1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

58 Steering Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 11:55 AM
guacamolemobile
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 58 Steering Rebuild

I read through the thread on FTE entitled "Front Suspension Alternatives for 1948 – 1960 Ford Trucks". I have a stock '58, and intend to keep it stock. However, I am looking for thorough advice on what it takes to get rid of my loose steering problem. I do not seem to have much if any wander, but the dead zone at center is approximately from 12:00 to 1:30. This seems like way too much.

I have already done a steering box rebuild, but there is still ample play in the wheel. My mechanic has been toying with the adjustments on the gear box, for meshing the gears together, but it doesn't seem to have much affect on the play. Also, he says he has checked all of the other components, but says they all look good. I think we need some advice from others who have been through this process, to see what else needs to be done. The steering box was rebuilt by a recommended shop. I expect that it is a good rebuild. Therefore, I am looking for what else needs to be addressed to get it back close to spec.

I am looking for a detailed explanation of what "a proper rebuild of all the stock steering and suspension components" consists of in order to eliminate all of the looseness.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a tip I got from others on this site: Try taking the weight off of the front wheels, then push and pull each wheel while your buddy looks at the linkage. Others have found their problem by doing this. It seems the parts look OK until you try this, then the bad stuff is exposed. Good luck, John

Old 06-03-2004, 08:46 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A few things come to mind. Check the 3 bolts holding the box to the frame. Do like the last post said to see if you can find some thing loose. Another way is to leave the truck on the ground and have some one rock the steering wheel back and forth then gust look at all the joints. Does the truck seem like it will turn sharper or quicker to the left than to the right? A low riding worn springs will cause this witch will cause the steering box not to be centered and not being centered will cause the box to have play. If that wasn't the problem I have a few more ideas. Their are many things that will cause this when every thing is rite it will work great.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 AM
guacamolemobile
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I'll post my results of these procedures. In the meantime, do you know if anyone has a good "Step-by-Step procedure for restoration of this type of front end?