Aerostar Ford Aerostar

89 Aerostar dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 09:07 AM
Bill M
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 89 Aerostar dies

my 89 aerostar starts and runs fine after sitting over night.after driving 1or 2 miles it starts running rough and trying to stall. when I let off the pedal it stalls and will not start until it sets for a few hours. It turns over but it won't start. Does it sound like a sensor or what. Someone please help. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:04 PM
leegarcia84
New User
could it be?

I dont know much about engines and stuff, but my star had a similar problem like that a while back. Turned out being the air box where the air filter is. Well I replaced the filter and didn't know it didnt close right, and for some reason it would die after about 2 or 3 minutes of running at idle or as soon as i would get past about 10mph. So I took off the air intake hose and ran it straight like that with nothing, and it ran fine. Didn't die, or have a lack of power. So I put everything back and made sure everything was snug and sealed. Works very good since then. Check it out and let me know if that was it?

Old 05-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Bill M
New User
leegarcia84, I took the cover off of the air box and replaced it to make sure it was sealed. no difference, but this morning it did not start usually it starts right up after sitting all night, but this morning it just turned over. after the second try I noticed I didn't hear the fuel pump running. I was just turning the key from off to on about five times finally I heard the pump kick on so I tried it again and it started. It still idled rough though and was trying to stall. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 05-25-2004, 12:20 PM
leegarcia84
New User
fuel filter, fuel pump relay, fuel pump? maybe somthing with spark.. who knows.. just some suggestions

Old 05-25-2004, 01:57 PM
teg3
Junior User
I have almost the same problem..Maybe vacume line leak ?

Old 05-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Bill M
New User
I think the injectors are staying on. After setting for a while it will start like the gas starts evaporating. When it starts though it puffs some black smoke out of the tailpipe, and runs rough for a couple of seconds. Then it smooths out and runs ok for about five minutes then it starts idleing rough again. Then the check engine light comes on and it stalls.If you try to start it before it sets long enough as soon as it starts turning over you can smell gas real strong.What would do that? any ideas? THANKS

Old 05-28-2004, 01:53 AM
leegarcia84
New User
your ride is fukd.. lol sorry bro.. i'm drunk forgive me

Old 05-28-2004, 06:12 AM
jkorreck
Senior User
My suggestion is to check to make sure there is spark right after the engine dies. I've heard that ford had a problem with the ignition module some years overheating and making the engine die. Maybe someone who's had that problem can shed some light on it. After that I'd say to maybe check your fuel pressure, maybe the pressure regulator is bad. Not sure on any of this for sure, just think that those are a couple basics to rule out.

Old 05-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Bill M
New User
I had good spark everywhere yesterday when I was working on it. At the coil, the distributor end of the coil wire, and at the front driver side plug wire. I took the ignition module off and took it to the shop.They tested it and said it was ok. I don't think they tested it hot though. The only codes it is showing is ECT -40F 51' and range 21. So I just don't know. Does anyone know if the fuel pump relay could cause these problems? Thanks for your input.

Old 05-28-2004, 08:14 PM
jkorreck
Senior User
This is just a guess, but maybe the problem is in the ECT sensor, know someone who had a 93 Pontiac Lemans, the shop he had some work done at left the ECT unplugged and to drive the car you had to keep it reving or it'd die, he took it to another shop they plugged it back in and it ran much better (still not good but then again look at the make and model) I don't know why this would be but it definately has something to do with how the vehicle runs.

Old 05-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Bill M
New User
I found the problem today.It was the ECT sensor. That thing drove me nuts for a week. It ended up being the easiest thing to change, and probably the cheapest. Not usually my luck. Hey guys thanks for your input and help.