Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Turning down the fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 12:39 AM
alantbird
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning down the fuel

The pump on my 86 6.9 was turned up for a turbo by the guy I bought it from. Have been trying to tweek it for some time to run in my non turbo.
I turned it back 3/4 turn as instructed by seller.
I am not sure it is helping any.

Is counter clockwise the right direction in order to turn it down?
Or am I turning it up instead? I seems to smoke white more now then before I turned it.

I had it Dinamically timed a about a month ago and it's harder to start now then when it was too far advanced. Have just replaced a bad controler and still need the bypass glowplug button to get it started when it's warm.

Am I wrong to think it's still getting too much fuel and flooding a little when it's warm?

once started and warmed up it purs but still smokes white at any exceleration.

Thanks for any advise.......AlanT

Old 01-26-2001, 12:59 AM
deleontow
Laughing Gas
Turning down the fuel

You turned it in the right direction, but turned it way too much, you should only turn 1/6 of a turn, or one side of the allen. Also check and make sure that your cold start advance is working, and that the temp switch located on the front of the right head is plugged in. Let me know what you find.

Dave

http://a2ztowing.homestead.com/a2ztowing.html

Old 01-26-2001, 05:16 AM
fordiesel69
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Turning down the fuel

I had my pump rebuilt about 8,000 miles ago. When I had it rebuilt I told them I wanted it calibrated for fuel economy. With the bad pump I was getting 6mpg on the highway, and 3-4mpg around town. Now I am getting 9-10mpg around town, and 17-18 on highway. I am unhappy with the power, and there is NO black smoke coming out during acceleration. So I guess I got what I wanted. Can anyone tell me what cover to remove and how to go about turning it UP slightly?

One more question, If it is calibrated, and I turn it up and am unhappy with it, can I turn it back to where it was and have it right? Or is it to precise.

Old 01-26-2001, 10:00 AM
alantbird
Junior User
Turning down the fuel

The auto advance is working and I turned it back 3/4 turn because the guy I bought it from TURNED IT UP 3/4 TURN.
I am averaging 15.5 mpg so I guess I should be happy with that and have my Injectors tested at this point.

I am thinking that adding propane if I can afford it will clean up the smoking and add some power.
Any Ideas where to find a decent and affordable propane kit?

Thanks......AlanT

Old 01-26-2001, 10:13 AM
alantbird
Junior User
Turning down the fuel

In hindsite I would have sent my bad pump to a GOOD rebuild shop and had it redone right the first time. I have spent more money and time trying to save money.
I have heard so many versions of how far to turn the fuel screw.
1/6 turn to 3/4 turn.

Behind the trianglular shaped plate on the passenger side is where you'll find the Allen hex screw, But you must pull off the oil filler neck to align the cotter pin at the front of the pump to 12 oclock. I had to turn the engine by hand to line it up exaclty to where I could get to the screw.
GIVES ME HIVES EVERY TIME I THINK ABOUT DOING IT AGAIN!!!!!
I have done it TWICE and busted the bolt off that holds on the cover plate on the first go round. My gardien angel was with me that day cause I got the threads out with a needle nose.

Think long and hard before you attempt this chore.
Mine is still smoking but I'm avg. 15.3 mpg.
My only concern is Emissions test in Sept.

Good luck.......AlanT

Old 01-26-2001, 02:19 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
Turning down the fuel

I know how you feel, one of the previous owners had turned the fuel up on mine also. It would smoke black i a hard pull and drink the fuel. I went down an 1/8 turn and back up 1/16 of a turn, just a carry over from the old Fuel controls on J57 jet engines, always make your final adjustment up incase the internal bellows is sticking. Is this apply to injector pumps as well? Seems to have cured the problem though. I know get about 15 around town and have seen 19 on a trip once. Not too bad for what it is I guess. no smoke now either. hope this helps.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 01-27-2001, 06:58 PM
wytfut
Junior User
Turning down the fuel

i put headers on my '85, and had pump timing advanced a little then turned up pump 1/4.... mechanic said adjust by 1/16th measurements only and drive test each time

be4 headers ..... 22-23mgp with 135 factory hp
after headers 23-24 with 170hp

i like this truck.... bought it with 128k and it is just about to pass up 200k .... always has used oil, when not workin, work it and it doesn't use hardly a drop

Old 01-27-2001, 07:16 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru
Turning down the fuel

Hi, where did you get headers and How much were they?
John

Old 01-28-2001, 04:44 PM
wytfut
Junior User
Turning down the fuel

found the headers in a local small agricultural ad "rag" they mail around here (eastern nebr.). This place puts them on and adjusts pump the works for 1.1k back then....hmm 3-4 years ago.
they're shop is in northern kansas just straight south of red cloud, (truly apologize, can't remember the name of the place, but i will b lookin in the mail for his ad again, he ran it for at least 5 years). ratty little place and this fella knows what he is doing.
I was thinking it w..... hey my wife just found the brochure.... what a nice lady!!
BGI Diesel..... Osborne, Kansas 1-800-745-2103, how's that for service. he told me at the time he was going to get a web page started, but i don't know if it every happened.
This fella designed these headers and had then contracted out to build and chrome finish. he has other hi-po stuff for all the deisels (powerstroke stuff came down to a chip and plenum.
as you can see, i spent less money than a turbo, and probably got better results.
when the 6.9's were still fairly new and he just designed his exhaust system folks from all over the country were flying in and driving them home. (it takes a full 8 hour day)
if you haven't heard a 6.9 with headers, oversized pipe, turbos, and a cross overpipe, u haven't heard the sound of beauty.
what gears u guys running that u b getting such poor fuel miles out of a 6.9.....
one of my friends here had one with a 5 speed and was getting close to 26-27mpg's.
i got 356's, with a 4 speed....
well i hope this helps, some of you fellas.... let me know if you contact those kansas folks ......

Old 01-28-2001, 07:31 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru
Turning down the fuel

wytfut, thanks for the info I'll try to look him up or maybe see if he will send the exhaust I have 3.73 gears with a c6 automatic and get right around 19.5 just cant get 20 out of her.LoL John

Old 01-28-2001, 08:42 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
Turning down the fuel

19 on trips with a built C6 and 4.10 locker rear I am going to move up to a 3.73 or maybe even 3.54 as soon as I am done installing the new drivetrain.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 01-28-2001, 08:52 PM
bgodkin
Elder User
Turning down the fuel