Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Lighting vs SRT-10

Old 12-19-2003, 10:41 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Lighting vs SRT-10

What do you guys think of the new 2005 lighting and the 2004 SRT-10 thay both seem to be big brawny and powrful im a hardcore Ford Fan my self but 505CI of viper motor WOW dont get me wrong Im still just as if not more impressed with the supercooling Tec 5.4 in the new lighting but ive been told theres no repacement for displacement.

Old 12-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Jacked99Duty
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still wouldnt pay the money for the new Dodge compared to the L. Drop a little money in the L and smoke the dodge and still have all kinds of money left over.I couldnt imagine what it will cost just to do a T-up to the new Dodge.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:16 PM
deaton_1
New User
Just remember the new dodge is a six speed manual tranny. If you mis a gear or get into the gas too much my lightning is gonna eat your azz. besides the new dodge can't tow anything so why waste your money on a truck that doesn't function like a truck?

Old 04-22-2004, 01:53 PM
ClemsonLightning
Junior User
I sure wish I had a manual tranny. Let's face it fellas...someone at ford is seriously dropping the ball on these trucks and has been for years. Don't get me wrong, I love my '94 Lightning, but why the heck do I have a roller cam block and no roller cam? A 5-speed option back then would have been nice, too. As for the Gen 2 Lightnings, why don't they use the 4V 5.4 from the Navigator, why not change out the granny low in the superduty 6 speed and offer it in the lightning, and why do they insist on that dern stepside bed?

I guess I could go on about spray in bed liners not being a factory option, or no factory 5th wheel hitches in the SD's, and on and on...

Maybe they'll capitalize on what they've got on the next generation lightning, but then again it'll have that awful new body...

Let's give dodge some credit for capitalizing on the best stuff they have, for offering good looking 20in mag wheels, and just wonder why the heck it didnt' go into the dakota instead?

Last edited by ClemsonLightning; 04-22-2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:50 AM
sjmurray
New User
I looked at and drove both the SRT10 and Lighting a month ago - I bought the Lightning.

Granted, I would love to have a supercharged 4V 5.4 from the Navigator in my Lighting, but all the others items you list as Ford dropping the ball is exctly why I bought a Lightning. I love the stepside bed, and wouldn't even consider buying the truck if automatic wasn't available. Who wants to shift a 6-speed tranmission if you live in any kind of major metor area - traffic and standard transmissions are are miserable combination.

I'll give Dodge credit - the SRT10 is basically the Dodge Viper of trucks. It is bad a$$ and brutal, but not something most people will want to drive every day. My Lightning in stock form is almost as quick, but much more liveable on a day to day basis.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Not sure if you guy's have noticed, but these questions have been addressed 100's of times in past threads (which is exactly why it's just newbie's submiting to this thread). Do yourselfs a favor and use the search option before posting a question that is bound to have shown up on here before. It saves you time. It saves us time. And, it saves bandwidth on the poor FTE servers. I can't even imagine how much bandwidth could be saved if people would make an attempt to find their answers first instead of just posting.

Had to rant. It was either me or somebody else.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:00 AM
ClemsonLightning
Junior User
Originally Posted by sjmurray
I looked at and drove both the SRT10 and Lighting a month ago - I bought the Lightning.

Granted, I would love to have a supercharged 4V 5.4 from the Navigator in my Lighting, but all the others items you list as Ford dropping the ball is exctly why I bought a Lightning. I love the stepside bed, and wouldn't even consider buying the truck if automatic wasn't available. Who wants to shift a 6-speed tranmission if you live in any kind of major metor area - traffic and standard transmissions are are miserable combination.

