2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rented an 04 Supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 09:45 PM
borderman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rented an 04 Supercrew

The wife and I took a trip to Big Bend National Park in west Texas last week and we decided to rent an 04 to give it a good run and see how it performs. I plan to buy one next year and I figured it would be a good idea. Any way, after three days and over 1300 miles of driving I have mixed feelings about this truck. First the good. We picked up our charcoal grey supercrew with the 4.6 and we were immediately pleased with the smooth and quiet manners of this truck. The steering was great. This truck tracked straight as an arrow and never wandered. Great brakes. Fit and finish was quite good with no squeaks or rattles of any kind or vibrations. Visibility forward is excellent, it felt like a 4x4 in terms of height. As big and heavy as this truck was, the 4.6 handled it well. Off the line it is sluggish, but once we got up to speed and put the cruise at 70, this truck cruised and passed with ease. West Texas is hilly terrain. Only on the steepest hills did the tranny kick down, and when it did, response was immideate to compensate. All in all I have a bit of new respect for the 4.6. Mileage was 19.2 mpg with the first full tank at a steady 70 mph. Now for the bad. The interior of this truck looked and felt cheap just about everywhere. The quality of the materials in my opinion was a notch below my well worn and reliable 97 F150 with 159k. This one had the Flint interior and I must say Ford needs to improve the look and feel of it. I'm seriously considering getting a Lariat instead. My wife was equally put off by the look of it. The exterior of this truck is cool and it really turns heads, I wouldn't mess with it. Hopefully for 05 these trucks will get some more tweaks and improvements.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:52 PM
blueck
Junior User
What about the interior looked cheap? Just curious as I posted something earlier on comparison to the Titan and I felt the Titan had these problems but this is the first I had heard anyone say it about the Ford? Mine is a Lariat and I am very pleased with the interior finish - was the one you drove a XLT, FX4?

Old 05-24-2004, 01:34 AM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was the 4.6 so im guessing xlt or lower. i think the interior of the fx4 is better than the lariat, something about that fake wood dosen't appeal to me.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:44 AM
blueck
Junior User
With ya on the fake wood, would prefer something else but doesn't bother me that much - few other posts about that. Nothing a nice kit can't replace. But the lariat dash and message center is the nicest I have seen on any truck - and like the FX4 interior but wanted the message center and climate control. Heard a lot of people very happy with the FX4 interior however. I

Old 05-24-2004, 09:11 AM
borderman
Senior User
Originally Posted by blueck
What about the interior looked cheap? Just curious as I posted something earlier on comparison to the Titan and I felt the Titan had these problems but this is the first I had heard anyone say it about the Ford? Mine is a Lariat and I am very pleased with the interior finish - was the one you drove a XLT, FX4?
An XLT. To me the plastic on the dash felt weak and hollow. Especially over the instrument panel, which I did not like either. It feels hollow when you knock on it with your knuckles. The interior of my 97 just feels more solid. I also found the gauges of my 97 more attractive and easier to read than the 04s. I haven't tested a Titan yet so I can't make a comparison. I also prefer the previous generation radio.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:25 AM
thosetwins
Junior User
get a lariat

Then get the Lariat much more refined then the others.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:51 AM
blueck
Junior User
Take a look at the FX4

Didn't look at the FX4's myself but have heard nothing but good things about the interior of these - might be an option if you don't want to go all out with the Lariat but want a nicer interior. Be curious to hear your thoughts on the FX4 after comparing the two.

Also, if you want to convince yourself it is high quality, just don't knock on the dash with your nuckles... just kidding.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:03 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not crazy about the new radio, either. The ergonomics of it suck. But you seemed to love everything about the truck except the XLT trim. So this is an easy one: get an FX4 or a Lariat. I myself prefer the velour from the old series (97-03) truck vs the flat stuff they're using now. Hey, my generation equates velour and "Corinthian leather" with luxury and quality!

Old 05-24-2004, 12:02 PM
cowchip13
Freshman User
Bite the Bullet and go ahead and get a loaded out Lariat...you'll never look back...enjoy

Old 05-24-2004, 01:34 PM
ieee_raider
Senior User
Getting a lariat or fx4 won't upgrade the dash, will it?
I mean, it's still going to sound hollow.
I've noticed that on mine, too.
I don't really mind it, I figure they changed the material to go with something more durable than the foam-filled stuff that tends to crack after years of use in the heat down here in TX.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:56 PM
fatman66
Senior User
I agree with the gauges in the XLT, they seem too small to me, it's not major, just seems like there is enough room that they could be a lot larger. My guess is that it is part of the XLT getting bumped down the model line by the introduction of the FX4. Radios are easy to replace with aftermarket ones, I've got my eye on one that plays MP3 cds but I need to build the bank account back up again first.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:34 PM
fanman2
Senior User
Originally Posted by borderman
An XLT. To me the plastic on the dash felt weak and hollow. Especially over the instrument panel, which I did not like either. It feels hollow when you knock on it with your knuckles. The interior of my 97 just feels more solid. I also found the gauges of my 97 more attractive and easier to read than the 04s. I haven't tested a Titan yet so I can't make a comparison. I also prefer the previous generation radio.
Borderman.....

If this is true....and if it bothers you.....then I would suggest that you DON'T knock on it with your knuckles....

I have an '04 F-150 Screw Lariat 4 x 2....and it is one of, if not the quietest and most squeak-free and rattle-free vehicle I have EVER owned....including vehicles from Honda, Acura, BMW, and Audi....just to mention a few....

Fred

Old 05-24-2004, 04:23 PM
ieee_raider
Senior User
Yeah, my fiancee's mother has an '04 Honda Accord. It is only a few months old and is already squeaking, You feel every tiny bump in the road and everything makes noise... it's really annoying to ride in it after my truck.
My fiancee's pontiac is the same way.

I love this truck!!!

Old 05-24-2004, 04:42 PM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
I think the wood trim in my Lariat gives it a little "class"...not unlike a Lexus. I wouldn't have an FX4 because you can't get the Lariat white gauge cluster and the bigger message center. That thing rocks!!

Old 05-24-2004, 04:59 PM
froste
Senior User
sounds to me like u guys are to picky. I don't mean to cause a stink, but i own an STX and i am more than happy with it. No sqweaks or anything. It has the grey on flint interier. You can always replace what u don't like and probably for a lot less than whats tack on to the final sale price for the goodies. I agree with the sterio issue, it isn't the best. I plan on replacing it in the future and adding some more things. I garantee you i will not spend the $6000 that was priced for the truck setting next to mine that was fully loaded.