Sponsored by:

engine locked up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Jay Gibson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry engine locked up

My 2002 excursion's 10 cylinder engine "locked up" suddenly while driving at around 60mph. I beleive it has around 50,000 miles on it. The dealer wants $7500. to put a new engine in. Am I the only one this has happened to? I purchased the vehical used. Can anyone give me some advise?

Old 06-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Dustin_86
Posting Guru
Why did the good ole V10 lock up, over heaterd? no oil?

Old 06-02-2004, 10:24 PM
sdilling
Freshman User
Got my attention

Please tell us more.... did you get any maintenance records from the previous owner? My son once had an engine that the dealership changed plugs on and unknowly they dropped a small bolt into a plug hole, yikes, 6 miles later it stop running. After a lawyer and several letters he got the dealer to come-up with a new engine...... (installed elsewhere)

No matter what the cause, the solution can be $painful$,

Good luck

Old 06-03-2004, 07:25 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Gibson
My 2002 excursion's 10 cylinder engine "locked up" suddenly while driving at around 60mph. I beleive it has around 50,000 miles on it. The dealer wants $7500. to put a new engine in. Am I the only one this has happened to? I purchased the vehical used. Can anyone give me some advise?
The v-10 has been very reliable for Ford, something big happened.
Did the dealer tell you what went wrong?

Old 06-03-2004, 08:18 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My sister and bro-in-law have a v-10 in their big motorhome... and have not had a hiccup with it...

I'm like tim - what happened ? any symptoms beforehand ?

Get an oasis report for your vin from ford and see what they have listed as far as repairs... maybe the previous owner was not the best "maintainer"....

good luck with it...

Old 06-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Jay,
I have a '99 V10 and am collecting info on any and all probs. Got anything for us?

I hope you don't have to drive that '53 around too much as a Daily...

Old 06-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Jay Gibson
New User
Thank you all for the response. I purchased this vehical for my shop foreman as a company car. He swears he was just driving home and, BAM!, it "locked up". I had driven it a couple of times and it seemed fine. The dealer said they could not say what happened unless they tore it down. I have not gotten much cooperation from car max. Don't know if I should persue legal action or just eat it and go on with life. My gut tells me the latter. It sounds like the 10 cyls. are OK and I have a situation that will never be truly uncovered. Does any one have a less expensive option than a brand new engine with out creating another set of problems. Also, I do plan on driving my 53 daily one day.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:36 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
How long had you had the car ????
If days, Carmax has some 'splainin to do....
I would still take the vin to a ford dealer... or post it here and someone may be kind enough to do an oasis for you to see if there was any "hidden " problems that Carmax did not devulge...

good luck...

Old 06-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
It's not like Carmax to sell a bad car. They spend alot of time and money reconditioning any car they choose to sell on their lot. They make sure everything works and runs right. They also fix anything and everything thats broken. Besides, selling a good car with a clear title is what their reputation is built on. So like everyone else, I'm a little confused.

Old 06-03-2004, 05:20 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Gibson
Thank you all for the response. I purchased this vehical for my shop foreman as a company car. He swears he was just driving home and, BAM!, it "locked up". I had driven it a couple of times and it seemed fine. The dealer said they could not say what happened unless they tore it down. I have not gotten much cooperation from car max. Don't know if I should persue legal action or just eat it and go on with life. My gut tells me the latter. It sounds like the 10 cyls. are OK and I have a situation that will never be truly uncovered. Does any one have a less expensive option than a brand new engine with out creating another set of problems. Also, I do plan on driving my 53 daily one day.
I truly believe they are a very well engineered piece of equipment with reliability to boot.
I have owned one and if you stick with the 10…IMO you will not go wrong.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
You know how those company cars are, you always have to mash the pedal to the floor to get them to take off and they never take off without spinning the tires... traction is a common problem on the fleet vehicles. And they can run forever on an oil change... or without oil

We once had a GMC Safari panel van that was our run-about at the machine shop I worked at. It was getting kind of tired, and my boss gave a couple of us the go ahead to "Tune it up." Well, the tune up didn't help much, but the Power Chip sure did

I doubt you'll find a cheap fix for this one, but I would definately check out the oasis report and have the person that installs the new motor see if they can determine the cause of the sieze in your old one. Use the dealership if you can get a good warranty, but otherwise you might save a few $$$ by just ordering a crate motor and having it installed by a local shop. I had a quote like that on one of our GMC Topkick flatbeds for $7500, it was a new engine install from the dealer. I bought a killer engine from Jasper for $3500 that was a lot better than a stock crate engine... and had it installed for $1500, and got a better warranty from Jasper than what the dealer offered. All they asked was that we change the oil cooler along with the engine, that added about $250 to the cost. Check around, you may get out of it a bit cheaper that way.

