Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Engine Coolant Light Stays On

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 11:52 AM
StaceyHurley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Coolant Light Stays On

I read a thread that talked about the 2001 Escape's Engine Coolant light staying on, which mine is doing, even after I had the radiator flushed and new coolant added. One member stated that the degas tank needed to be replaced. Any idea how much that would cost - or any other ideas as to why the light is staying on?

Appreicate any feedback, thanks!

Old 06-04-2004, 03:44 PM
ove1
Senior User
It may be a faulty sensor in the degas tank. That was a fairly common problem with the '01. However, it would be worth a try to add a little additional antifreeze mixture to the tank (up to an inch over the 'full' line) to see if that will turn the light off.

Changing the tank is not all that hard if you are a DYIer. I don't know the cost, but you could call the parts department at your dealer for a quote.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:05 PM
StaceyHurley
New User
Ove1, thank you for the info... I'll add the antifreeze first tonight and see how that goes. If the light stays on, then I'll call and see about getting the sensor replaced.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Mojave2k
Senior User
Can't the sensor be checked and changed if faulty?? It is a common problem for the fluid level sensor to act up.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Jerry Gougeon
Elder User
Pinto:

My eldest son just bought an Escape 4X4 . When checking out the products out there for him to chose from I contacted an old friend that works in the records end of Ford Canada's Warranty and Recalls Dept.

She told us that the Escapes record so far is only surpassed in Fords history by the Pinto .

The lad bought it anyway and said he would only have it till the warranty runs out any way .

Well , at least it is a Ford any way not some KIA or the like .

Old 06-23-2004, 06:28 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Escape is one of the least seen vehicles in our shop. Very few serious problems at all. Low coolant lamp was a common problem and Ford just had us replace the tanks.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:19 PM
StaceyHurley
New User
Thanks Homer - I'll more than likely have to have the tank replaced. Is it expensive to do???

Lawton huh? My Grandmother still lives there, Cache and 38th.

Thanks again...

Old 06-23-2004, 07:25 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
I havent had to price one so I cant say for sure. They have all been under warranty when Ive done them. Your Grandmother lives VERY near me.. I work for Billingsley Ford of Lawton, formerly Howard Smith Ford.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:39 PM
StaceyHurley
New User
Thanks again for the info - I'll call the Ford place here. It's been several years since I was last up (Grandpa's funeral) but my Aunt and Uncle live there too. I need to get back, and each time I go, it changes so much. Did you go to school there?

Old 06-23-2004, 07:42 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Oh no, Im not a native here. I came along as many did with my military career and settled here when I got out. Im from Kansas City Missouri natively. My Grandparents and my mother were originally all Okies though. Ive been here 12 years.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:27 AM
omio
Freshman User
We had our tank changed at about 20K under warranty.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Grogg
New User
Hi everyone. New guy here. I was looking for an Escape forum specifically for this problem. I have a 2001 XLS with 60K on it. The coolant tank light came on over the weekend, after I had been driving about 15 minutes. The level in the tank seems within limits, the temp gauge is reading normal, and after driving for a while and looking under the hood, nothing seems to be overheating. The light doesn't stay on, but seem to be intermittent. The light also goes off when I stop and put it in park. I'll try putting as little bit more coolant in tomorrow and see how that helps.

Old 11-02-2004, 10:24 AM
StaceyHurley
New User
Hi Grogg - I added additional antifreeze but it didn't stop the light from coming on. I monitor the temp guage and coolant levels all the time. They are fine, so I let the light come on and go out as it pleases and will, at some point, get the tank replaced. Oh well.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:24 AM
dcohen01
New User
me too..

had my 2001 in for this at dealer last week, told me there is a sensor issue with the tank. Could spend about $250 to fix (out of warranty at 70k) or ignore the light......guess what I did!

Old 12-16-2004, 09:52 AM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by dcohen01
had my 2001 in for this at dealer last week, told me there is a sensor issue with the tank. Could spend about $250 to fix (out of warranty at 70k) or ignore the light......guess what I did!
Overfill the tank 1/2 inch past the seam on the tank.. sometimes that will fix it. You can also try unplugging the sensor to see if that will make the light go out if you really dont need it.

Quick Reply: Engine Coolant Light Stays On