Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2004, 09:28 PM
New User

r4_m9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1962 econoline van questions.

hello everyone. I just found this great forum and thought i would ask some of you for your expertise. I own a 1962 econoline that i am restoring off and on. I have a couple of questions that i just cant find the answer to.
1. I am looking for a air cleaner assembly, does anyone know a place i can find one or a picture of one would be great.
2. Does anyone know where i can get a suspension lowering kit or the best one i can use.(by best i mean easiest to install.)
3.I am in dyer need of replacing the wiring harness to the whole van. Does anyone know of a place to get one or one that would be easily adaptable. thanks
Old 06-01-2004, 05:51 PM
all alone in the world

Jimbare is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
welllllllllll, lets see here.
air cleaner, there are 2 types, oil bath and paper element. both are pretty much econoline specific because of the size and carb spacing. depends on the carb you have as to which you need. if the carb has a stud sticking up, a paper element is what you want. if it doesnt have a stud, you can still have either one. the papers are a lot smaller than the oil bath, and not near as messy. but an oil bath can be converted to paper with a little bit of work.

there are no lowering kits for 61-67 econolines. most people do an axel flip to get them low, and i do mean lowwwwwwww!

about the only way to replace the wiring harness is with either a good salvage yard find. or with an after market harness that you adapt to fit. the only bad part about the aftermarket harnesses is they wont work with the econo headlite switch, you would have to replace the switch with something else. it is not that hard to do, just need all the parts before you start.

jim

underated and overworked.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:40 PM
New User

r4_m9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks jim,
Who would distribute those air cleaners?
How low is low? I live in upstate NY pot holes and snow drifts are always a concern. How do i go about flipping the axles?
thanks again
Old 06-01-2004, 07:38 PM
all alone in the world

Jimbare is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the aircleaners are almost impossible to find, i will send you an email with another email addy in it. if anybody has one this guy does.

the axel flip is a drammatic drop, probably 5-6 inches. mabey even a little more. might be a little much for your area.

you can have custom springs made to lower it however much you want to, do a search for eaton spring. they have dealers all over the u s and can make anything you want, aint cheap but can do it.

underated and overworked.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Senior User

Sanders is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had to rewire my 1964 Eco a few years back. It was fairly simple, I did it all in green wire so the current owner is still probably scratching his head.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:28 AM