1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 PSD problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 10:05 PM
tdup
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 PSD problems?

I am looking at getting a 97 PDS 4x4 with either the manual or auto. Is there any inherent problems with this year model that I need to be aware of when purchasing. Longevity of the Auto? Most of my towing will be 2500lbs or less

Thanks, Travis.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:14 PM
psdpower
Elder User
I would be wary of any autos you look at. If the guy has mantinence records that might make me feel better but still be careful. Drive anything you look at as much as possible before purchase. Drive on all types of roads and at all speeds. Pay close attention to how the tranny shifts and torque converter lock up. If anything feels off look elsewhere. Killed the auto in my 97 at 75000 with light towing and minor mods.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:27 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
i agree with psdpower, i myself own an auto and im still scared to death my tranny is gonna crap on me any day. if i was to do it over again i would have bought a stick and day of the week and twice on sunday. they're just much better and a heck of alot cooler as they spit black smoke when you lug 'em. they're by far the best trannys to have if your planning on moding your truck to any extent, well at least with out dumping more money in your tranny then you spent in mods just to keep it alive. let me know the outcome