Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pre/Post Luber

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 03:46 PM
GeeBee
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre/Post Luber

I have a 2002 PSD and I am considering adding a pre/post luber pump to primarily to supply oil to the turbo during spin down. Has anyone had experience with these units? Secondly in examining where to place the pump output for pressurizing the system I see a 1/4 inch brass plug just foward of some sort of sensor on the oil filter adapter. Can I input into the port where the brass plug is?

Old 01-06-2002, 12:15 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pre/Post Luber

The brass plug you speak of is indeed an oil passage and probably would work. The closest oil plug to the turbo (asside from the one on the back of the turbo) is the 1/8 inch pipe plug at the lower rear of the block on the left side just ahead of where the transmission bolts on. You'll probably get oil to the turbo no matter where you pipe it in.

Old 01-06-2002, 07:32 PM
SMOTU
Junior User
Pre/Post Luber

How about using a remote oil filter adapter and using the in and out connections for the "luber"?

Old 01-06-2002, 09:55 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pre/Post Luber

My guess is the manufacturers of the remote oil filter adapter and the pre/post luber will have the best advice on where to locate and where to plumb it.
Keep in mind that the more oil hoses and plumbing you run, the more potential areas for leakage and broken hoses you've got.
If you run your truck every day, the preluber is probably not necessary (if you run it once a week it would be a big help). And, if you follow the shut down instructions, that is, leave it idle a couple minutes after a hard run, it may not be necessary as a post luber either. I'm not saying it has no value, but you'll have to weigh the disadvantages of potential leakage and hose breakage against the advantages of prelubing and post lubing and the necessities thereof. If you take proper care of it the engine will probably out last the truck as it is. You don't want to engineer your own down fall by installing aftermarket equipment whose longevity is not up to the task (just my opinion).

Old 01-07-2002, 11:49 PM
LW555
Senior User
Post Pre/Post Luber

GeeBee, I was also looking into this and found that a good solution would be the use of an oil accumulator. It's designed specifically to address oil starvation to the bearings during turbo spin-down and start-up. There's some info at http://www.dieselproducts.com/turbosafe/turbosafe.html that has some description of what it does. I also saw a brand called Turbo-Guard, I think it's made (or was made) by Boda Industries, but I can't seem to find much info on that one.
Hope this helps some.
Lee

Old 01-09-2002, 03:45 PM
GeeBee
Junior User
Pre/Post Luber

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Jan-02 AT 04:49 PM (EST)]I am impressed with the Turbo Saver unit LW555. The problem with most accumulator units is they expend themselves on shut down with nothing left for start up. This unit does not. I will investigate further.
The unit I was looking at was at this site, www.pre-luber.com Comments on this unit are welcome.

Thanks to all who have replied, your advice is deeply appreciated.

Old 01-09-2002, 04:01 PM
Dave_C
5th Wheeling
Pre/Post Luber