1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make OEM gauges more accurate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 10:28 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to make OEM gauges more accurate?

I did a search, but couldn't nail down the info on "how to make the OE temperature gauges more accurate?" Something about a solenoid? or something with the truck's computer???

Anyone recall? Where can I get it? And what should I expect to pay for it? Is it difficult to install? or Should I have Ford do it? Does it involve reprogramming the truck's computer? And what is the cube root of pi R squared? (ok, skip the last question!)

Thanks everyone!
Daryl

Old 05-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Tadashi
Elder User
well the cubed root of pi R squared is 1.46459x^(2/3). Sorry have no clue about the guages but I am interested also so hitchhiking on this thread. I am also thinking about replacing the water temp guage with the boost guage. So I only need a pre-pyro on the pillar so I can keep my "oh crap" handle. Or is that water temp important?

Old 05-30-2004, 11:14 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tadashi
well the cubed root of pi R squared is 1.46459x^(2/3). Sorry have no clue about the guages but I am interested also so hitchhiking on this thread. I am also thinking about replacing the water temp guage with the boost guage. So I only need a pre-pyro on the pillar so I can keep my "oh crap" handle. Or is that water temp important?
OK, guess we're traveling together on this one!!! Hitch your wagon and come along...

Daryl

Old 05-30-2004, 11:33 PM
believer45
Posting Guru
DS59F100, I have sent you an eMail. If you will reply I will shoot back to you two MS Word attachments that have the instructions for making a gauge out of the "idiot gauge" we have in these trucks. The site will not let me see your eMail address, will not let me send attachments through the site and will not let me post my eMail address in this thread. All this is to maintain the integrity and virus-free status of this site and it seems to work.

That said, most who have done this report it is not as accurate or reliable as an aftermarket separate gauge and is more difficult to do.

Let me know if you want the information I have.

Dave / Believer45

Old 05-31-2004, 12:21 PM
believer45
Posting Guru
I sent the information off to two folks who requested it. One email address was rejected by my server - I think it was returned to an eMail address at this site which will not let me send attachments. Anyone who has requested the information please resend and give me another eMail address to use. Hopefully this will let me get the attachments to you.

Dave / Believer45

Old 05-31-2004, 11:28 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Dave,
So if I go the aftermarket gauge route, what am I looking at? AutoMeter's in a gauge panel? Does it require a lot of wiring? or is it more of a plug-n-play with the truck's computer? Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, but I know VERY little about this stuff when doing it on newer trucks (my '59 was a sinch!) and it makes me nervous to monkey with vital gauges, etc.

Thanks once again...
Daryl

Old 06-01-2004, 12:31 AM
believer45
Posting Guru
You can either go with a mechanical gauge like I used back in the sixties with a small plastic line going to a gauge mounted wherever I chose or you can get an electric gauge with a sender. You will need to find a port for the sender to go in, where will depend on the engine. Mounting can be under the dash, on the dash, in the dash or a pillar mount. I have even seen overhead consoles made but do not know if anyone sells them. I am SURE there are several sponsors on this site that sell what you need - if you click on the blue highlighted words in the text here that will take you to someone who sells them.

STEWART WARNER ELECTRIC gauges do not come with the sender.

AUTO METER ELECTRIC does include the sender.

STEWART WARNER MECHANICAL is cheaper.

You could also probably find them at www.jcwhitney.com

Hope this helps out.

Dave / Believer45