4R100 Reverse Shudder/Slip

Old 05-31-2004, 10:59 PM
bigslurrp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R100 Reverse Shudder/Slip

Happy Memorial Day!

So I have a 4R100 transmission that shudders and slips in reverse. My rig only has 36,000 miles on it. I installed the lower end of a transgo tugger kit a couple thousand miles ago. An interesting thing I noted was that there was no paper gasket to be found when I took off the valve bodies and plate. It had the 30K trans service done by the dealer. The fluid still smells good and the trans functions properly other wise. What think ye?

Last edited by bigslurrp; 05-31-2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:04 AM
hookin'78
Junior User
I just installed another one of these this weekend and I think I remember trans-go suggesting that you shouldn't just use part of the kit. your tranny is to bad to take out I figured out how to make really simple work out of doing this (even easier that a truck up on a lift) I fabricated some brackets to make pulling the tranny much easier. The pump mods really help out that transmission I would suggest doing them. If you are interested I can give you my information to contact me and give you many helpful tips on how to do some of these things.

Old 06-02-2004, 04:18 PM
bigslurrp
Senior User
Thanks for your reply. I have been looking into an extended warranty plan for my X. I am considering going back to stock with a new set of valve bodies. In talking with my transmission guy, these third party warranty companies send out inspectors to inspect the torn apart transmission and when they find a shift kit they balk and call it a modification and don't pay. Also my trans is supposed to have gaskets for the plate and the valve bodies and doesn't. I'll be interested to see what gaskets and back to stock valve bodies will do for this shudder. I'm sure I will hate the shifting but if I'm going to make a claim I am going to go in stock.

BTW, what are the torque specs for the valve body bolts? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:09 AM
bigslurrp
Senior User
I took my X into Aamco, just becuase they offer a free diagnosis services. They said my low reverse was going out and it needed a teardown and rebuild. This is what they quoted just FYI: $390 R&R labor, $585 rebuild labor, $1307 parts, and another $400 if they replace aluminum planets with steel ones.

So I pulled all my valve body, accumulator body, plate, etc off and ordered new ones. Ford said they wanted $214 for new valve bodies. When the parts arrived, it was only the valve body and not the accumulator which they want another couple hundred bucks for. I said screw that. So I went over my valve and accumulator body to make sure it was in line with the Transgo instructions. I drilled my holes bigger on the transgo plate... I took it to the largest number in the range that they suggest for each hole. I put new gaskets on, clean the valve bodies really well with a can of wd-40 and put it all back together.

Lo and behold, my shudder is gone and the trans shifts smoother than before. I don't know exactly what the problem was but I am going to leave it alone, except for doing the pump mods one day.

I didn't have any metal or anything in the bottom of the pan, just the usual small amount of stuff.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:27 AM
hookin'78
Junior User
Glad to see it fixed the shudder.....Valve body tq specs????........Um...I am going off of my memory but I have torqeing them to 55in./lbs. Seems like every one of these crazy trannies I do it is on a sunday and I can never call anyone. But that is what I have been torqueing them to and they have all been fine ,...I thinks thats correct anyways. If someday you are able to put in the pump mods you will like that to, makes you be able to feel the converter lockup between shifts .....makes the tranny feel a lot better.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:11 PM
bigslurrp
Senior User
The boys at Transgo said 100 in/pds except for the inboard 1-2 bolt which was 85.