Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Clickit, or ticket

Old 05-31-2004, 09:18 AM
peppy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clickit, or ticket

I saw all the commercials, and always wear my seat belt anyway. Shoulda clicked it. I always get on my wife for not wearing hers, this time she was, I wasnt. She was laughing at me the whole time the cop was writing the ticket, like while he was standing there. No gettin out of that endless teasing.

Old 05-31-2004, 11:35 AM
79driver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yesterday my dad got stopped for that. I was with him but I put on my seatbelt before the cop came over there. The cops around this town are especialy evil and stop you for anything.

Old 05-31-2004, 03:31 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
79driver... are they REALLY evil, or just enforcing the laws our legislature has passed ?

I actually wear mine all the time... thanks to my daughter who, at the time, was taking drivers ed in high school and got on my case all the time about it...

She's now got a masters and still has a Dad because about two months after she brow beat me into wearing the seat belt - I rolled my little sports car 5 times and walked away from it....

EVERYTHING else in the car was ejected !!!
never have found my cell phone charger, found the phone about 50 feet away from the car....

so make what you want of it...
and AGREED, there are some ludicrous laws, but this one works :-)

Have fun with the saying "It always happens to the other guy ".....

Old 05-31-2004, 03:52 PM
79driver
Elder User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
79driver... are they REALLY evil, or just enforcing the laws our legislature has passed ?
They are really evil, as in making us get out of the truck and searching the truck even though he had no reason to do so. He had an evil grin on his face like he enjoyed making us look like criminals. They also love to stop you for trivial things like wide tires (they stick out 1 inch from the fender) Actually i respect most cops and most cops in our town are good people, but there are 3 or 4 bad ones. I normally wear my seatbelt BTW.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:22 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
I always wear my seatbelt. I use to be a fire fighter and saw first hand what happens to people when they dont wear theirs. As disgusting as it is, I use to carry a picture of a woman who was involved in a wreck that my shift responded to. Well, what was left of her. If somebody in my truck or somebody I was riding with didnt buckle up I would show them the pic and tell them the story. Never failed.

79driver, unless I personaly know the LEO, I will never let one search my vehicles with out a warrent or a supervisor present. Call it paranoid, untrusting, or whatever you want. I call it covering my own "tail".
I normaly would be so worried about it but I've heard a couple times on local news of city cops who "decided" to find something in vehicles they searched. In each case they ended up being found out by internal affairs.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:11 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep,
just like the general population, not all people are good and follow the proper rules...

Your knowledge of the law can protect you more than anything else...
but it's best to be polite and "get back" at them thru the legal process...

I like to limit my exposure to the situations that CREATE the opportunity for "inquires"..

You know the guy they're screamng about now being killed because of a certain type "hold" they did ???

I REALLY don't have all the details.... but I heard there was drugs, and fighting, etc...

Whose fault was it that it happened ?

the cop that was tryrig to control the situation and may have NEEDED to go that far to control this guy to stop him from possibly hurting MY family with his rantings...
or
the guy who took the drugs,
who did whatever he did to draw attention to himself,
who fought the cops ????

Sorry, even though there probably is some bad ones out there, I have to believe its not always THEIR fault :-)

And thank them every day I see them...

Old 06-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Txquadhunter24
Elder User
the click-it ot ticket law has stepped up. We was stopped a few weeks ago by a Trooper, I figured my Dad was speeding or something, But he came up on my side of the truck stating I wasn't wearing my seat belt. I battled it ou with him a few mins stating I was Since I have to wear a seat belt because I have to on my disability or I'd bite the dash almost everytime we stopped or took a hard corner. We was bout ready to take my belt off while he had us stopped and showed him how i did on a slight nugde. He finnaly said he wasn't gonna kick a man while he's down and off we went. I think why he didn't see my belt on is because he was a good ways off the hiway and the 5% tint on my back glass, So the belt blended in.

Old 06-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Rosati
Postmaster
That's exactly why I like these old trucks, and motorcycles. Can't make me wear a seatbelt while driving those.
Being as I am only 5' 4", seatbelts ride on my neck and I refuse to get choked in the event of an accident. I'll take my chances flying through the air. I have enough padding to absorb the impact too!

Old 06-02-2004, 09:27 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
The next time you pass your local Fire Department or EMS station stop on by there and give them a nice big donation. Cuz sooner or later theyre gunna be cussin you out as they scoop whats left of you into a bucket. I've had to do it and I cant think of anything worse.

Or better yet, next time your at your local auto parts house look around for one of those plastic clips that slides over the waist belt portion of your seatbelt. It has a clip in it that you clip the chest part of the seatbelt into and you can slide it back and forth, basicly moving where the two portions meet to your left so the chest strap isnt crossing your neck. I have one one each side of my '66 Mustang. After I put in 3 point seatbelts (instead of the stock lap belt) I had the same problem, and I'm 6'1" LOL. Anyways, they work good and just might save your life. Not to mention make things a lot easier for the fire fighters who have to respond to your accident.

Old 06-02-2004, 09:47 PM
tsc
Senior User
[QUOTE=13MWZ]The next time you pass your local Fire Department or EMS station stop on by there and give them a nice big donation. Cuz sooner or later theyre gunna be cussin you out as they scoop whats left of you into a bucket. I've had to do it and I cant think of anything worse.

THANK"S

I don't mind risking my life at work to help people (running hot down a street, standing on a highway,pumping drugs to relieve medical conditions,etc..) but most stupid people don't realize, the best thing for us to see at a accident/collision, is everybody walking around and we just sign everybody off and leave empty.

So do yourself and your loved one's a favor: BUCKLE UP

Old 06-02-2004, 10:14 PM
TXTolley
New User
Hey yall I appriciate firemen and volunteer firemen, I think I'll sign up myself to be a volunteer firefighter sometime, but it really aint the states bussiness if i wear my seat belt or not. I'm only hurtin myself if I leave my seatbelt off, I think that maybe the state's just tryin to get some bigger pockets. And oh, by the way, I wear my seatbelt, altough i dont plan on gettin in no wreck. No disrespect to you figher fighters...keep up the good work....but the crooked politicians go after you for the stupidest stuff. To hell with Kerry and Perry. Good luck Bush.
Adios,
Drew--PROUD TO LIVE IN THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

Old 06-03-2004, 12:48 AM
tsc
Senior User
Originally Posted by TXTolley
Hey yall I appriciate firemen and volunteer firemen, I think I'll sign up myself to be a volunteer firefighter sometime, but it really aint the states bussiness if i wear my seat belt or not. I'm only hurtin myself if I leave my seatbelt off, I think that maybe the state's just tryin to get some bigger pockets. And oh, by the way, I wear my seatbelt, altough i dont plan on gettin in no wreck. No disrespect to you figher fighters...keep up the good work....but the crooked politicians go after you for the stupidest stuff. To hell with Kerry and Perry. Good luck Bush.
Adios,
Drew--PROUD TO LIVE IN THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS
Not to start an argument, but by not being belted, you pose to be a 150+ lbs projectile (assuming your weight).

For example, your driving down the street, you get T-boned at an intersection, you go flying into the back seat and take out your kid sitting in his/ her car seat. Or in the same situation, you go flying out the side window (yes it can happen, I've seen the results personally), you may or may not take anyone out, but the bystanders are now affected with post traumatic stress for seeing you ejected from the vehicle and skidding across the pavement and possibly suffering from multi-system injuries. This maybe "cool" to some, but to most it is disturbing (in real life as oppose to the TV reality shows).

Also to not affecting anyone else, do you have parents, friends, a spouse, kids? What about the emergency and rehab workers (Fire Fighters, Paramedics, Cops, Docs, Nurses, Physiotherapists, etc...) This is not a make work project for them; heck, most would rather not have this kind of business. I know I would'nt and I've worn my Paramedic patch with pride for over 10 years now and still going (Started in Army and now Civi).

We all don't plan on having accidents, thats why there called accidents and not "planned incidents"

To end this lengthy post, If everyone was wearing their seatbelt, the Cops and Politicians would have better things to worry about (I hope).

Old 06-03-2004, 01:01 AM
13MWZ
Elder User
That's what I'm trying to say, you AINT only hurting yourself. Your costing the comunity money for paying the Firefighters, EMS, and police to work the scene. Having your body and internals spewed all over the place keeps us there longer costing more money. Money coming from yours and mine taxes. On top of that your hurting everybody that gets cought up in traffic, in time, money, or other. Plus your hurting your family.

As a firefighter and now as a soldier, I dont mind myself getting hurt or worse to help somebody else. Wether you live or die we still have to respond to the call and still have to risk our lifes in traffic (wich by the way is more dangerous for us than fighting a house fire) to work the scene.

Just because your the person with a major case of roadrash or with your guts spewed over the highway doesnt mean your the only one that gets hurt from this. Look at the bigger picture and youll see how something as simple as not wearing a seatbelt effects so many people should you be involved in a wreck.
I know you said you wear your belt, so this isnt aimed directly at you, but to people with the same frame of mind and dont wear their belt.

I responded to a particularly disturbing call a couple years ago. It was a head on between a truck and a 4 door car. In the car was a 20 year old female driver, a 25 year old female passanger, and a 8 month old baby in the back seat (car seat buckled in correctly). Unfortunatly nobody in the car survived. The driver of the pickup probably would have, if he wore his belt. Instead he was thrown out of the truck and tossed head first into a 5' round oaktree. Talk about a messy scene. That road was shut down for 6 hrs while we "cleaned up". Puting the man from the pickup into a body bag was one of the most sobering experiances I've ever had. His body was basicly an accordian. His head was litteraly caved into his neck/sholders and I'd be supprised if he had any solid bones left. He took one heck of a hit.
If anybody wants to be that man, go for it. Dont buckle up. But I'd rather be a bit uncomfortable that end up feeling like a waterbaloon. If you could only imagine what kind of damage that does to the people that have to work on you and work the scene. If you could only hear the family of that man when they found out that they wouldnt be allowed to see the body because it was too hidious of a sight. Do you really want that to be your family?

Old 06-03-2004, 01:05 AM
13MWZ
Elder User
Good post tsc , I guess we were writing at the same time.

Last edited by 13MWZ; 06-03-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:10 AM
tsc
Senior User
Originally Posted by 13MWZ
Good post tsc , I guess we were writing at the same time.
And to you also 13MWZ

It's good to talk/read from someone who has walked the "(extended)thin blue line" and understands the "whole perspective" from the working side.

Thanks 13MWZ for walking the Green line now, may all your brothers and sisters return home safely.

Walk tall, Always be Proud and Honour those that have fallen before you (tsc= former Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infanty)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clickit, or ticket