types of propane tanks used?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 07:51 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
types of propane tanks used?

i just wanted a little feedback from those of you guys running propane on what kind of tanks you are using, I know you can use dual 5 gallon vapor tanks and a number of other expensive vapor tanks. I have a forklift horizontal tank that I'm having trouble with. It has a port that says vapor, but i'm being told over and over again that it is just a fill port. I can see it being used as a fill port for convenience, but i'm perplexed as to why it says liquid on one side and vapor on the other if it is not a vapor port. Anyway let me know how you guys set yours up and if anyone has the scoop on the horizontal forklift tank set up I would appreciate it.. Thanks.

On edit: sorry guys, i left out one think. It has a vapor port, a liquid port, a pressure blow off and then another port that I have no idea what it is... Its made by Manchester, but I could not get any information on my tank off their website..

Last edited by bigdieseldav; 06-04-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Contact Dale Isley at TYMAR. He's a distributor for Manchester tanks. That's where I got my tank, from TYMAR. I don't have any experience with a tank like yours, but Dale will have the answers to your questions.
Mine is a Manchester 9.9 gallon vapor tank that's mounted under the bed.
Here is a pic of my tank. Does yours have the same ports as mine?

Old 06-04-2004, 08:17 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
hey thanks quad, the ports are arranged differently, where you have a label saying fill, vapor, blow off and then the unidentified port on the far left, I a label saying vapor on the left which has a fill connector, liquid on the right, blow off above and then the unidentified port above that. I'm almost sure the port labeled vapor is just being used as a fill port and a quick change of the fitting will get me in business, but i like my engine working and sure don't want to load it with liquid propane, ya know. Thanks for the help and the pic...... and the reference to dale, i'll check it out. I guess I was over confident that people might be using old forklift tanks on the norm.. oh well thanks again.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I'd guess the "norm" would be split between guys that use a tank similar to mine, and those using dual bbq tanks. Most are in one camp or the other. There are some that use forklift tanks, but I don't know any of them personally.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:36 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
yeah, i've had my kit for a week now, i have the tank mount all ready to go, i have my switches wired and installed in the dash ready to go, and yet, i can't get my tank to work. I'll try till monday, and then its dual bbq tanks for me as well.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:41 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
hey while I have your attention and were on the subject, is there not the possiblity of introducing liquid propane into the system through the vapor port in the event you get a nice slosh going in through traffic or what not, and i mentioned in another post that i was having trouble locating a on\off with ignition power source on my 02, you know of any sources to fuse tap into. I can always T into a wire, but i would prefer to use the fuse tap method..... And with that I think i'm done bothering you. BTW, thanks for the E-mail reply. I havn't called cause its usually after midnight when i get off work and I've been working 12's lately and no access to a phone here. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
My tank is a vapor draw tank, so the only thing that can be pulled out of the tank is vapor. I don't know the internal design of your tank, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to get liquid out of yours by bouncing around or not.
There's nothing wrong with bbq tanks. I used them for about a week when I first got my system and was waiting for my tank mounting brackets to get back from the powder coater.
I've got a fuse tap in mine, but it took a little trial and error with a DVOM to find one that only had power with the key on.
And with that I think i'm done bothering you. BTW, thanks for the E-mail reply. I havn't called cause its usually after midnight when i get off work and I've been working 12's lately and no access to a phone here. Thanks.
You're not bothering me. I come here voluntarily, trying to help people learn what I've learned along the way. You've got my number from my return email. Feel free to call if you want/need to. I'm glad to be able to help.