Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

power stroke most durable diesel engine?

Old 07-31-2004, 06:37 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some people just have an inferiority complex so they need to come to a Ford enthusiast website and challenge things that are facts.

Old 07-31-2004, 07:04 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordLariat
Again, if 98% of PSDs are on the road, then their rods aren't failing, or at least not enough to be a factor in the real world. If only 2% of the millions sold are failing, odds, are, the rods in your engine are going to be just fine. People have upgraded their PSDs with propane and all sorts of things, doesn't change the fact that 98% of them are still on the road. I fail to see where they're tearing up, not working or not durable. No other engine can make that claim in the market that we're debating about. On paper, there are plenty of reasons why the Cummins should be better, it's an inline, it's simpler, it's balanced better, it revvs lower, but still, 98% of the PSDs ever sold are still on the road, and this is not true for the Cummins. So, evidently, what's on paper doesn't really matter, because it doesn't work that way in the real world.
If you damaged your engine. Would you not repair it and put it back on the road? An example. A truck is worth 15-35 thousand. You do 2000, or more, dollars damage. Does it go to the junkyard or do you replace the rods.
By weight or by volume. Diesel has about 128k btus and gas averages about 114k btus. I got about 12% more btus. There are extremes but this is average.

I have driven all of em. Yes I do own a ford. Id even go so far as to say Ive owned more fords than better than half the people on this board. Ive driven more diesels than half the people on this board too. Im approaching 1 million miles road time. The average american drives 15k a year. As I figure it I have 66 years driving experience. 66 years of repairs. 66 years of fillups at the pump, oil changes, brake swaps. Almost all of the miles were on my rigs.

This thread was about the marketing for the 6.0 as the longest lasting diesel. I have done a lot of research into longevity. I have a good grasp on it. To understand which engine lasts the longest. I look at how many made huge miles. Its pretty simple really. I did a search for 1 million mile engines and found one that lasted longer repeatededly. When doing an scientific evaluation the results must be repeatable.

Dodge has said that 96% of the trucks made in the last 20 years are still on the road. Not sure I believe it as its marketing hype but it was said. I dont beleive anything I read and half of what I see.

I see you guys are already working on discrediting me as a hack. Its a knee jerk reaction when you hear something you dont want to believe. I did apologize for all the posts. It was due to inexperience in this forum. Whats the difference the single post wouldve been almost as long. Tough to read through that much.
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
I think some people just have an inferiority complex so they need to come to a Ford enthusiast website and challenge things that are facts.
I do not challenge facts. I state them.

Old 07-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
I agree it must be something wrong with the way they are screwed together

Old 07-31-2004, 07:11 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Well L.H., you just don't hear of PSDs throwing rods. And the pic that gets posted all the time on the internet is doctored. Anyone who has actually seen the rods knows it is doctored, and it's rather obvious by the picture. Bottom line, the Cummins 5.9 is better suited for use in a medium duty truck due to the design of the engine (torque curve) so it can take advantage of the low end torque. The PSD is better suited for use in a light duty truck because it will produce a high amount of torque for a longer period of time. Just because and engine works well in a medium duty application doesn't mean it is the best option in a light duty truck. That's apples and oranges. The transmissions are different and they vehicles are used for different purposes. The PSD tows better than the Cummins in a pickup (as proven repeatedly by real world comparisons) and also is a better choice for daily driving when you're not towing or hauling. I think the millions of customers have spoken, the PSD is a better choice.

