1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 Radiator installed..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 01:52 AM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
56 Radiator installed..

I finally put a new unit in my 56 (with a 302) it was for a mid 70's f-100, the brand was MODINE part# 395. Excellent fit, had to drill two holes in the mounting bracket on both the unit and the truck, but thats the only modification at all. $174.00 American made, lifetime warenty.

Old 05-24-2004, 04:40 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Packrat,

Glad you found one that worked out well...don't you just love it when a plan comes to fruition?

How about a few more details on that radiator? Where are the outlets located top and bottom? What diameter hose fits top and bottom? Do you know the capacity? How thick is the core? What engine was is originally designed for? How tall and how wide is it including the brackets? I'm still on the fence as to what radiator to use on my 48 F-3 and I'm wondering if this same radiator will fit my 48 as well as it did your 56...

Vern

Old 05-31-2004, 01:08 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that radiator the same as your original as far as height, width? And how many rows is the radiator. I've been looking for a radiator for my 56 but they want over $400.

Old 05-31-2004, 01:38 AM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
The width is almost exact, slid right in. It is shorter than the stock, but since that tall tank in the stock unit just gets leaned on all the time when we are working on the engine, I fugure its better that way. I will have a look tomorrow at the rows, I dont remember. I got this one for $145 at a local radiator shop, I went to a smaller place that appreciated the business and I asked for "the best deal he could give me" I think he enjoyed the good old truck!

Old 05-31-2004, 04:34 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by packrat56
The width is almost exact, slid right in. It is shorter than the stock, but since that tall tank in the stock unit just gets leaned on all the time when we are working on the engine, I fugure its better that way. I will have a look tomorrow at the rows, I dont remember. I got this one for $145 at a local radiator shop, I went to a smaller place that appreciated the business and I asked for "the best deal he could give me" I think he enjoyed the good old truck!
Packrat,

While you are checking the number of rows, how about the other questions I asked regarding outlet location, hose size, width, and capacity, and year of application? I need a radiator for my 48 and maybe this is the one for me too. Would appreciate the help...

Vern

Old 05-31-2004, 01:38 PM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Radiator: Brand: Modine model #395 List $174.00, I talked him down to $145.00

Top hose is on the passenger side
Bottom hose is on the drivers side
My hoses slid right on, I think the stock 56 were 1 1/2? I think the #395 is 1 3/4

measures 24" side to side (core, not mounting bracket) bolt hole to bolt hole is about 25 1/2. Top to bottom including tanks is about 24".

This unit sits closer to the fan than the stock unit, I guess thats better, not worse?

I have no idea how to count "rows" help me out and Im happy to count them!

The mounting brackets on the #395 mated up with the stock 56 F-100, I did have to drill two holes on each side, through both the new unit and the stock mount, but I figure if I ever need another it will be the same unit! I have a 302, and I have not had it over the summer yet, but the guy in the rad. shop said it sould cool it fine, guess we will see. I can report back if you want.

Old 05-31-2004, 04:22 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info. To count the rows, you can stick you finger in the radiator and feel the rows or if the water level is low, you can count the rows. Usually two, three or four rows.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:34 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Packrat,

Thanks for the info. It won't work in my F-3 because I need the top hose in the center or passenger side and the bottom on the passenger side. The height and width is good though. Sounds like you got a good price on it. A two row Mustang cooled my 289 great, so unless you run A/C or live in a desert climate you should not need more than two rows...

Vern

Old 06-04-2004, 10:44 AM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
This Modine unit is a 2 row, sorry for the delay in counting, things have been crazy busy here!