Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door ajar light stays lit

Old 05-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Bill4Kath
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Door ajar light stays lit

I've got a '02 X and when all of the doors are closed the door ajar light stays on, along with all of the overhead lights and running board lights. When you try to lock the door, it unlock about 2 seconds later. Anyone have this problem? Maybe the door strikers needs adjusting. Not sure.

Thanks.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Landyot
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Do a search here on this website for "ajar." This subject has been touched upon many, many times. I'm sure you'll find some words of wisdom in the posts you seek.

Old 05-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Bill4Kath
Junior User
I found out that WD-40 will take care of the sticking switch in the door latch. Thanks for the post.

Old 05-25-2004, 05:52 PM
firstford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found that electrode cleaner works really well, too, and won't attract dirt or dust.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Those things seem to work for a while. The real solution is to replace the switch.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:09 PM
navstar
New User
I sprayed mine with WD-40 and its working fine for the last 10,000 miles.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Bill4Kath
Junior User
I used both the Electrode cleaner and WD-40. Obsessed muuchhh!

Old 06-03-2004, 01:34 PM
3greenfordsagain
Junior User
door ajar switch replacement

What's envolved in replacing the switch. Is it possible to just snip the wire so the door ajar switch is cut out of the mechanism?

Old 07-14-2004, 08:40 AM
markathi
New User
I have a 2000, XLT, 2x2, V-10. My door ajar light also stays on when the door are shut. The dome lights and running board lights also stay on. I have had all door lock switches replaced because mine too were sticking or slow to open. Every time I make an appointment to take it in the light is out.

Last edited by markathi; 07-14-2004 at 08:43 AM. Reason: to add more
Old 07-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Landyot
Tuned
I did the WD40 thing a year ago ... it works ... for awhile. Then I replaced all six door-ajar switches. Problem still surfaces occasionally (I think I was sold some of the older style switches ... mixed assortment of packaging among all six). I'm fed up with it, and am currently wiring in a bank of four toggle switches where I can disable the offending "door" whenever the light starts coming on again. The wiring is fairly simple once you've identified the correct wires on specific connection plugs attached to the G.E.M. on the backside of the fuse box (all the wiring I'll install will be accomplished under the dash). There are only four wires I'll need to splice into; LF door, RF door, rear doors, and lift gate.

If you attempt to pull the fuse when this problem occurs, be prepared for some other annoyances ... such as no electric windows, and cannot shift out of park.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:01 AM
heatmon
Senior User
Question Door Ajar Lights

Landyot,

Aren't the Rear Door Ajar Switches the same as the Fronts? One Switch for each Door to make the total of switches\wires at least 5 (adding 1 for the Rear Hatch). Is it possible that there are additional switch(s) for Rear Hatch Doors & Glass (upper half)? I've looked at the wiring diagrams of that part of the truck only briefly- I'll have to go back & look again.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:06 PM
Landyot
Tuned
(deleted) ....

Last edited by LANDYOT; 07-20-2004 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Landyot
Tuned
Heatmon - Yes, the rear door "switches" inside the doors are the same as the fronts, but they're connected as a pair by a single wire to the GEM. The front doors are connected to the GEM by two individual wires. The TWO switches on the rear liftgate (or "upper half" ... the lower barn doors have no switches) are connected by a single wire. So, there are a total of six door-ajar switches, but only four wiring connections at the GEM. I disconnected the battery, pulled out the fuse panel a short way, and then the C240a, C240b, and C240c connectors are easily accessible. I installed an array of four toggle switches (up under the dashboard, out of sight) so I can disconnect the offending door-ajar switch if .... no, make that WHEN it acts up again. In addition, I'll be able to isolate the problem to at least one pair of switches. Regardless, being able to disarm that annoyance will be the big relief. BTW, all connections were soldered, then insulated with heat-shrink tubing. I also included trailer-style disconnects in the event I ever need to disassemble that arrangement.

Does anyone understand why the above post won't let the word "battery" be included ... "I disconnected the battery, pulled ..." ???

Old 07-20-2004, 10:20 PM
heatmon
Senior User
Question Door Ajar Lights

Landyot,

Gotcha. I mis-stated in my post that I didn't experience the problem with the door ajar warning lights again. It did happen once a few weeks ago- I got so mad that I went around the truck slamming all the doors shut. The light went off, but I guess I'll see it happen again some time. At that time I would do as you have, because I have no idea which door caused the problem. I suspect the tailgate door(s), but without a logical way to troubleshoot, it's anybody's guess. I wonder if this would show up in the computer error codes? Does anyone know whether the "Door Ajar Warning Light" produces a readable code in the OBD II computer? In the generic OBD II system or do you need a Ford specific reader to pull a code from a chassis electrical error? Would it show on a "Predator" or similar performance mod computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:24 AM
TomRowe
New User
Door ajar light on '02X

Just bought a 02 X limited 7.3L and the night wife took it home she noticed door ajar light and running board, interior lights say on for about 15 minutes after locking or closing doors. Will let you know what fixes the problem.

Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door ajar light stays lit