Old 07-31-2004, 07:25 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Choctaw Bob
I still don't get what you are saying. We have a Mustang Pro drag car that runs 6.40 1/4 miles at 220. It has a 5 speed liberty transmission that is air shifted from a trigger on the tach becaust the shifts come so fast the normal human can't row it. If what you are saying is correct we would run quicker with a 3 speed which is simply not true. We have run a Powerglide in the past but any automatic robs some horsepower to run the pump. The 5 speed is quicker
I had a 300 six in a 1/2 ton that I drove for 150K miles. My son has it now. It's still a good truck with 230K miles on it(2nd engine). Parts are so cheap for this truck that it is cheaper to rebuild it than replace it.
Ok if you drag. How many rpms does your engine make? Hp is a function of time and distance and rpm has both of those. So the more rpms the more hp, as long as the torque curve is stable. A broad flat torque curve will give you good hp across the band.
So you have two cars who have similar torque curves. Both make 350hp. One makes it at 4500 rpm the other at 6000. It comes down to multiplication as it is torque at the wheels that moves the car. So you have to compute the gears. They have identical gearing. So identical final drive ratios. You are going to travel so many feet before you need to shift. The car with the higher rpm will obviously have to shift later. It travelled more feet in that gear. That gear being first. When you shift you are changing your gear multiplier. Going from about 4 to 1 to 2.7 or so. 4 to one gives you more torque at the wheels. 300lb ft time 4 times 4.11, the rear end, thats 5000lb ft at the wheel. The 2.7 gives you 3300lb ft. 5000 is better. I made up the torque so it has no bearing on the 350hp cars. So the car that makes power at 4500 has a slight torque advantage until 4500. Then it has to shift to a lower multiplier giving up its advantage. Higher rpms at the same power, assuming a solid torque curve, will win the race.
When towing it is advantageous to have a lot of low end torque, called hp because rpm is time and distance. So low rpm hp is what gets the load moving and what keeps it moving when going up hills. Not enough can be said for a solid torque curve. You still need high rpm horsepower to pass and accelerate rapidly. In reality 215hp would tow a 15k 5th wheel ok. But we all know more is better.

Old 07-31-2004, 07:27 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
When you consider the low governed RPM of any diesel in a pickup, 3300 RPM is not that high. The extra few RPM of high torque in the PSD before shifting allows it to gain speed a lot more quickly, with or without load. Plenty of real world tests have confirmed this. We're only talking about a difference of a few hundred RPM, not 1500 RPM.

Old 07-31-2004, 07:54 PM
Marine Ironman
Senior User
Gang,
Just reading up on the pages of posts that occur when you're out for a day or two. I currently own a 1997 Dodge cummins 2500 HD. I currently own a 2004 6.0L PSD Excursion. Both weight about the same. WORLD of difference. The Excursion is ... well .... utterly phenomenal. It's not even close. That PSD accelerates like a BMW on steriods. Steering is tight. Handling is tight.

My Dodge Cummins is purring along, but the transmission is about to go, my power steering had to be completely replaced, and it's just worn out at 100K. I've got it all prettied up for sale. I'll probably never buy a Dodge again. I was simply shopping for an F-150 one day (1997). The F-150's look like a cream-puffer from San Francisco had designed it. Me and my cigar didn't look right in a poofter-looking truck. Dodge had the "new" look and a cummins for the same price as the F-150 (Cummins is a cheaper engine, to go with the cheaper truck, Dodge gets the price point down for sales). It was a nice truck. Like it. No major complaints. Transmission slips every so often while cruising down the road with a loud "THLUNK", but then it grabs again.

The PSD-Excursion, by contrast, is like comparing Star Wars to the Napoleonic Wars.

Once you drive a Ford-PSD ... you'll never go back. I'm sure a lot of the 2002 owners w/ bad Siemens injectors simply wanted it fixed or replaced ... to keep on driving one.

The Ironman

Old 07-31-2004, 07:56 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
With a testimonial like that, the repeated tests that show Cummins in last place after the PSD and Duramax, and the sales numbers I don't know how people can argue the point with a straight face. To make it even worse, the Cummins is in a Dodge! Even if the engine makes it longer than the PSD, the truck won't.

Old 07-31-2004, 08:20 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
If you damaged your engine. Would you not repair it and put it back on the road? An example. A truck is worth 15-35 thousand. You do 2000, or more, dollars damage. Does it go to the junkyard or do you replace the rods.
If I have to spend any money to replace my engine, then I certainly wouldn't buy another one, so care to explain why Ford has the highest loyalty rate of the big three? If I do major internal damage, I certainly wouldn't replace the rods with the same ones that were damaged, I may fix it long enough to trade it in.

Old 07-31-2004, 08:22 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
When you consider the low governed RPM of any diesel in a pickup, 3300 RPM is not that high. The extra few RPM of high torque in the PSD before shifting allows it to gain speed a lot more quickly, with or without load. Plenty of real world tests have confirmed this. We're only talking about a difference of a few hundred RPM, not 1500 RPM.
That must be why they call em high speed diesels.

