Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2004, 09:46 PM
New User

Gemini19th81 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lamp Outage Module

Hi, I have a 96 explorer and the lights won't come one but the tail lamps works. basically it all works but the lamps themselves won't come on unless I pull the high beam switch towards me (so i have to drive holding the level towards me with highbeams). Someone suggested that something called the lamp outage module controls the current going to the lights and if this is faulty then the lamps won't come on and the computer won't pick up any headlamp problems. Does anyone know where this module is located so I can take a look at it and see if there are any loose connections, etc.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well first off, unless you have a message center in the console, you dont have a LOM. If you have a message center then yes it could be related to the LOM. But usually it does quirky things like only one headlamp works. I would trace the circuit from the fusebox to the headlamp switch to the multifunction switch and out from there first.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 10-22-2005, 10:57 PM
New User

Dougeee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lamp Outage Module

Gemini19th81, I know this post is incredibly old... but to answer your question, Yes, your problem is the Lamp Outage Module. I too have a 1996 Explorer (Limited) and had the exact problem. And in fact, if you do a little research online, you'll notice that HUNDREDS of other explorer owners have been having the same problem too.

The L.O.M. is located directly beneath the message center. You can just pop off the message center screen by squeezing the sides. The cup holder comes off the same way. The Lamp Out Module should be on the passenger side of the console, about where the passengers knee would be. It's got a bunch of wires plugged into one side, it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes, held on by 2 screws. Once you have it removed, you can open it up. there's a few clips keeping it closed, it can be kinda tricky. When you get it open, you should be able to clearly see a burned area around a few of the resistors.

If you want to save yourself $300, you can just use a soldering gun to touch up the burnt contacts, or take it to an electronics shop. I'm sure they wouldn't even charge you for something so simple. Ford should have recalled this years ago. I hope this helps.

Last edited by IB Tim; 10-23-2005 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome Dougeee, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 10-23-2005, 07:56 AM