Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Intermittent starting issues.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Phantez
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent starting issues.

About every 3rd time I go to start my truck this last couple days, it wont start. I can hear the relay click under the dash, but it doesn't even try to crank. It does nothing. This is the 4th time it's done it.
I ended up getting stranded once today. I removed the plug for the neutral safety switch and cleaned it, and plugged it back in. That seemed to work last time but no luck. We tried to short the starter to get it to crank with no luck so we assumed the starter was bad.
I put a new one in and it worked. I shut off the truck 2 more times since then and it started no issue, but now it's stuck at the grocery store not starting again.
I'm guessing I could probably go back in a couple hours and it'll work again since nothing i've done has fixed it, but it ends up starting again. Any ideas what it could be?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The '99 has a starter relay on the passenger fender. If this has burnt contacts, you'll get a click without a crank.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Phantez
Junior User
mine is an 01

Old 06-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Phantez
Junior User
Well, I just went down there this morning to see if I had any luck and it still wont start. I wonder if the new starter is bad too or something

Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Phantez
Junior User
Update. I removed the new starter I installed the other day and brought it to O'Reillys to have it tested. It worked fine. I reinstalled it on my truck and the truck fired up.
I'm really confused why this is so inconsistent. I don't want to drive the truck anywhere now in fear of getting stranded for a 3rd time.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:50 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phantez
Update. I removed the new starter I installed the other day and brought it to O'Reillys to have it tested. It worked fine. I reinstalled it on my truck and the truck fired up.
I'm really confused why this is so inconsistent. I don't want to drive the truck anywhere now in fear of getting stranded for a 3rd time.
I would suggest you check the following:

1. Solenoid
2. Ground and Positive Connections - Batteries, Solenoid, Starter.
3. Shift Rail Assy - This can prevent the vehicle from starting if it is loose or out of adjustment.

When this occurred, did you try starting the vehicle in Neutral?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Phantez
Junior User
Originally Posted by whitetmw
I would suggest you check the following:

1. Solenoid
2. Ground and Positive Connections - Batteries, Solenoid, Starter.
3. Shift Rail Assy - This can prevent the vehicle from starting if it is loose or out of adjustment.

When this occurred, did you try starting the vehicle in Neutral?
Yes, I tried it in neutral as well. I shifted back and forth several times. I was thinking it could be related to it thinking it's not in neutral because my shift indicator is a little goofy. It's shifted over to the right one spot (When i'm in drive, the indicator is over 2, etc). It's been like this for a while though and never caused an issue. It just confuses anyone who borrows my truck haha.

Edit: I just had a thought. After i've replaced the starter, it's worked every time. Apparently the starter has been good. The only other thing i've done in that process was disconnect the batteries when I changed it. Next time it happens, I'm going to try disconnecting the batteries, reconnecting and see if it'll start. I have no idea why this would make sense, but it's the only other thing I've done when it started again. I suppose it might reset a switch somewhere or something.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Atc210
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same issue with my Excursion, went through 3 Autozone starters before I got a good one. If I was to due it all over again would look at a OEM starter. I don't plan on getting rid if my rig so thought the lifetime parts would be money well spent, am finding that to not be the case. The 2 starters I had before I got a good one all bench tested good also. Except for the one that burned up. I would suggest trying to exchange the starter again.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:50 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I tried it in neutral as well. I shifted back and forth several times. I was thinking it could be related to it thinking it's not in neutral because my shift indicator is a little goofy. It's shifted over to the right one spot (When i'm in drive, the indicator is over 2, etc). It's been like this for a while though and never caused an issue. It just confuses anyone who borrows my truck haha.

Edit: I just had a thought. After i've replaced the starter, it's worked every time. Apparently the starter has been good. The only other thing i've done in that process was disconnect the batteries when I changed it. Next time it happens, I'm going to try disconnecting the batteries, reconnecting and see if it'll start. I have no idea why this would make sense, but it's the only other thing I've done when it started again. I suppose it might reset a switch somewhere or something.
Before you remove and replace the cables next time.

1. Check for 12VDC on Both Lugs of the Solenoid while someone turns the key. This will either identify or eliminate the Solenoid and ignition circuit in general.

2. If you have 12 VDC on Both Lugs and it doesn't start, use one Jumper Cable and connect it from the (-) to the BODY of the Starter. This will identify or eliminate a Grounding Issue with the Starter. If this corrects the issue, look for Strap Grounds which have become corroded and or loose and missing

3. If both of the above are Negative, measure the voltage at the Starter (+) Post using the Jumper Cable (-) for ground. This will eliminate the Circuit and you know it's the Starter.

Hopefully you'll identify the issue in the circuit. Electrical problems take time to solve but are reasonably easy to repair. visa-versa for Mechanical issues in general.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:50 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
...I can hear the relay click under the dash, but it doesn't even try to crank....
When I lost my connection to the transmission (no neutral indication), there was no click anywhere. I don't suspect that connector.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Phantez
Junior User
Update. The truck stopped starting again. Tried pulling batteries like I said and no difference. I check for 12v on the solenoid and the one side isn't getting voltage. I pulled the starter off and brought it to oreillys again and it tested good. I don't think the solenoid is the issue, I don't think it's getting signal to start.

I used a multimeter to ensure that the connection on the neutral safety switch is closed, and it is. Also verified by putting a new one on (Just plugged it in and let it dangle while it was set to neutral) and that didn't work either.

Tugly, you said something about a starter relay on the passenger fender. Is this it?

Old 06-14-2014, 12:49 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Not Tugly but I know the answer to your question.

That is it....Its cheap and changing it will most likely cure your issue. The small wire will get key power when the key is turned to start. One large wire will always have power and the other large wire will get power when the small wire energizes the solenoid.

2001 was the last year for that solenoid

Old 06-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
That's the one - mine disintegrated a couple of years back. A screwdriver across the big posts will let you hear your starter.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Phantez
Junior User
Result in case someone else ends up needing it.

The starter tested fine at O'Reillys again, so I picked up the new relay. I put the starter back on and hooked up the batteries to try it. It wouldn't start. I just wanted to try this first in case it was randomly working again to help verify the result.

I installed the new relay and it fired right up. It's been a few days and I haven't had an issue since. Thanks for the help!