Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting 86 to PSD

Old 01-27-2001, 10:30 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
Converting 86 to PSD

Here we go again Fellas!! I just come across the deal of a lifetime. I picked up a wreck (bad) 95 F350 XLT Lariet CC/DRW Powerstroke 5 speed. I will probably start tearing into mine as soon as time permits. what I want to do is put the engine and tranny into my 86 and totally gut the interior out of my cab and put the 95 interior into it. Anyone have any ideas on snags I may Hit? While I have the interior gutted I might as well paint the inside of the cab. This is going to take some serious time and probably more than a little cash. The 95 runs and great and the tranny appears fine as well. the center section to the rear end may be alright but the axle tubes are snapped off about half way up.The front tank doesn't appear to be leaking for some reason (box is mangled over top of it lol) the interior is perfect and the cab sustained no damage. I think this may be cool. I love the body of my 86 and love the interior of the 92-96 trucks. I also love that PSD! Look out world, parts are gonna be flyin'

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 01-27-2001, 11:21 PM
whd507
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Converting 86 to PSD

you have a LOT of work ahead of you. the firewall is different and will have to be welded into your old cab. you should use the 95 cab if you can. the entire fuel system and tanks and wiring will have to be swapped over. you will need an undamaged rear end assembly from a 95-97 to get the sensor and related stuff on the ring gear to make the ABS and the speedometer/engine management computer to work. you will also have to make the PSD radiator core support fit your fenders/hood, and would have to make modifications to the intake system to clear your older hood. you would also need to use the 95 inner fenders to hold all the related "stuff".

if it were me I would find a 92-97 F-250/350 gasser with a blown engine and convert that to diesel (still a lot of work, but less than what you are comptemplating.

JMHO

Old 01-27-2001, 11:35 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
Converting 86 to PSD

I didn't think ford did any structural changes to the cab in 80-96? The whole reason I don't want to use the 95 cab is because I want the truck to stay an 86 and I don't want a salvage title. Do you think I can just change out the guts in my rear and modify mine as required? if not then I will just get a new one. The wiring doesn't scare me too much as I have the whole truck here. The front end is in nice shape so I might be able to use some of the parts from it. I didn't think that the core support size changed from 86 to 95 models, just sheet metal. I know if I was going to run the 95 front clip I would need the core support for bolt up purposes. This might be a bigger project than I thought. I like the 86 style so I want to stick with it. Thanks.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 01-28-2001, 12:23 AM
alanscott
Posting Guru
Converting 86 to PSD

It would look good though to see a PSD fender badge on an '86 body

alanscott

[link:ford-trucks.com/users/alanscott/|http://www.ford-trucks.net/users/alanscott/clubftesml.jpg]...Click!

Old 01-28-2001, 12:12 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru
Converting 86 to PSD

Brad, sounds cool, I would go for it!!!! but then some of us have no sense. but hey if we all had sense nothing new would happen would it? the firewall should be close enough to work the only difference could be for the turbo I don't know if your rear can be modified but that is the least of your worries right nowthe radiator support I would measure the rads. see if you can use yours I know mine is awful big I don't think it can be any bigger than what you already have.and you can mount anything you want on your fenderwells so they don't have to be changed. And only thing I'm not sure of inside is the dash itself never changed one over but the rest bolts right in. C'mon if you can do jet engines you can do this!!!!! John

Old 01-28-2001, 12:38 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
Converting 86 to PSD

Thats what I am thinking.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 01-28-2001, 12:44 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
Converting 86 to PSD

I'll keep you posted John. Birthday is coming up, hoping for a digital camera. lol. never had a use for one until I met Ya'all. It ought to be interesting to see what she will do when I finally get it all done. I have been workingpart time and weekends lately haiuling equiptment for a buddy of mine. I know how it pulls now, can't wait to see how it pulls with a powerstroke (and a few mods)

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 01-28-2001, 03:50 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru
Converting 86 to PSD

Brad, I have a friend who is die hard chevy and when he needs something pulled he calls me he said that thing will pull down a house I can't imagine having anything that will pull more than my 6.9 but I guess the 4 wheel drive makes a difference too. if that thing pulls harder than my truck I would be scared of what you could do with it!!!!! LOL good luck its a shame you're not closer then I could get my fingers in it too.
John

Old 01-28-2001, 08:31 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
Converting 86 to PSD

With only a month and a half to go until I go to England I might have to put it off until I gret back from over seas. We are hoping to get stationed at Langly in Virginia. It is a good mid way point between my family and the wifes family. I have been trying to get stationed at MaGuire AFB in New Jersey for years. Closer to home (and I like the climate better). I'll let you know where we wind up. I am not leaving this board for quite a while lol. I bet the 4x4 does help out alot. mine is 2wd with a 4.10 locker rear. pulls like mad. these trucks are pulling machines. I was out looking today and I think the powerstroke will slip right in. I did a little measurement and I the core support for my 86 should work with the 95 radiator with a little modification. (redrilled holes and such) I think the 95 inner fenders will bolt right up in place of my 86 ones also. should be bolt together with ALOT of wiring it is looking.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 01-28-2001, 08:31 PM
whd507
Posting Guru
Converting 86 to PSD

wasnt trying to scare you out of it, just trying to forewarn you.
the rear end has a sensor on top that "reads" a ring on the ring gear to make the speedo work (no speedo cable. all electronic) and tells the computer lots of info, and reads the ABS signal. you might be able to drill and tap the case and then use the guts from the other pumpkin, but I dunno (ask Delontow) as far as the core support it is lower at the bottom as the PSD radiator is deeper, you might be able to weld the radiator area sheetmetal onto your old support to ba able to bolt up your old sheetmetal (fenders, hood ect) the fire wall is different but you could theroreticaly weld inj just the needed areas, you would need to use the entire dashboard from the 95, I would use the 95 cab and use your frame number for registration and eliminate the 95 sticker. to use the 95 door panels you would need to use the 95 doors also. the inner fenders are important to keep things where they need to be, and dont match the contour of the 86 fenders but could be modified with a heat gun perhaps.

Old 01-28-2001, 08:33 PM
whd507
Posting Guru
Converting 86 to PSD

the easiest way I can think of is to find a wrecked international 4700 with a 444 in it and trade the wrecked PSD for it, and use the navistar brain box (small and simple to retrofit)