Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Senior User

dmptrkr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Flathead Valve Removal

I just finished my first "tech article" for my web site. I thought I would try posting it here to see if I can do that and see what you think. I've been wanting to show you this tool for some time now.

FLATHEAD VALVE SPRING COMPRESSING TOOL

Anyone who has disassembled the valve train of a flathead engine knows the valves don't come out like they tell you in the shop manual. You pretty much always need to get the keepers off the valve while its still in the engine. Then you can work the valve out. With the valve out you can pound on the valve guide working it down to remove the clip. Then you pull the valve guide out usually with a slide hammer.

Compressing the valve springs with a pry bar tool leaves only one hand free to remove the valve keepers. Serious damage can be done to the fingers when the pry bar tool slips. After doing serious damage a couple of times I started thinking about a better tool. I found a couple cheap 5/8 inch wrenches and needle nosed visegrip pliers and well, you see what I did. I ground the wrenches to make them thin and contoured to fit the valve springs. I ground the lower one a little wider so the keepers would easily pass through. Using a tack and trial procedure I welded the wrenches to the visegrip at just the right angle to fit the springs. The forged Cr-Vd tool steel welded a bit "funny" but I managed with my mig welder and CO2-Ar shielding gas. Stick welding with the right rod might be a better way to go but my shop doesn't have a stick welder.

This tool worked out great. Once I had the keepers off I could work the valve through the guide. With the valve out of the way I used a piece of copper pipe to punch down the guide and remove the retainer clip. I rigged my slide hammer with a piece of threaded rod and attached it to the valve guides with brass washers and nuts to pull them out. In most cases I had to alternate between the copper pipe and slide hammer to work the guide loose enough to remove. Penetrating oil and patience were helpful. I had to replace my exhaust valve guides since the bores were worn. All other parts I found in good enough condition to reuse. When it came time to reassemble the valves I used my compact spring compressing tool again.

50 F-5 with 47 Heil dump box 2 1/2 yrd
48 F-5 with Gar "Wood" dump box 1 1/2 yrd
97 F-350 Powerstroke Dually flatbed sleeper cab
Old 05-12-2004, 07:16 AM
New User

petejoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
What a great and creative approach to removing valves. You know sometimes the best tools are the homemade ones. I think you should start marketing these things. . Thanks for posting.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Senior User

sosotwo is starting off with a positive reputation.
tool for valve work

looks like your compressor will work great.
I my self have done a lot of flathead work and found a need for good way to remove valves.
after tring several differnt tools for this (and loosing two finger prints), I picked up this gem at a yard sale .
the pics are in my gallery
Old 05-12-2004, 10:46 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6

Tags
36, engines, flat, flathead, ford, head, motor, pulling, removal, remove, sites, spring, tech, tool, tools, valve, valves