1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'53 Bed assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 08:36 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'53 Bed assembly

I've been searching the archives looking to see if anybody has any tips on assemblying the bed for an f-100. I thought I saw an article someone did a few months back, but I can't find or remember anything. Does anybody have any tips or know where the article is? The assembly seems straight forward, but the front panel is giving me fits. I have a Dan Carpenter bed if that helps. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2004, 11:48 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find your post interesting since you have a DC bed , but apparently no collateral materials ( ie: pics, instructions) from the supplier. Do I assume incorrectly?? Reason... I am doing a test build of a 56 from scratch to see if it can be done all from new phone/web order parts using the FTE sponsors and advertisers in the truck mags with info,data and ideas only from this site. So far, I find fancy high dollar ads, ok parts, little or no supplier support, and very weak instructions ( some even wrong <TCI, Bobs> ) if at all. I have sent some parts back, but I WILL complete this truck.
If not for this site and the forders on it, I would never even try to build this test truck. 2 cheeers for 1-800-send my parts !!!
Good luck to you and thank God for FTE

Old 06-01-2004, 03:53 PM
fatfords
Elder User
I know that MAR-K out of Oklahoma City publishes some instructions for bed assembly. I have not looked at them or used them, but I did see them in their catalog.
Check them out at www.mar-k.com I have bought a few things from them and am very satisfied.

Good Luck!

Old 06-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why are you having problems with the front panel? Do you have a specific questions? John

Old 06-01-2004, 04:31 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Why are you having problems with the front panel? Do you have a specific questions? John

I can't really see where the top area bolts together to the bed sides, if it does at all. All I see are the bolt holes at the bottom, where presumably the bottom would bolt to the wood. So, that leaves me with a bottom bolting bed and sids that want to "flop" outward.

Old 06-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
The best I remember, the front panel is spot (tack) welded to the sides, no bolts.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:22 AM
mikew
Senior User
That's right.... I had to punch hole in the bed side and rosette weld it to the front panel. Same procedure with the rear crossmember.

Mike

Old 06-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
It sounds like the welding route is in your near future. The new bed kits bolt together, while you will need to decide if you want to drill out new holes for bolts or weld throught the existing holes. My kit also has two bolts on either side for the top. If you don't have the option of bolting, then drill a hole in the outside, clamp it in the proper position and tack-weld through the hole. Then grind flush. If your existing bed is in bad shape, I would suggest just plunking down the cash for a new kit. I figured it was going to cost me more in bodywork than the cost of a replacement. John