1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Draglink question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 02:25 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Draglink question

The manly front end of the '54 is sitting in the driveway, separated from the mother ship, as it were. In earlier times I had purchased front springs, tie rod and ends, kingpin set and recently a pitman arm from FTE brother Roger. Have the draglink end kits to go in the link and a question.

Do the little cups in the ends bear all of the weight of the ball or does the ball find itself on the inner walls of the draglink ends? I ask because the inside of my dl is chewed up where the ball has run rampant. I'm not sure if my question is posed properly... but the upshot of the whole thing is.... Do I need a new draglink? If so... who has one?

I'm talking the one that comes with the deep discount.

Redoing the mastercylinder and wheel cylinders and brake hoses etc. has put a big gap in the truck budget. Or... is it ok to use this one? thanks. himmelberg

Old 06-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Overkill-F1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cups should bear all of the load, the ball should not touch the inside of the draglink tube. If the new cups seem loose in the old draglink tube, then you're going to have to replace it. If the cups fit reasonably well, I would reuse the draglink. I had a similiar problem with my draglink. '52 F1 ...Terry

Old 06-05-2004, 04:56 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Thanks, Terry.

More revelations as I remove the studs from the front spring shackles... These chunks of steel are really worn, most likely from a lack of lubricant.

Any of you Pinto and Volare boys have any leftover parts from your manly straight axle days?

thanks. himmelberg

Old 06-05-2004, 06:03 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peter

48 - 56 use the same drag ling - That Lil Ol Place in Kansas has them for 120
Several places have the shackle bolts and bushing. My Front pins wer worn half way through.

Also check the ball studs on both ends of the drag link, the are designed to be round, not oval shaped like mine are.

Old 06-05-2004, 06:24 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I have one that I bought new for my first 56 (that was about 10 yrs ago). Used it for less then 100 miles (switched the frt susp to a Must 11) I will sell it for $60.00 plus shipping from Mi (I have the arm that attaches to the draglink and steering gear it goes with the draglink if you want it)

Chuck

Old 06-06-2004, 10:09 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Thanks guys. Will see how the dl end kit works and let you know on yours, Chuck. Ordered my pins, Penn Dick. Now to bang those last two out and free my springs. best. himmelberg