Old 07-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
Ok if you drag. How many rpms does your engine make? Hp is a function of time and distance and rpm has both of those. So the more rpms the more hp, as long as the torque curve is stable. A broad flat torque curve will give you good hp across the band.
So you have two cars who have similar torque curves. Both make 350hp. One makes it at 4500 rpm the other at 6000. It comes down to multiplication as it is torque at the wheels that moves the car. So you have to compute the gears. They have identical gearing. So identical final drive ratios. You are going to travel so many feet before you need to shift. The car with the higher rpm will obviously have to shift later. It travelled more feet in that gear. That gear being first. When you shift you are changing your gear multiplier. Going from about 4 to 1 to 2.7 or so. 4 to one gives you more torque at the wheels. 300lb ft time 4 times 4.11, the rear end, thats 5000lb ft at the wheel. The 2.7 gives you 3300lb ft. 5000 is better. I made up the torque so it has no bearing on the 350hp cars. So the car that makes power at 4500 has a slight torque advantage until 4500. Then it has to shift to a lower multiplier giving up its advantage. Higher rpms at the same power, assuming a solid torque curve, will win the race.
When towing it is advantageous to have a lot of low end torque, called hp because rpm is time and distance. So low rpm hp is what gets the load moving and what keeps it moving when going up hills. Not enough can be said for a solid torque curve. You still need high rpm horsepower to pass and accelerate rapidly. In reality 215hp would tow a 15k 5th wheel ok. But we all know more is better.
If I had 10 or 15 years I could show you how a 2600 HP turbo pro mod with monster slicks and an adjustable slipper clutch works. There is simply no way to realate this kind of car to what you are talking about.
You are talking like the guys in the country gas station that argue that when a parachutist opens the chute, he goes up. I don't have the time or desire to teach you physics. Good bye

Old 07-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Choctaw Bob
If I had 10 or 15 years I could show you how a 2600 HP turbo pro mod with monster slicks and an adjustable slipper clutch works. There is simply no way to realate this kind of car to what you are talking about.
You are talking like the guys in the country gas station that argue that when a parachutist opens the chute, he goes up. I don't have the time or desire to teach you physics. Good bye
LOL. Am I so far off base? Is my explanation of gearing and final drive rations incorrect? I am not mistaken. High rpm hp is benificial for racing. The honda s2000 or whatever its called is a great example. Its not fast but it races well. It makes crud for torque but it does it for so long that it beats other cars that have to shift out at 5 grand while it wraps out at 10k. I dont need a physics lesson to comprehend gearing. If I am mistaken point me in the right direction. This is all about learning. I love to learn. The reason I am here is to further my understanding. I appreciate any help when I stray off the beaten path.

That parachute thing is funny. I must admit I am not infallible. Although, I am more often right than wrong. I do not have a degree but I am nobodys fool. If you know physics then you understand what the 5252 part of the equation is for? Distance. The minute is time. So all we need is force. Id rather have a truck that made 325hp at 2000 rpm but its hard to get a tranny to hold that much torque.

Old 07-31-2004, 09:22 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
L.H., it's one thing to have theory, it's another to have real world examples. You can cite all the statistics you want but the bottom line is that the PSD finishes ahead of the Cummins in every competition. The Cummins is always bringing up the rear behind the Duramax.

Old 07-31-2004, 09:25 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
With a testimonial like that, the repeated tests that show Cummins in last place after the PSD and Duramax, and the sales numbers I don't know how people can argue the point with a straight face..
The sales numbers are similar for the chevy and dodge hd diesel pickups. One has the advantage one year the other the next. Ford on the other hand has lost a large portion of its market share since the affair began. Now as for the tests putting the dodge last. Not while towing. http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stor...out/page1.html The 305hp version of th dodge beat the chevy in this test and the next test with a load on. If fact it whooped the chevy in the 7%. That powerstroke is very fast. Those 20 extra ponies and 400 rpm make a huge difference. I think its more the rpm than the ponies but I may be mistaken.
Its funny. I dont think I said the cummins was faster. We were talking mostly about longevity I thought.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 07-31-2004 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:30 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
OK, I'll give you that it beat the Chevy, but this isn't the Chevy vs The Competition Forum. It still won't beat the PSD. It is definately the powerband of the PSD compared to the Cummins. That's what I've been saying all along.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: power stroke most durable diesel engine?