1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Sirius Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 11:11 AM
expyfan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius Satellite Radio

Can anyone help or offer there opinion/suggestions. I am having Sirius Satellite Radio installed in my 04 Expy this week. The Audiophile head (factory radio) unit is Sat ready. From what I am hearing, this type of install is somewhat new to the industry, or at least in my parts (MN) for a non-DVD vehicle. A couple questions:

1) has anybody else had this installed - owners with no DVD player
2) if so, was it a factory/dealership install? If so, where is a good placement of the satellite tuner? Were there exposed antenna wires...GM vehicles it looks like they were able to drill through the roof as I have not seen any with the antenna wire exposed.

Quick feedback is appreciated.

Old 05-25-2004, 06:08 AM
ExpyBob
Senior User
I had that installed in my 04 Expy as well (with DVD). Ford (Visteon) has a kit with detailed instructions for the installation of it. There are two kits, with and without DVD, they just use a slightly different harness.

The antenna sits above the rear hatch on the center of the roof and the wire routes under the weather stripping to the left rear plastic covering inside the truck that goes over the wheel well. That is where the tuner goes. The harness from that travels down the left side of the vehicle under the door kick plate through the dash into the radio or head unit.

No drilling through the body panels, no need to.

It was the best thing I ever did. I NEVER listen to regular radio (FM, AM) anymore.

My favorite "stream" is 71 "Jazz Cafe".

Sirius has a deal where if you buy a years subsription you get 1 month free and if you install the radio in a new satellite ready Ford vehicle you get another month free. You'll get 14 months for the price of 12, that's the way they will bill it.

Mine cost $400 for the entire set-up including install. The installation requires the removal of most of the interior paneling on the left side and the hatch on the floor of the cargo area. It looks scary happening to a new truck. My better half almost died when she seen it all taken apart. Even the shoulder belts on the left side came down.

http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=4047452

http://www.evisteon.com/prod_serv/mo...io/index.shtml

http://support.evisteon.com/uploads/...ars_manual.pdf

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1018209032790

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/index.php

The websites above should give you all the info you need.

I went to the guy that does my dealers installations (the salesman gave me his name) and got it done a little cheaper by cutting out the dealer (middleman).

You can see the kit they'll use in the first website listed.

By looking at the truck you can't tell it's in there. The antenna is on the roof and pretty un-noticeable. Even a thief would have a hard time getting it out.

Hope this helps---Bob

Last edited by ExpyBob; 05-25-2004 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:09 AM
expyfan
Freshman User
ExpyBob - you rock!!!! Thank you very much for the info. I am at ease now since there is no drilling. I did install Sirius on my boat and love it, however, I am not in it all the time. Had to convinence the Ms about the vehicle install. Once she is exposed to it, I know she will love it.

Buzzsaw and Hair Nation have been what I have caught myself listening to - streaming on the internet for free since I have the boat subscription - brings back old memories.

Thanks Again

'04 Expy, Ox White, 5.4 4x4

Old 05-25-2004, 07:20 AM
ExpyBob
Senior User
ExpyFan

I see you're from Minnesota. I'm traveling there later today for my job. Just staying 2 nights in Minneapolis. I go there often.

Looks like it's cool out there today with no severe weather in the near future.

Glad I could help---Bob

Old 05-26-2004, 09:09 AM
ExpyBob
Senior User
Hey Expyfan

How did you make out??

Just wondering what you think of it.

Bob

Old 05-26-2004, 09:35 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
ExpyBob, did you have the headunit with SAT capability already, then added on the Sirius tuner and antenna for $400? I have the SAT ready headunit in my 04 Mustang and I want to use it.

Are there other options on the antenna? That computer mouse looking thing will look so ugly on my white Mustang.

Old 05-26-2004, 12:00 PM
expyfan
Freshman User
ExpyBob - Dealer is stopping by and picking up my vehicle today. They said it should be only a couple hour job and may have it yet today for my ride home from work. I will let you know once I get it back.

Propellerhead - from what I have seen, there are "whip" antennas but I believe they are more for marine applications. Check out the links that ExpyBob provided earlier in this thread and I believe one of them shows the different antennas that can be purchased.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:58 PM
daveplot
Elder User
Originally Posted by propellerhead
Are there other options on the antenna? That computer mouse looking thing will look so ugly on my white Mustang.
Kenwood has a small Sirius antenna

Sirius should have smaller antennas in the future, XM right now has the smallest antenna at 1.25" W x 1.375" D x 0.5" H

Old 05-26-2004, 04:34 PM
ke4utt
New User
XM doesnt have the cheezy 'DJ Talk' Like Sirius seems to have. I love my XM Commander.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:36 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
A few more questions in a new thread in the Audio section... here.

Old 05-27-2004, 12:00 PM
expyfan
Freshman User
ExpyBob - got my sirius installed and truck is back. SWEET. Sound is wonderful however, I am a bit taken aback with the bass sirius is transmitting. I like bass as much as the the next guy but it is to a point where I can not listen at higher volumns as it is more of a "rumble" than sound. Any suggestion? I have turned the bass level down but then you are taking it away from the other speakers as well.

Old 05-27-2004, 02:21 PM
seismojones
Junior User
Originally Posted by expyfan
I am a bit taken aback with the bass sirius is transmitting. I like bass as much as the the next guy but it is to a point where I can not listen at higher volumns as it is more of a "rumble" than sound. Any suggestion? I have turned the bass level down but then you are taking it away from the other speakers as well.
I'm glad it's not just me. I thought maybe it was the Audiovox unit I bought. I had to turn my bass down to about half way.

Old 05-27-2004, 03:25 PM
daveplot
Elder User
The bass problem isn't supprising since Sirius is lowering bandwidth available for each station to provide video content.

Old 05-27-2004, 07:28 PM
ExpyBob
Senior User
I don't have a problem with too much bass. I wish there was a hair more.

The SIR 3 antenna originally installed met my garage door (physically) so now I have an SIR 5 antenna.

SIR 3 has two cables, SIR 5 has one and needs the splitter.

Performance seems to be equal.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:37 PM
kingclan
New User
I've heard rumors that you can't play a DVD and listen to Sirius at the same time on the head unit. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite Radio