1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

'91 Ranger dies/starts/dies at random while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoMan
Thanks Rock... I will take you up on the advice on cleaning the screws, holes, etc... Is the the same situation on the ignition modules?
You're welcome. The DIS Module is the Ignition Module on your 2.3L DIS system, so I'm not sure what you mean...

Old 08-15-2004, 10:18 AM
GeoMan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My bad... I meant the two ignition coils... Are they grounded through the mounts as well?

Old 08-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoMan
My bad... I meant the two ignition coils... Are they grounded through the mounts as well?
That's a great question, I'm not sure off hand, but I'll see if I can came up with an answer, as I would like to know myself.

On edit: Thinking about it, I would have to initially say "no", the ground cannot be through the mounting holes, since a ground "switch" is what operates the coils, opening and closing the primary circuits, causing the secondary coils (and hence the spark plugs) to fire.

This is a quote from the DIS/EDIS article I posted a link to above, which is applicable to your 2.3L DIS system:
Spark is generated as follows: an electronic switch-to-ground is employed in the coil primary circuit. When the switch is closed, battery positive voltage (+12v) being applied to the primary circuit builds a magnetic field around the primary coil. When the switch opens, the power is interrupted and the primary field collapses, inducing high voltage in the secondary coil windings, causing the spark plugs to be fired.
But I have to think also that just because there is switch involved, that does not necessarily mean that the ground still can't go through those mounting holes/screws in some fashion...

Old 08-18-2004, 09:01 PM
GeoMan
New User
Thanks for the replys. In either case, I made sure the mounting area and the screws were clean before I re-installed the coils and the DIS. Much to my dismay, though, after everything was said and done, I had inspected and cleaned virtually EVERY electrical connector I could locate, I un-bolted and cleaned every engine-to-body ground I could locate, and the condition STILL exists!! (ARRGHHH...). So now, I think I am convinced the condition posted at the top of this thread is caused by a fuel delivery problem - either too much, or not enough. Now, when I start the engine, it runs fine at idle, but any quick acceleration (still in park) it boggs and nearly dies - until I back off the accelerator, then it's back to idelying fine. ALSO... Seems to be running quite lean - the smell is obvious. Would a bad fuel pump cause the problem? What about a bad fuel punp relay? Or the fuel filter? ANY MORE IDEAS? ANYONE??

Old 08-18-2004, 09:33 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
if you think it is running lean, then get a vacuum guage and check for vacuum leaks.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:00 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Throttle position sensor, dirty MAF, fuel pressure regulator, bad vacuum leak, not necessarily in that order.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
Your best bet would to put a fuel pressure guage on it and rev the engine. Watch the fuel pressure, if it drops then look for the problem. If that is ok the look for an electrical problem. Have you replace the the PCM power relay? That would explain no error codes, also if the fuel pressure was dropping I would think you would get some error codes, Lean cly, o2 sensor etc. Also, do you get any dash light flashes when it stumbles?
Dave