge. I would expect the Dodge to have a better ride on the pavement. It will be interesting to see how much the coil springs in the 05 SD will ride compared to the current SD.

Old 06-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Trail Rider II
Senior User
Dodge saleman agreed on somethings.

I do have to say the Dodge saleman agreed on some storng points with the F-SD Fords. I did not mention certian things. I ask him to be honest and tell me what he felt was the weak points of both trucks.

He is pretty darn sharp on the Ford Brand. He also told me several things to watch for on the Dodge, weak ball joints etc. He was a bit reluctant to talk about the Ford problems, but when my friend said he was a Ford Rep. The saleman said Correct me if I am wrong this is what I have heard.

So yea we know there are problems with each brand. BUt what brand is perfect????????

He laso said not to believe the Bull about 25 mpg, a solid 18-20 mpg yes but not that hype crap people will say.

When I told him I was going to pull a trailer loaded with hay and where I was going to drive it his reaction was hell yea, drive it the way you plan to drive, if its not what you think it should be let me know and I will find you a Ford or Chevy from one of the other truck dealers Calling them by name.

Seldom do you meet a saleman thats honest and open or even a dealership that will let them be!!!!

Happy trails

Old 06-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Ranch_Hand
Junior User
Sorry for not being technical but i had my problems with Dodge trucks but not to many with Chevys cause i hardly ever owned them just that dually i had. My old man drove an old model 79 Ford, 351M it was only a two barrel, manual and all and it would haul stuff that no other truck could do, utility tractors, hay, horse trailers, you name it the old ford pulled them all.

Old 06-09-2004, 07:08 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Ranch-Hand What problems did you have with your dodge. Just a curious guy. Thanks

Old 06-10-2004, 12:38 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Trail Rider II
I drove a twenty mile loop with rolling hills in the Ozarks of Arkansas, The biggest hill was a 35 mph hill in town. just over 1/4 mile long.
No big hills !!! Shoot I was looking forward to that when we go to Branson in July

Old 06-10-2004, 01:27 PM
PAN
Senior User
All in all, ford chevy dodge, they are all good trucks, they all have their problems and they all run pretty well neck and neck when it comes to diesels. I am a die-hard ford fan and would own nothing but a ford but all in all they all will get the job done. Never the less I know someone will disagree with me on here LOL.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Trail Rider II
Senior User
DMAX, there are some big hills south of Branson,just drop on down to Harrison, then pickup HWY 7, beeeeeautifull Senic HWY 7 or HWY 43 to Ponca. Just my average route with Horses would only have a couple hills with 2 to 3 mile grades otherwise a gasser will pull fine. Oh, You can pull a few good hills on HWY 68 around Eureka Springs.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:47 PM
MTBR12
New User
Originally Posted by Trail Rider II
Well I did some test driving today, both truck Automatics SRW, I hate to say this as I have always been a Ford Fan. But Dodge has it beat hands down.

No constant up and down shifting, out pulled the Ford pretty badly!!!!

Comfort and noise is close to the same.

I like the way the Dodge handles better, better road feel too.

I pulled a twin axle bumper pull trailer with 8,000 lbs and them empty.

They only thing better was the Ford Price!!! I was with one of my old classmates from highschool and he is a Ford Dist. Rep. He even admitted the dodge drove, faster better, he even admitted that one of the Districts has had to buy over 500 2003, 2004 6.0's back.

He said what until the 05's are out for me to buy, he promises the 05's are going to be better.

I will wait but right now, shooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would go Dodge.

What exactly did your friend say would be better besides the info published?
Any reliability improvements or pilot injection being turned back on for the 05 6.0? Ten more lbs. of torque isn't as important as overall reliability and satisfaction. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-250 6.0 Power stroke Verus Dodge 2500 HO