Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

'05 Gas Engines-6.8LV10, 8.1LV8 & 6.1LHemi...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 01:06 AM
SuperDutyHaulin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammy17
That is very true...considering chevys are used for mostly work. I guess most chevys produce their torque under tremendous loads like you said, for example: towing a 25000 lb trailer through the mountains.
I have not seen many chevy work trucks, I do however see many Ford work trucks. chevys do not have termendous torque, nor can they tow tremendous loads. but they do strain alot to tow small loads.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Hammy17
Senior User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyHaulin
I have not seen many chevy work trucks, I do however see many Ford work trucks. chevys do not have termendous torque, nor can they tow tremendous loads. but they do strain alot to tow small loads.
Actually in my area half the farmers have Chevies and the other half have Ford, not too many dodges. Chevys dont have tremendous torque? the 8.1 and the D-max have more torque than the PSD and the V10 and the engines are very similar in max towing so obviously chevys dont strain a lot to pull small loads.

Old 07-08-2004, 12:49 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet again, though, like Dodges, their drivetrain is more parasitic than Ford's, therefore the Ford can tow more with less torque. It's called efficiency, a concept that Dodge and GM haven't grasped yet.

Old 07-08-2004, 12:55 AM
SuperDutyHaulin
Elder User
Actually in my area half the farmers have Chevies and the other half have Ford, not too many dodges. Chevys dont have tremendous torque? the 8.1 and the D-max have more torque than the PSD and the V10 and the engines are very similar in max towing so obviously chevys dont strain a lot to pull small loads.

You know it was kind of funny today, I was pulling my boat up the launch effortlessly, watching this guy in a silverado struggling to get his boat up the launch. It was hillarious, you could hear his engine revving up and it would not move, untill the wheels starting spinning, and then he just sat there dumbfounded. After wiping down my boat, I offered to pull the boat out for him, to which he gave me the finger. As, I was pulling away, I saw three of his freinds trying to push the truck while he was driving it, It was the funniest thing, it gives new meaning to I'd rather drive a Ford than push a Chevy!!!

To be fair though the launch was quite steep, but I had no problem.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:49 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geez if I couldnt get my boat out I would be glad for the help. OH I bet if it wasnt a ford but a chevy he would have said yes. It gives new meaning to the saying if we cant drive the chevy will push it rather than have a ford pull us out.

Last edited by 150ford; 07-08-2004 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Hammy17
Senior User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyHaulin
You know it was kind of funny today, I was pulling my boat up the launch effortlessly, watching this guy in a silverado struggling to get his boat up the launch. It was hillarious, you could hear his engine revving up and it would not move, untill the wheels starting spinning, and then he just sat there dumbfounded. After wiping down my boat, I offered to pull the boat out for him, to which he gave me the finger. As, I was pulling away, I saw three of his freinds trying to push the truck while he was driving it, It was the funniest thing, it gives new meaning to I'd rather drive a Ford than push a Chevy!!!

To be fair though the launch was quite steep, but I had no problem.
How big was this guys boat? and how big was his truck?

Old 07-08-2004, 12:25 PM
SuperDutyHaulin
Elder User
How big was this guys boat? and how big was his truck?

It was a fairly big boat, mine is 28 feet, his was a few feet smaller. He had a 2500, it was not a diesel, but I dont really know what size engine in it other than it was weak.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Hammy17
Senior User
If it wasnt deisel, it was the 6.0 which isnt exactly weak in a base 2500.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:22 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Coulda been traction. We had an old 76 F-150 w/ 390. It had more low end torque than I ever really needed, but being 2wd with an open dif, it struggled to get traction on the steep ramps, especially late into the irrigation season when the water levels are lower and there is slippery moss on the ramp. My dad's explorer and my Ranger, both with 4.0, will both easily pull the same boat out in 4 high, because it doesn't slip.

Old 07-08-2004, 06:02 PM
04F250CC60
Senior User
I guess the guy was not versed in the art of having someone jump in the boat and fire it up and use the boats thrust to push itself and the truck up the launch. Trust me I've seen it done many times. Only with 2wd trucks though. Thus referring back to the whole traction point made earlier.

Old 07-08-2004, 06:31 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by AG4.0
Coulda been traction. We had an old 76 F-150 w/ 390. It had more low end torque than I ever really needed, but being 2wd with an open dif, it struggled to get traction on the steep ramps, especially late into the irrigation season when the water levels are lower and there is slippery moss on the ramp. My dad's explorer and my Ranger, both with 4.0, will both easily pull the same boat out in 4 high, because it doesn't slip.
Good catch

Old 07-08-2004, 08:47 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post GM 2500s...

Yeah, the 6.0L is the only engine available in GM 2500s. You have to get a 2500HD or 3500 to get the Dmax or 8.1L.

Was the guy's Silverado a 4wd? I've never seen any 4x4 SUV or pickup have trouble with boat ramps. Heck, it could even be a difference in tires.

I can see a joke in there somewhere....how many Chevy owners does it take to push a stuck Silverado up a boat ramp??? Make up your own punch line!

Old 07-08-2004, 09:11 PM
SuperDutyHaulin
Elder User

It was weak. It was not a traction issue, his tire was not in the water, and the ramp has built in groove to help with traction, It did not have the 4x4 sticker, so I am guessing it was not a 4x4. That would have been even more embarrasing for him I would assume.

Also, it's not like the tires immediatly starting spinning. You could here the engine working up the RPM's with no movement, and then finally they broke lose, if it was a matter of no traction, they would have broken lose immediatly.

Anyway, how embarrasing. I would have left my truck there, or drove it into the lake.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:30 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remembered a guy who had just restored a beautiful late 70's Ford truck, it had a 3 on the tree, he was on the boat loading it, and the truck jumped out of gear and it rolled in to the lake. He was ticked off! Of course I woulda been too, but I think his mechanical skills weren't quite up to snuff, thus resulting in mechanical error that stemmed from human error.

Old 07-18-2004, 04:30 PM
superdutymj
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Budly
even tho they say they arent bias they are a Ford Truck Enthusiast Site, so the comp is going to be bias, they never stated road grade, rear end, tranny, pickup size or whether it was goose neck or bumperhitch pulling. i have SEEN a cummins 600 smoke a powerjoke up to nearly 60 MPH w/ a 9000 lbs. load on (then the finish line was reached w/ the 600 ahead by nearly two lengths)
the pics clearly show the trailers as being bumper hitched trailers. the test weight is 13,400 lbs, pretty dang near the max tow ratings on the trucks, i know my V10 F250 has a rating of 14400 lbs. im sure that, being a comparison test, they tried to match up the trucks as closely as possible to make it a close test. whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the ford super duty is hard to beat, it seems to be the truck that everyone but ford enthusiasts love to hate, though it's usually jealousy rearing its ugly head. i will admit though that Dodge's cummins sounds pretty mean with a 5" pipe on it.

Quick Reply: '05 Gas Engines-6.8LV10, 8.1LV8 & 6.1LHemi...