Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Automatic OD transmission problems on my `99 F250 Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 11:33 AM
njmellinger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am experiencing some transmission problems on my `99 F250 Powerstroke diesel equipped Super Duty truck. My truck has only 3,200 miles on it. On a recent 120 mile trip, while in overdrive, I noticed the transmission started to "hunt", or "slip", between OD, and third gear, at the slightest touch of the throttle, (or when the truck approached a slight grade). This condition continued for some time until finally it "defaulted" into OD, (the "off" indicator on the shifter **** started flashing, and the transmission locked into OD). I took the truck to the Ford dealer and they replaced a shift solenoid, flushed the transmission, (I was told the transmission oil was burnt), and they reprogrammed the computer. They also told me my truck had a "noisey" torque converter, (I thought that rattle noise was normal for Powerstrokes), and that they would replace mine, with an updated converter. I scheduled an appointment, to have it replaced, for the following week. After I picked my truck up the first time, I noticed the transmission now "double shifts" into OD, but once it finally gets there, it stays in, and does`nt "hunt" like it used to. It will shift into OD, shift back into third gear, four or five seconds later, and then shift back into OD, (this shift is usually a "sloppy" shift, not very firm at all). I told the dealer about the new condition when I took it back for the converter replacement, and right away they said they want to replace the complete transmissiom. While I don`t really care to have my brand new, 3,000 mile truck, torn apart already, that`s not the worst of it...they will be installing a "rebuilt" transmission, and not a "new" transmission! I tried everything I could to get a "new" transmission, or even the transmission in my truck repaired, but Ford won`t listen to me. I guess my questions are; Is this the best Ford can do for me? Are they jumping too quickly by replacing my transmission, maybe it`s just a problem with the computer program, or in the valve body? What do they replace in one of Ford`s "rebuilt" transmission? Do they replace just the soft parts, (seals, clutches, bands), or do they replace all internal parts? I don`t like the idea of having a transmission installed in my "brand new" truck, that may have 70,000 miles, or more, on it. Thank you for listening to my problem. I am a very dedicated Ford owner, but I am very disappointed with my new truck.

Old 11-01-2000, 11:08 PM
DIESELSITE
Former Vendor

Your first problem was definately the converter. The second issue is a known problem wit hthe E4OD and R4100 called the shift flare. There is actually TSBs for such. The fixes are all electronic in nature, like changing the pcm program. I have a valve that was manufactured to completely remove the shift flare. It is a problem in the valve body.

Although, it would fix it, I would prob let them change the transmission anyway due to shrapnal blown thru trans from TC. That's what happens when they are going out. I think they are being a little hasty as they could rebuild valve body and install a line filter as Ford requests on the TSB bullitins.
Bob

Old 11-02-2000, 01:10 AM
njmellinger
New User

Thank you, Bob, for replying to my transmission problem. I am very unsure as to which way I should go with the repair. Do you know what internal parts they replace on one of Ford`s "rebuilt" transmissions? I am very afraid that they will install a transmission that may have 50, 60, or 70,000 miles, or more, on the internal parts, and my truck has only 3,200 miles on it. Even if the transmission`s internal parts are inspected thoroughly, there is a good chance something could get overlooked. I paid alot of money for my truck, not to have used parts installed on it. Thanks again!

Old 11-02-2000, 07:21 AM
DIESELSITE
Former Vendor

At 10k, I also dumped a TC and was pulling thru the mountains at the time. I was 600 miles from home and wasn't about to quit. I tore up the transmission. They rebuilt MINE, not replaced it. I wasn't very happy with it either, but what are you gonna do. I would rather that than your scenario for sure. At least my shafts, etc had only 10k on them and not ??? Maybe you could push for a rebuild of yours, or maybe that's what they're gonna do anyway and you assumed they were putting another in it?
Bob

Old 11-03-2000, 01:37 AM
njmellinger
New User

When I took my truck back to the dealer for the torque converter replacement, and the "double shift" into OD problem, (my truck started this problem after they replaced a shift solenoid, flushed the transmission, and reprogrammmed the computer, a week prior to this current problem), right away the dealer told me they wanted to replace the transmission, and ordered a replacement in. My father, who works at this dealership, told me a "new" transmission, and a "rebuilt" transmission have the same part number, and there is a 95% chance it will arrive as a "rebuilt" transmission. The transmission came in the next day, and it was a rebuilt unit. As soon as I found this out, I put a hold on the repair, and called Ford customer service. They were about as helpful as a 3 year old, and told me that this was " industry practice" to install a "rebuilt" unit in my truck. Now, the service manager is trying to bride me, into installing this "used" transmission in my truck, by offering me an extended warranty contract "at a good price". I also told them I would aggree to have them rebuild my transmission, but they told me the costs to properly rebuild mine would be higher than what Ford would allow them to spend. They said the torque converter, valve body, and front pump would be over $1,800 alone. I really don`t understand why they can`t repair mine, I wonder what ever happened to "making the customer happy", and most of all "quality, job 1". I recently called a company by the name of Level 10 Transmissions, in N.J., and talked to their tech department about my transmission problem. They told me they would rebuild the entire transmission, (including replacing the parts mentioned above), for $2,250. I was thinking about just "biting the bullet", and having them do it. I really don`t want this "used" transmission in my truck. When your TC went south, what were the symptoms of truck? This "noisey" torque converter in my truck sound similar to a bunch of ball bearings rattling around in a coffee can, (mostly heard at an idle, or when slowing down and off the throttle). I hear alot of Powerstroke trucks with this same noise. Is this the sign of a "failed" converter, and will it cause problems down the road? I really can`t tell you how much I appreciate your help with my problem. I am a mechanic at an electric utility company, so I understand what`s going on here with my truck. Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2001, 11:49 AM
caelcamino71
New User

I to have a F350 powerstroke, the truck now has 42000 miles. At 41500 miles I heard this god awful sound coming from the trans area, I had the truck towed to my local dealer who has maintained this veh. from day one,they diagnose the problem as being the T.C.and they said that it most likly comtamenated the trans when it let lose, so they would replace the trans with a rebuilt one, put in a new t.c. and send me on my way for about 2700.00 dollars with a 12 month or 12000 mile warrenty, I ask if the rebuilt trans was any better the one that i had, was it built stronger or anything else,the ansewer was that it was rebuilt to ford spec"s my next question or statement was what had they done to stop this from happing again in 41000 miles they said nothing, that was the end of it, I had the truck towed back out to a local trans shop that I had used in the past and he assures me that the trans is as bullit proof as can be four what it is and it cost me the same, so if you can afford it I would have an outside shop do the work on your exiting trans and build it with after market parts that are made of metal not plastic put in a shift kit change the oil pan to the new billit pans that hold additional 11 quarts of oil and you should,nt have any more problems, Good Luck, P.S. The 42000 miles are all towing 12000 pounds all over the usa.

Old 04-21-2001, 04:07 AM
bgodkin
Elder User