1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E150 jumping speedometer, stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Pappashine
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a picture of the yellow diode.

I found mine to be loose, we resolderded it carefully and slowly and I am sad to say this didnt fix my issues

Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Jesse4
Trailering
I am sorry. Maybe look for similar loose solder joints on other parts of boards.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Pappashine
New User
OK Yall I am now really stumped. I thought I had gotten lucky and found an entire cluster with only 1500 miles difference. I got it in today and ran out to get this swapped. I rolled up the road and at 45 yeah not much fluctuation. Got on the interstate and here we go again
I cannot imagine this junkyard cluster to have this issue but my luck makes me think it is possible. Should I keep buying clusters????

1) changed VSS
2) RESOLDERED YELLOW DIODE
3) PUT IN JUNKYARD CLUSTER

4) PLEASE HELP............

Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 PM
mdgaf
New User
my trucks gauges were going crazy when I had a bad ground coming off the negative battery cable.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Maybe you have bad rear end bearings.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:46 PM
Thunderpunch
New User
No speedo or odometer on E350

I have a E350 motorhome with symptoms of what I am finding in this feed. All gauges on dash work just no speedo or odometer. On occasion my abs light comes on. And hard shifting every time I drive it since I lose overdrive. The dealership said there is power from VSS in rear end. And through the abs module but can't trace power from module to dash. They took just the speedometer unit out and tested and it worked on their test unit supposedly. Could it be the cicuit board bad? And is this difficult to replace? And since it's so old assuming I can't get a new one? Thanks for any help

Old 03-26-2016, 05:01 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
When you say no odometer do you mean it is blank?
What year E350 is it?

Old 02-16-2021, 11:41 PM
Boots & Slicks 14
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jesse4
First, what I forgot to mention in my first post is that you should try unplugging the speedometer and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, stop right here, there's no point in going further. If it does solve the problem, here's what he told me:

Gingerly pry up on the diode (as I wrote, it's yellow with a stripe on one end; about the size of a stick match head, except it's rectangular, like, say, a little tiny shoebox) and see if it's soldered. Mine wasn't and one end popped right up. He said to take it off (unsolder the other end) and tin both ends as well as the "pads" on the board where it was soldered. But, before doing any soldering, put a heat sink between the ends and the rest of the printed circuit board and use just enough hat to do the job. I put a heat sink on, just barely heated the ends, and went out to try my handiwork. Eureka, the truck started right up, ran smoothly, etc. BUT . . . no odometer reading; it was just blank.

I know this sounds far-fetched, but he said the heat travels along the printed circuit foil to the square integrated circuit chip (black, about one inch square with probably ten leads on each side) and loosens the solder just enough to where it won't make contact. I truly doubted this part, because I was fast and that board never got hot enough to do any damage. Besides, that IC chip is a couple of inches away. There's no way. But he said to fix it I needed to resolder the end leg on each side of the chip (that's eight total). I did two and tried it . . . nothing. Did the next two (the two nearest the diode) and, voila, there was my mileage reading back again. The guy knows his stuff.

So, if you're going to try this, do what you can to limit that heat to the diode, but if the odomete goes blank, resolder the end legs of the IC, starting with the ones nearest the diode. They're not easy to solder, as they are tiny and close together, so do two and then try it. Patience and a steady hand are necessary. Good luck. If this is confusing, send questions and I'll try to clarify, but my experience is limited to one! Good luck.
Originally Posted by odoboy
I am writing here to say a big thank you to Jesse4 who had an answer to the problem that has been driving me nuts for a while.
I have a 95 E150 Club Wagon and my speedometer kept bouncing around the true speed (bouncing a lot at high speeds) and my engine tended to stall or even stalled at low speeds going either in forward or reverse.
I first thought that a speed sensor is the issue but i have replaced the whole rear axle (because the old one was broken in two) and i was still having the issue. Also, my ABS worked fine during the issue. I thought it might be a transmission issue but the engine tended to stall even in neutral, if the car was moving a little bit.
So, following Jesse4's advice, i have taken my dashboard off, and unpluged the spedometer...and voila...the issue is completely gone, no more stalling or hesitation. So i noticed the problem is in the speedometer. I think the problem was that when the spedometer kept bouncing it was detecting sharp decelerations and probably was cutting the gas (either to help the abs or just for fuel economy while decelerating).
I have taken the spedometer out ( it was quite some work to get to it) and i have found the part that Jesse4 was talking about: It is the only yellow part on the board and it actually is located in the upper left corner when you are looking at the board. I would like to say that the part in question is actually a capacitor and without it, the speed signal is not filtered and that's where all the bouncing came from. That capacitor acta the same like a capacitor in a ac to dc converter, it cuts the spikes and smoothens the output.
I had to use a sottering iron (not a sottering gun , those are too hot) and i resottered the capacitor to the board and everything worked from the first try. Now there is no more hesitation and the spedometer does not bounce at all anymore. It's awesome.
I have taken some pictures but i don't know how to post them here.
If anyone needs a picture, don't hesitate, send me a message and i will email you the two pictures i have showing exactly what needs to be done.
The reason the capacitor came off is because humidity was allowed to enter in the cluster area. I think in Jesse4's case, the reason the ic pins had to be resottered is because they were almost loose (also because of humidity) and they came completely loose when handling the board. Heat wil definately not travel throguh the board for a few inches, at least not enough to make a sottering come lose.
On the side, my advice to you all 95 E150 owners, get a spray of wd40 and spray all the electrical contacts around the dash (hazard switch, windshield wiper/washer switch) and you will not have any more issues with humidity, at least not for a while.
Once again, Thanks Jesse4 for your saving idea.
Originally Posted by Jesse4
My solution is different from Colour's as my problem WAs in the speedometer. Here's what I have found out, thanks to a very helpful local speedometer repair shop. This guy diagnosed my problem over the phone and talked me through the repair. On the back of the printed circuit board of the speedometer, there is a small yellow diode soldered to the board, in the upper right corner. (It's the only yellow component on the board, as I recall). If this comes loose, it causes the symptoms you describe. If you want to try to re-solder it yourself reply back to this message and I'll relate to you what he told me about doing it. IT'S NOT AS EASY AS JUST RE-SOLDERING, SO DON'T JUST CRANK UP THE OLD SOLDERING IRON AND HAVE A GO AT IT. If you're not really good with a soldering iron, have a low-wattage iron and a good heat sink, I'd recommend taking it to a shop that can do it. But, he was right on the money and it solved my problems completely. The truck ran normally right after I soldered that diode back in place.

My ABS light will come on with braking once in a great while, I don't know why. Then it goes away and doesn't show up again for, say, a thousand miles or so. Curious . . .

Let me know if you're going to try this (or if you do it and the electronic odometer goes blank, write back and I'll tell you how to fix it).

Jesse

Had to sign on to give a BIG THANK YOU to Jesse4 and Odoboy here. This 14+ year old thread saved me my sanity and even wasting more time & money than I already did!

Long story short, had the SAME issue with stalling, rough shifts, speedo jumping on my '95 Bronco that drove me nuts for months! Changed the VSS sensor in the rear diff, bypassed the 4WABS module and I went through the trouble of changing the tone ring in the rear end and still, the symptoms were still all there.. It was that stupid yellow capacitor the whole time! It was loose! I CAREFULLY soldered it and all is back to normal! I NEVER would of thought that was the problem the whole time! Again, a big THANK YOU!