1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

83 ford f150 w/351 windsor won't start any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:22 PM
farmsks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 83 ford f150 w/351 windsor won't start any suggestions

We were driving and it just died and won't start back up. The distributor is not your usual distributor it does not have points or a pickup coil. We replaced the ignition switch and that was part of the problem but still it won't start

Old 05-27-2004, 08:18 PM
FordF150Fixer
Senior User
Farmsks; Sounds like a clasic case of a failed ingition module. If the distributor has vacuum advance, you have a DuraSpark system. The DuraSpark module is about 4x4" and is usually mounted on the finder liner just in front of the power brake cylinder. Just follow the wires from the distributor to the module. If your distributor does not have vacuum advance, you have a TFI system, the TFI module is mounted directly on the distributor. You will need a special wrench to remove the TFI module from the distributor. The wrench is inexpensive and is usually available from most any parts store.

Many auto part stores will test the module for you. If you need to replace a Duraspark module, make note of the color of the plastic strain relief where the wires exit the module. Make sure the new module has the same color strain relief as the old module.

Good Luck, Let us know what happens.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:27 PM
farmsks
New User
I believe we have a dura spark 3 distributor. Is that the same thing as a TFI system. I am not sure. I have never seen this kind of distributor before. the ones I have seen have pickup coils but this one doesn't.The garage said they only put this kind of distributor in some f150's from 79-83 and they couldn't fix it because they needed a special computer. We replaced the coil and ignition module a couple of months ago. We thought the module might of went out again so we had it tested and it was good. We did a spark test on the spark plug wires and they were good but it seemed like there either wasn't a spark or just barely a spark coming from the coil. We are stumped so any information we would surely try. Thanks for the respond

Old 05-27-2004, 09:42 PM
bob arrington
Posting Guru
you can get a ford dura spark dist. for about 60 bucks and if thats your problem , you will have fixed it with a part that is easily replaceable and fixable,bob

Old 05-27-2004, 09:52 PM
farmsks
New User
We went to the parts store the other day and showed him this distributor and he has been there for 4 years and have never seen one of these before. Is it called a dura spark distributor? I am confused people call it different things and I don't know what to order. I know it doesn't have vacuum advance or a pickup coil and it is on a 351w in an 83 f150. Inside the distributor is a gray round plastic piece with 2 prongs on it and that sits on the distributor shaft. Is this the same kind of distributor you are talking about and would if this is bad would the spark plug wires still have spark??? help, very confused

Old 05-27-2004, 10:09 PM
jwf1999
Freshman User
yea its a duraspark system. Ive had the same problem and noone at the part stores knows about those distributors and they never believed me when i told them that it had no wires coming out of it. But its a duraspark III distributor. I changed mine over to a duraspark II with vacuum advance and put in a duraspark II ignition module and havnt had a problem since.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:32 PM
farmsks
New User
did you have the same problems showing spark from the spark plugs but not cranking. it is just strange because we were driving, turn a corner, then started getting back up to speed and it just died and haven't started since. the garage had it and it did not have no spark so we changed the ignition switch and now we have spark but still won't start.

Is it pretty simple to change over to a duraspark II. We were going to put just a regular distributor on it but it involves the wire harness I quess the regular distributor you have to plug into the wire harness and the one we have you don't. I appreciate all these responses I have never encountered this kind of problem before. We also checked the fuel and it is getting plenty of fuel to the carb.

Old 05-28-2004, 07:11 AM
jwf1999
Freshman User
No my problem was i shut the truck off one day and then it wouldnt start the next. It took me and my dad a good 2 weeks before we gave up and switched it over to duraspark II. Theres only 3 wires that have to be spliced into the wiring harness for duraspark II i believe. i have the ford factory wiring book for this truck so ill have to look it up.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Shesalonewolf
Freshman User
Red face Duraspark III discussion here

~Hello, I have been having my own share of problems, that I have been hashing hout here on the forums, under a different thead. Alot of helpfull information has been said, so perhaps you might find some of it usefull to you also. I have the same year, model, engine, and DURASPARK III ignition, (brown gromet ) that had started refusing to start for us also. About the only thing that we have not replaced in our situation is the durasparkIII itself. Anyway here are the links to the threads, all of them centerring around the duraspark III. Hope this helps!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=237783
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=238807
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=241946
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=242707

Old 06-03-2004, 01:39 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
farmsks, it sounds like the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) has failed. Besides the links Deb gave you, here is another that explains how to test and replace the CPS:

Test and replace EEC-III CPS

Hee hee! I would have never known this thread was about Dura Spark III except I saw Deb post to it and had a hunch. Us Dura Spark III/EEC-III owner's have our own little support group, LOL! We sure need it. There is hardly any support at all for it from Ford or the aftermarket. BTW, it's actually a very good system. It's just hard to find information about it. When it act's up, most mechanic shops will just install a new ignition module and hope you go away and don't come back. (I'll bet all of us have at least one spare module!)