I'll give Dodge credit - the SRT10 is basically the Dodge Viper of trucks. It is bad a$$ and brutal, but not something most people will want to drive every day. My Lightning in stock form is almost as quick, but much more liveable on a day to day basis.
Therein lies my problem with the Lightning. It's a compromise and always has been, but I guess that's what happens when you try to hot rod a truck. I don't mind the automatic being available in the Lightning, I'm just upset that the 6 speed isn't. I guess for right now, if I want a true performance truck, I'd have to buy the SRT10.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:17 PM
Petrol
Elder User
Originally Posted by ClemsonLightning
Therein lies my problem with the Lightning. It's a compromise and always has been, but I guess that's what happens when you try to hot rod a truck. I don't mind the automatic being available in the Lightning, I'm just upset that the 6 speed isn't. I guess for right now, if I want a true performance truck, I'd have to buy the SRT10.

Don't believe what most folks are posting with regards to srt-10 "test drives"

I hope you bring your 50K with you when you go shopping . . . you'll need all of it and more to drive an srt-10 home, because that is the only way they will let you drive one, LOL

Old 04-28-2004, 06:47 PM
ClemsonLightning
Junior User
I'm just proud of dodge for throwing everything they've got at the sport truck wars and as it appears taking the title of baddest truck around. Probably a good thing for us that we're a little behind now. Just look what Ford did with the PS diesel when they were de-throned. Ford, I'm waiting...

Old 04-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Tex Arcana
Freshman User
Well, everything is a compromise, both in automotive engineering, and in life. And as for this aprticular compromise, I have no problem with it. If you want a manual in your Lightning, either wait for the '06/07, or drop the '00 Cobra-R unit into it, for *only* $15k.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:05 AM
Tex Arcana
Freshman User
Links to competiting sites are not allowed ~ FTE

Last edited by MustangGT221; 04-29-2004 at 05:41 PM. Reason: edit
Old 04-29-2004, 09:51 PM
ClemsonLightning
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana
Well, everything is a compromise, both in automotive engineering, and in life. And as for this aprticular compromise, I have no problem with it. If you want a manual in your Lightning, either wait for the '06/07, or drop the '00 Cobra-R unit into it, for *only* $15k.
$15k????? Man, with $15K, I could install a Richmond, Ford SD, or maybe even a Jerico (don't they make a 6 speed now?), and build a new all Aluminum 440ci - 351W for my old Lightning. Is that hiring the installment done to an over-rated shop or is the Cobra 6speed just that expensive? And what's this I saw on CNN the other day about Ford and GM working together on a 6 speed auto tranny?

Old 04-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Tex Arcana
Freshman User
$15k????? Man, with $15K, I could install a Richmond, Ford SD, or maybe even a Jerico (don't they make a 6 speed now?), and build a new all Aluminum 440ci - 351W for my old Lightning. Is that hiring the installment done to an over-rated shop or is the Cobra 6speed just that expensive? And what's this I saw on CNN the other day about Ford and GM working together on a 6 speed auto tranny?
Why was it expensive? Likely the hired-gun bit, I have no idea what one of those trannies costs.

And, yes, Ford and GM have signed an agreement to "share technology" and for FOrd to build a 6-speed RWD tranny, a 6-sp FWD tranny, and a CVT tranny. Read between the lines, and it's GM paying Ford to develop and build trannies for them to use, yet further proof that GM couldn't give a rat's a$$ about actually building cars.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:05 AM
ieee_raider
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana
And, yes, Ford and GM have signed an agreement to "share technology" and for FOrd to build a 6-speed RWD tranny, a 6-sp FWD tranny, and a CVT tranny. Read between the lines, and it's GM paying Ford to develop and build trannies for them to use, yet further proof that GM couldn't give a rat's a$$ about actually building cars.
Wait wait wait... what's all this about?
Maybe I'm ne on the block, but I never heard about that. Know anywhere I can read details?

Old 04-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Tex Arcana
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ieee_raider
Wait wait wait... what's all this about?
Maybe I'm ne on the block, but I never heard about that. Know anywhere I can read details?
Yes, the end of the automotive world is nigh...

I saw this first in AutoWeek, I think, then in Road and Track, Automotive News, and in SAE Automotive Engineering mags. Automotive News was online (at effin' **$134** per year, I can't afford it!), but the blurb confirmed the bits I saw in the other rags.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lighting vs SRT-10