Starter cranks w/engine running

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 03:11 PM
deltasoft
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Starter cranks w/engine running

hi guys sorry about bothering but i got no doubt how this is happening so often, ok my truck when try to initiate it starts fine but at the same time selenoid gets stuck!! so i gotta go and remove positive cable off the battery or else truck wont stop runing when i turn off iginition key....dont know what to do, changed selenoid like about 10 times already and it keeps taking the starter selenoid, completely clueless.....here ....

anyone help???

EDIT:

hehe hi guys again...sorry to get in the post but i wanted to adress some problems, am having same problem as this fella guy .....my ford f150 xlt 1986 v8 5.0L wont stop runing when removing the ignition key i changed selenoid lots of times however havent tried the reverse key thing u guys said here....could there be anything else to change? first of all what is it that u called the iginition switch is it the same as the starter selenoid? thanks, and yes lol my truck did go in flames once because of stuped starter selenoid and me trying to crank engine with alarm...truck kept on trying to turn on n stuff when shutting off with alarm key hehe one bad experience....

#2 EDIT:
reverse key no lol mounting reverse cable * sorry

thanks....
pls help me out on this one when ever any of ya have a chance
thanks all

Old 06-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,673 Likes on 1,352 Posts
same problem as this fella guy .....my ford f150 xlt 1986 v8 5.0L wont stop runing when removing the ignition key
The engine won't stop running or won't stop cranking?

Old 06-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
He stated it kept cranking while the engine was running.
As least that's what I read into it

You don't have to remove the battery cable to get it to stop cranking.
Just remove that little elbow connector from the S terminal of the starter relay.

You need to determine where the problem originates.

1) The ignition switch
2) The wiring
3) The starter SOLENOID

Also, Instead of posting extra posts, all users have 60 minutes to alter their own posts

So you can just click EDIT and make the changes

Old 06-09-2004, 01:02 AM
deltasoft
Elder User
Red face re:

yup ur right, wont stop cranking i will check on removing the S cable from selenoid and see if engine stops trying to crank, if it stops then wut could it be? could it be bad iginition switch of the key? or could it be a bad grounding ?

thanks-
and if it keeps running when removed the S cable wut could it be?

thanks
Deltasoft

Old 06-09-2004, 02:18 AM
Mil1ion
New User
If the starter stops cranking after removing the elbow connector to the S terminal ,the problem should be in the wiring or switch.

Without shutting the engine off, put a test light to the elbow connector you removed.

Therefore ,If it lights up, the problem is in the wiring or switch.

This means the power from the start circuit is still activated.

Btw, It's Solenoid or better yet Relay.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:03 AM
Wills88Truck
Freshman User
If the starter doesnt stop cranking after you pull the s wire then i suggest you replace your starter. Recently my 88 f150 w/302 was having similar problems, long story short the starter was bad and was pulling over 200 amps. So if you continue to have problems remove it and have it checked at a parts house (free service) also their cheap if have to replace them.

Will

Old 06-09-2004, 10:25 AM
deltasoft
Elder User
re:

thanks guys i'll check on that

Old 06-10-2004, 09:07 AM
DPS3749
Freshman User
I would suspect the starter as well. When you stated you've changed solenoids many times the only way that many solenoids could go bad so fast is if there was too much current being drawn off of them frying all the innards. Clean all starter connections and make sure starter is tightly mounted for proper grounding. Then have someone test the starter for current draw while in the vehicle. If too high have starter test out of vehicle. It's just a process of elimination. Do the cheapest and easiest thing first.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:30 AM
deltasoft
Elder User
Re:

tell me how can they test that? lol so i can explain to them i got many friends and uncles, how can i test the starter?

Old 06-10-2004, 11:23 AM
DPS3749
Freshman User
To test the current draw there's a tester with jaws that clips on cable, and it tells you what the cable's current draw is. Parts store, like Autozone for example, will test your starter out of vehicle.

Old 06-10-2004, 11:25 AM
deltasoft
Elder User
Re:

ok guys i ran the test witha test light to the S cable on the starter selenoid like u told me while starter motor trying to crank and it gives me off....it doesnt light i removed cable and starter motor kept trying to crank engine....

i believe is a faulty cable connection right? like a messed up cable of ground?

i did also the reverse connection like some other folk told me about that now selenoids are being constructed wrong....and gave me same sign...

help needed here....hehehe thinking about putting the computer on it....should i ?

thanks

i'll wait for reply , this problem has driven me crazy

Old 06-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Mil1ion
New User
I assume you meant once the engine was running...the starter was still cranking...so you removed the little wire with the elbow connector that attaches to the S terminal & the starter still kept cranking.

So Try this, With the wire to the S terminal disconnected and with the engine running & starter still cranking ......put the test light to the S Terminal itself......
Does it light up ?

If so.....the problem is a Bad Solenoid

Your connections on the Starter to solenoid should be like the diagram,with the + post battery cable attached to the large lug on the S terminal side of the solenoid.
The other large lug near the I terminal gets the cable that runs to the starter.

Please confirm all these connections

Old 06-10-2004, 04:13 PM
DPS3749
Freshman User
deltasoft

If you've changed the starter relay numerous times, and the starter is still staying engaged, and no current is being applied to that small terminal on starter relay then the starter-drive on the starter has to be hanging up. Get that starter off that vehicle, and get it tested like I mentioned early. You can guess till the cows come home, but I'll bet you that starter-drive is the culprit.

Last edited by DPS3749; 06-10-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:45 PM
DPS3749
Freshman User
Incidentally, many people, including myself, make the mistake of calling the starter relay a solenoid. Earlier model Fords only used a starter relay and a starter with internal drive-unit. Later model Fords then used a starter mounted solenoid/relay.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:04 AM
deltasoft
Elder User
re:

thanks i'll try doing that tomrow , thanks u all ttyl
Deltasoft

Quick Reply: Starter cranks w/engine running