Old 06-03-2004, 02:44 PM
farmsks
New User
Thanks for all the suggestions. Last night I was surfing the web and found out that there is a ecu module located under the drivers seat>strange place I would of never looked under there> but anyway this guy on the internet was having the same problem and he replaced that and everything is fine. I called the Ford dealer and they want 250.00 for one. Do you know if there is any way to test those ECU modules or if I should just go ahead and test the CPS and if that is good just replace the distributor. We checked last night and are getting no spark the other night we thought we were getting spark but we aren't now and it is still not wanting to start. I am trying to stay positive but it is driving me nuts to figure out what is wrong.

Old 06-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Shesalonewolf
Freshman User
Wink Nuts is a relative term at this point~!

If it werent for the DurasparkIII "support group" Horsepuller mentionned we have started here..lol I would be completely nuts by now~!! After troubleshooting, testing, late nites, and long days, I still havent got it figured out..*sigh In an earlier post I had mentionned an exorcism.....think I am gonna go ahead and try that next...right after I go and check out one other thing...that your post on the ECU module reminded me about The module under the seat of our truck, was never hooked up ! I am going to go out now, and see if by chance someone who was helping me plugged it in. It has never been hooked up since the day I acquired the truck....the truck ran fine, so I never questioned it....("Ïf its not broke", -you know the rest of that one...lol).
I stumbled onto your post last night while looking for wiring schematics online I was surprised when I spotted it, I didnt know how I missed it either, but I think since it was almost identical (we have the same year of f150, same engine, and of course the DURASPARKIII , THAT HAS THE SAME PROBLEM!!!) I more than likely thought it was one of my posts. I think that may have also been how Scott may have not caught it either..lol..(I have had endless questions here~! Thank goodness your all so patient here~! ) As we have been hashing on this for some time now...! Anyway, yacked enough here, I just thought that with all the territory we had all ready coverred dealing with the DurasparkIII, it might help you with your questions. And also, with so many good minds working on this...we have to come up with something... RIGHT!??! lol..Shesalonewolf aka Deb

Old 06-03-2004, 06:39 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
farmsks, I would suggest testing and replacing the CPS if necessary. I think the part is around $65. If the CPS fails, you will get no spark, or very weak spark because it's not telling the ECA when to fire the coil and distributor. I have experienced and repaired this same problem on my EEC-III truck engine.

You would need a dedicated test device with a 32 pin connector to test the ECA module under the seat. (Rotunda T79l-50-EEC II or T80l-50-EEC II) If those still exist, they are probably now just a paper weight on a dusty shelf of some Ford garage!

I don't think it would do any good to replace the distributor. Besides the cap and rotor, there is nothing inside the EEC-III distributor that can wear out or break except the shaft. (There is a sleeve adjustment on the end of the shaft to reference the rotor with TDC. But get your truck running now, we can go over that later. It won't prevent the distributor from firing.)

One other thing: If you have removed or replaced the plug wires on the distributor cap you need to make sure that they are replaced in the right order...

351w firing order: CCW 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

351w wire order: CCW 1-5-7-8-6-3-4-2 (EEC-III/Dura Spark III distributors only.)

The reason the distributor cap is wired different from the actual firing order is because Dura Spark III distributor's fire alternately from both sides of the rotor. That's why the rotor has electrodes on both sides. (If you start from #1 and jump back and forth 180 degrees Counter Clock Wise you will see the normal firing order.)

Thanks Deb, for putting all the links in your post. I didn't have to search too hard to find a thread with the fire/wire order in it!

Scott

Old 06-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Shesalonewolf
Freshman User
Your welcome, I just happenned to have them handy....lol...
Shesalonewolf aka Deb

Old 06-05-2004, 11:04 AM
farmsks
New User
I have a stupid question to ask but I am a woman and I have never dealt with setting time before. Where would I look to see the firing order and do I need a timing light to do this? I have learned alot about vehicles over the past years and they always used a timng light but I was wondering if there was a way to set the timing without one? Thanks Again,

Karen

Quick Reply: 83 ford f150 w/351 windsor won't start any suggestions