Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update and opinions on the stock Bedliner or Rhinolining?

Old 05-26-2004, 02:41 AM
imampt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update and opinions on the stock Bedliner or Rhinolining?

Hey Guys:

A while back, I posted that my month old 04 150 SCREW Lariat 3.73 4x4 mysteriously didnt start. Well, thanks for all the help that you guys gave, but after nothing worked, I sent it back to the dealer with the Roadside assitance plan w/ Ford. It actually ended up being the crappy alarm system through "Karr", it shorted out. The dealer fixed it and I did the Perma-plate coating will it was down there. So if any you guys have a problem one day starting your new 150, it may be the Alarm.

Anywho, you guys have any opinion on whats better, the stock bedliner from the dealer, or getting Rhinolining?

Thanx Dudes!

John

SoCal

Old 05-26-2004, 06:09 AM
scottb1014
Senior User
In my opinion - neither.

1. My brother-in-law has the Rhino liner, and swears up and down he wished hed gotten a normal liner. Dont crawl on it with shorts on.
2. Dealers liner - too expensive. I got an aftermarket liner for half the cost the dealer was going to charge.

I think the Rhino is "heavier duty", looks ok too - but i think i will stick with the normal liner. My 2 cents

Old 05-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Motoguy79
Junior User
I am getting Line-X put in on tuesday, from what I have read and heard it is a harder finish than Rhino and they have a "Nationwide" to fix it instead of Rhinos "Dealer" warrenty.... basically if the dealer that sells you the Rhino goes out of business your stuck with it if something were to happen (tear, get a hole... etc....) But thats just my thoughts on the matter. I had a hard plastic dropin in my 96 Dodge and found it rubbed the paint off of the bed and started to rust so I will never get one of those again...... Dodge or the bedliner lol.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Preacher150
Junior User
I have a Line-X and it is great. There is no raddling, buckling, screws vibrating out or scratching that is visible (they sand the bed). I believe it helps make the ride even quieter as well. If you have a tool box, talk them into spaying the inside of it while they are at it.

If you go with Line-X, you can print yourself a $20 off coupon a the following link: http://www.line-x.com/

This was my first bedliner and I will never go any other way.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:49 AM
tdbb
Junior User
I had the X-liner in the 04 Screw, very clean lines, hard thought, things will slid around just like you had no liner. just put the Rhino in the 04 Scab, not as cleanly done, but noting will slide around, So if you want looks X-liner, want your cargo not shifting around, Rhino, Warrentie, what can go wrong if installed correctly, I did my Race trailer floor, in Rhino, 5 years ago and still looks like new.about 300 eather way, 200 extra to add color.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:43 AM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
I got a free Ford drop in bedliner from the dealer. The fit is very good and it doesn't rattle or anything. You can actually slide stuff around without getting in the bed unlike the Rhino/Line-X spray ins. I could care less about rust underneath since I won't be removing it and I probably won't have it long enough to rust out the bed totally. I think I'll stick with the drop in.

Old 05-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Motoguy79
Junior User
I think that is the first time I have ever heard of anyone saying they don't care if their vehicle rusts or not....

Old 05-26-2004, 10:37 AM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
Originally Posted by Motoguy79
I think that is the first time I have ever heard of anyone saying they don't care if their vehicle rusts or not....
Come on, that's not what I meant. I meant that I don't care if SURFACE rust forms under a bedliner where it's never seen. I don't think it's too far-fetched to think that people wouldn't care about that as long as it isn't rusted through and compromising the bed. Believe me, there is surface rust somewhere on ALL vehicles that you can't see.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:42 AM
sprintcarcrazy
Senior User
I drove 240 miles round trip to get the Line-x, it was worth the drive, very sharp looking and so far, has held up great. I have seen the rhino, to me the line-x leaves things much better detailed, as it doesn't fill in all the groves, etc.

The line-x doesn't feel very good on your knees, so I am using the dealer supplied F-150 bed mat. They look good together and provide some cushion if I need to crawl around or lay down inside the bed. (Don't ask)

Old 05-26-2004, 10:49 AM
fsuranger
Freshman User
If your drop in liner moves around and supposedly causes rust, isnt it logical to think that it will keep moving and not let rust form? I agree that it can remove a little paint but I have had the same liner in two different trucks (rangers) and no rust, but a little paint is gone. Go with the drop in but get a good brand, dura or penda liners are the best.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:57 AM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
Originally Posted by sprintcarcrazy
They look good together and provide some cushion if I need to crawl around or lay down inside the bed. (Don't ask)
I've had to "lay down" in a truck bed before and it was on the bare metal. Believe me, after some alcohol and a little passion, you don't really care where you're at.

Old 05-26-2004, 11:11 AM
CruelCrew
Senior User
Believe me, after some alcohol and a little passion, you don't really care where you're at.

Go with the Line-X. You won't be sorry. The drop-ins do eventually cause rust in the bed, and they end up rattling, coming loose, and warping. Plus all those ridges molded into that stuff is harder on your knees than any spray in.

If you do the Line-X (or any spray-in), make sure whoever does it removes the bed tie-downs before spraying. Also have them tape off the bed hold-down bolts so the bed can be removed it needed. And don't let them spray right over the access to the tailgate latch. If the latch needs repair, you'll never be able to open it up. They need to disassemble the access and spray it seperately.

Old 05-26-2004, 11:25 AM
scottb1014
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordguy61mi
I've had to "lay down" in a truck bed before and it was on the bare metal. Believe me, after some alcohol and a little passion, you don't really care where you're at.
Thats gotta be rough on your bum......

I have the pendaliner, with a mat underneath to prevent the rust / wear and tear. I just am not a big fan of the spray in liners. To hard on the knees (No jokes please ) Plus its hard to slide things in (again, no jokes )

Old 05-26-2004, 11:29 AM
williamson
Junior User
You know, I have been wondering which way to go in my new truck as well. I ordered a new Lariat SCAB a couple of weeks ago and was talking to a friend who had the Rhino installed. It looked very good! He said that the drop ins cause rust. Now I just had to check that theory out. I have a 93 Ranger with the plastic drop in bed liner for 11 years. I have never removed the bed liner before but the curiosity got the best of me. The other day I removed it and to my surprise there was NO rust at all. Yes a little paint rub-off but NO rust. Now I can't say that I carry heavy loads that might help to wear the paint down faster or even cause deeper scratches, but come on, 11 years in Florida rains and NO rust!! I'm just not convinced just yet that drop-in liners cause rusting, maybe so in other conditions, but not here, not for me anyway. I'm not sure what I will install just yet in my new truck (can't wait till it gets here) but I just wanted to share my experience with others. I'll post pics of my new truck when it gets here!

Old 05-26-2004, 11:52 AM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
Originally Posted by scottb1014
Thats gotta be rough on your bum......
No, rough on HER bum...hehehe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update and opinions on the stock Bedliner or Rhinolining?