Propane, which kit and why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Trail Rider II
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane, which kit and why?

Since I dont have a clew (old sailing term) about propane kits and will not build my own because of DOT regs. Which kits have you guys and gals tried.

Pros and Cons? Where to buy? Installation instructions plain and clear?

Thanks

Old 05-22-2004, 03:45 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
There are a handfull of different systems on the market, and no two are exactly alike. After doing all the homework, I decided on the Powershot2000 system for it's simplicity and safety. It's a vapor draw system, as opposed to a liquid draw system. On a liquid draw system, the propane is converted from liquid to vapor form before being injected. This requires extra components not necessary with the Powershot. In use, the Powershot is a variable flow design, where the amount of propane injected is proportional to the amount of boost the engine is producing. Other systems are "stepped" systems, where you'd get a measured amount of flow at a preset boost setting, for example 5psi, then another measured amount at another preset boost setting, for example 10psi. You wouldn't get any additional propane flow at 6, 7, 8, or 9psi. With the Powershot, you'd get a gradual increase in propane flow, proportional to the boost.
I found the installation instructions to be clear and easy to follow. Though I plan on keeping my truck forever, if I were to replace the truck, it would definitely be another diesel, and I'd install propane immediately.
I hope this answers your questions.

Old 05-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Trail Rider II
Senior User
After using google to try to find Powershot 2000 I draw a blank. Who sells this system?
Thanks

Old 05-22-2004, 11:22 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.dieselperformanceproducts.com
www.dieselsite.com

Last edited by wlihntr; 05-22-2004 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-22-2004, 11:39 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Is propane injection anything like nitrous for a gasser? I know nitrous can be hard on the engine and is only used in extreme situations for extreme horsepower, not just cruising around town or down the highway. From what I understand, propane is just a way to improve horsepower, and can be ran all the time, city and highway... is that correct??

Old 05-22-2004, 02:17 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Yes, propane can be run all the time. It helps to burn all the unused diesel that normally passes as exhaust. That's why you have such a gain in HP. The propane itself adds power, but so does all the extra diesel fuel that is being used.

Old 05-22-2004, 05:39 PM
FarmerPhilCo
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmb0y
Is propane injection anything like nitrous for a gasser? I know nitrous can be hard on the engine and is only used in extreme situations for extreme horsepower, not just cruising around town or down the highway. From what I understand, propane is just a way to improve horsepower, and can be ran all the time, city and highway... is that correct??

nitrous can be used in diesels and it actually helps the engine run coolerunder a load (and by cooler I mean closer to the factory temps and not higher)

Old 05-22-2004, 05:41 PM
FarmerPhilCo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Trail Rider II
Since I dont have a clew (old sailing term) about propane kits and will not build my own because of DOT regs. Which kits have you guys and gals tried.

Pros and Cons? Where to buy? Installation instructions plain and clear?

Thanks
make your own kit, email me and I can teach you how to make one for $120-150

Old 05-22-2004, 06:49 PM
WeWeld
Senior User
I've had my old PS 2000 system for 5 years and over 160 K miles and it works great and helps with mileage also. Easy to install.

GENE

Old 05-22-2004, 07:59 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Farmboy
Nitrous oxide is not a fuel, it's an oxidizer. When burned in the combustion chamber, the NO2 breaks down into one nitrogen molecule and two oxygen molecules. The nitrogen is inert and some say that it helps keep combustion temperatures down. The oxygen burns very readily and by itself it will easily melt pistons because the fuel mixture will be too lean. That's why all nitrous sytems have a provision to add additional fuel when you add NO2, to keep the fuel/air mixture correct. On a gasser I always recommend a fuel pressure switch that will shut off the NO2 if you lose fuel pressure for any reason.
On a diesel propane system you are not adding an oxidizer, you are adding a fuel. Because you are not causing an increase in the total air/fuel mixture that goes into the cylinder you do not get the sudden increase in combustion pressures. I am new to diesels but I believe that adding propane only helps to make a more efficient burn of the diesel fuel that's already there anyway. Banks engineering does not endorse propane injection because they basically say it's better to add more airflow and THEN you can add more fuel. However I don't know of anyone who has added propane injection on a diesel that does not like it.

Old 05-22-2004, 09:30 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
My local Performance Diesel shop tells me they have seen many engines destroyed by propane. I suspect they are talking about liquid phase systems as opposed to vapor phase like Powershot 200o. Besides, thats the same shop that advised me to put my EGT probe post turbo so what do they know.

Old 05-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
My local Performance Diesel shop tells me they have seen many engines destroyed by propane. I suspect they are talking about liquid phase systems as opposed to vapor phase like Powershot 200o. Besides, thats the same shop that advised me to put my EGT probe post turbo so what do they know.
Propane doesn't destroy engines, people destroy engines.

If you want to install propane, but are leary of the potential damage to your engine, contact me, and I'll be glad to walk you through the calibration process.

Old 05-23-2004, 11:35 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
Propane

id get the powershot2000

i have it in my 97f250 and a 97gmc box van with the 6.5 turbo diesel

wow, what a difference
oil stays cleaner, fuel milage went up on my van, went down on the truck but thats cause i cant keep me foot out of it. vapor draw is the way to go cause if the liquid to vapor converter fails then it will dump a ton of liquid it your motor and has the potential to hydralic lock, like your drowned your truck. ive had the kit on my gmc van since 30k mi and its got 120k on it now

Old 05-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Thomas T
New User
PLEASE HELP WITH PARTS LIST AND HOW TO FOR PROPANE. I WISH TO IMPROVE MILEAGE. THANK YOU toncat1010@sbcglobal.net

Old 05-26-2004, 04:05 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
After reading what Quadzilla and others have said when I eventually add propane to my truck I plan on getting the Powershot 2000. Propane is one thing, IMO, that is simply not worth doing yourself. There is too much room for failure and damage unless you really understand propane injection.

As Quadzilla said:
Propane doesn't destroy engines, people destroy engines.
I would imagine that this applies to a lot of do-it-yourself systems that are installed without understanding the possible problems with propane injection design.

Quick Reply: Propane, which kit and why?