Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

question about thermocouple placement

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Hubble
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about thermocouple placement

I've got what seems like a really stupid question here, but maybe you guys can help me out a little....

I'm in the process of adding a turbo to my '94 7.3 and don't really know where the best place to mount the thermocouple for the pyrometer. I know you can put them pre- and post-turbo and I would really like to put it pre-turbo, but I'm not really sure exactly where.

I've been reading on this forum for a few hours now, but just can't seem to find a good enough answer. I've seen where it's been put on the driver's side exhaust manifold, but this is where my stupid question comes in.......won't you only read the driver's side temp if you mount it here?

If this is the best place to put it, or if there's a better place (seeins as how I don't have the turbo or downpipes in yet) I would greatly appreciate the help.

Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Spectramac
Posting Guru
Assuming this is a factory indirect turbo (right?), ATS mounts the thermocouple in the exhaust side of the turbo. I guess you could say 'barely' pre-turbo. I can't remember if the Ford version has a plug there or not. Look on the rear part of the exhaust snail for a 1/4 inch pipe plug of some kind.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Hubble
New User
yes it's a factory turbo and where ats mounts theirs is where I was thinking about adding mine. I'll have to look to see if there is a plug there or not, but even if there isn't I should still be able to mount it there using a thermocouple bushing right?

Old 06-05-2004, 10:10 AM
bilder12
Posting Guru
Could you not mount it in the crossover pipe - from one exhaust manifold to the other? You wont abe able to read each side of the engine, but shouldnt it be operating the same on both sides? or pretty close to it. If you are reading the heat from the left side (furthest from the turbo) wouldnt you be able to determine - Gee, Gawly --- if this side is hot, I wonder what the other side is doing???

Old 06-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Spectramac
Posting Guru
If there is a good flat spot there on the casting, just drill a hole and tap it 1/4 pipe. Put grease on the tap to keep the thread cuttings from falling in.

Old 06-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Hubble
New User
I know what you're sayin about the temp with one side being the same as the other, but the only thing I was mainly worried about is having a problem later on down the road (which hopefully will never happen but you never know) and having one side get hotter than the other. That's why I wanted to know where the thermocouple was usually located.

Spectramac - still didn't get a chance to take a look at that exhaust pipe, but an exploded view of the ford turbo does seem to show a bushing in the pipe for a thermocouple just before attaching to the turbo. Even if I don't have one on mine, I still plan on putting it in that general area now. Thanks for all the help.