Good Luck

Old 06-04-2004, 08:22 AM
ExcursionUSA
Senior User
Sorry to hear about the hassle and problem you experienced. I also have a V-10 in my X, but had never any problems so far. Runs nice and smooth, with nothing to complain about. Have already 24K on mine...

Hope you find a solution!

Old 06-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Here is the V-10 that Jasper offers....

TYPE: GAS ENGINE TRUCK
MAKE: FORD
YEAR: 2002
MODEL: EXCURSION
LITER: 6.8 LITER V10
STOCK NUMBER: 181910 MPFI S COMPLETE, GAS

UPDATES:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***IMPORTANT INSTALLATION INFORMATION***
If vehicle is equipped with an external oil cooler, the cooler must be replaced before warranty is valid. The engine gasket set will not include the following gaskets; Upper
intake gasket, valve cover gaskets and water pump O-ring.

*****INSTALLATION KIT ALERT
This engine uses spark plug boots not plug wires. These boots are not included in our installation kits.
HYPEREUTECTIC PISTONS:Highly resistent to scuffing and wear.
GRAHPITE HEAD GASKETS:Pliable material that does not tear when casting
expand and contract. Graphite gaskets transfer heat evenly and will
deteriorate around water passages like Kelvar gaskets do.
MOLY PISTON RING:Higher durability, reduce cyl. wall wear.
CHROME PLATED VALVE STEMS:Have better oil retention, improved resists
to galling and greater overall durability than conventional valve stem
TORQUE PLATE HONING:Gives truer cyl. wall profile therefore reducing
the possibility of excessive oil consumption caused by distortion.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product summary: MPFI, SOHC
Block casting: F7UE-CD
Block casting location: PASS.SIDE OF BLOCK AT #5 CYL.
Crank casting: F7UE-AA
Crank casting location: BETWEEN #2 MAIN & #3 ROD JOURNAL
Head casting: XL3E-C20D
Head casting location: RIGHT FRONT & LEFT REAR SIDE OF HEAD

CORE POLICIES:
TO RECEIVE FULL CORE CREDIT, ALL CORES MUST BE LIKE FOR LIKE, WITH NOVISIBLE HOLES OR CRACKS. JASPER WILL NOT ACCEPT "JUNKYARD CORES". FORFULL DETAILS OF THE CORE POLICY, CALL JASPER ENGINES & TRANSMISSIONSAT 1-800-827-7455.

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY:
THE PRICE IS: $3748.75
SOLD ON AN EXCHANGE BASIS W/JASPER RECEIVING OLD UNIT AS A CORE.
PLEASE CALL FOR LEAD TIME REQUIRED TO PRODUCE THIS PRODUCT

Old 06-06-2004, 11:52 AM
RobertH
Tuned
Toreador, I disagree with the Carmax statement. Not starting a war here, but I got screwed by Carmax and lost several thousand $$$ after a year of constantly getting repairs on a car that was chronic with breakdowns.
Carmax would not support a decent tradein to get me out of the problem car. They would only give me trade in value and the car was less than a year off the lot and still in new condition.
I have since discussed my loss to others and they have provided me information where a lot of people take their problem cars in to Carmax to sell it out, so your opportunity to get a lemon or chronic problem car is high from their lot. I personally know two people that took theirs to carmax due to problems that was going to take a several thousand $$$ to fix and they didn't want to take the hit, so Carmax was the easy way to get out from under the problem.
Carmax does no more on fixing their cars than a reputable dealer does, and their warranty program does not always cover all problems.
Sorry to make this seem like a bashing, but I am just stating the facts as I have experienced it, and see that this might be what has happened to this V-10. Maybe someone allowed it to run out of oil, or run low, caused minor damage, got it running and sold it to Carmax.
Bottom line is if you buy a used car from them, get the full bumper to bumper warranty and make them stand up to it. My car did not have the bumper to bumper, but it would have covered a lost engine as long as I could prove it was full of oil.

Jay, from all I have read about the V-10, it is a very reliable engine, capable of long mileage. Hopefully, a new engine, and use the factory specification oil will get you going again and with a long term life on it! I love my V-10!

Old 06-06-2004, 12:38 PM
t0ny78
Junior User
how do you go about getting a oasis report on something?

Quick Reply: engine locked up