Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2004, 09:44 PM
New User

hgall is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gauges peg out ignition switch is turned on

Help. My daghter has a 2002 F 250 psd. I went looking for a dead battery problem. I checked the alternator and it is only puting out 12.4 volts but here is a strange symptom, when I turn the ignition switch to the on position all the dash gauges peg out for a moment. I started pulling fuses to see which on would stop this and it turned out to be the power point 3rd row. I reinstalled the fuse and it would not do it again. This is the 2nd alternator in a year could there be a connection? Also I am not sure if the gauges did this with the 1st alternator. Thanks in advance for your help
Hgall

Last edited by hgall; 05-13-2004 at 09:45 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 05-14-2004, 09:51 AM
New User

Daisy096 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check out where the gauges are grounded to, I also have a 02' PSD and on the passenger side of the truck there is a ground strap (cheap one at that) that runs from frame to the body. I replaced this strap with a copper strap. This may be your problem (hope so). Check it out
Old 05-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Elder User

trakman is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 02 done the gauge thing the first time I had the batteries unhooked and then hooked them back up. I would guess that it's resetting everything. Don't know about your alternator problems.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Senior User

Craze is starting off with a positive reputation.
What kind of gauges are they? My Autometer gauges do that as a function of calibration each time they are powered up.
E40D - no mods
Coolant filter
Gutted EPV
4 inch exhaust
Tymar Air intake

1995 F-150 with 220K & still runnin' strong
Old 05-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Elder User

basstardo is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you've unhooked the battery that is perfectly normal. I disconnect the negative on my battery all the time to do things to my truck, and when I hook it back up and turn on the key the guages go nuts. Unless this is happening all the time, I wouldn't worry about it since it's normal for the guages to do this when you hook up the battery again.

Terry

2003 F-250, 6.0L PSD, Crew Cab 4x4, blue spring upgrade, Magnefine PS filter
Old 05-14-2004, 09:27 PM
New User

hgall is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the everyones help. I knew the alternator was not putting out. I think the advise about the batteries being unhooked is solid. They were not unhooked but were pretty low. The Ford dealer installed a new alternator free of charge as it was only 5 months old and the gauges quit acting up. Again thanks all.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:27 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel