Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

powerstroke vs. IDI

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 04:05 PM
88B_RONC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
powerstroke vs. IDI

Thanks for all the replies...I decided to go with a '94 F350 with the IDI - I just bought it yesterday. I don't think I really need the extra power that alot of yall said the powerstroke has, I will not be towing much.
Price was also a big issue for me, I couldn't find a powerstroke to fit my budget. I have had some bad experiences with all the electronic stuff they put on the newer trucks so I think the easier to work on mechanical engine components will fit me better.
I guess I have to change my name now that I am not an '88 Bronco owner anymore.
Thanks again.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 AM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol zombie thread!

Im in the same boat...trying to decide IDI vs PS

I want another PS but there is a sharp looking 94 IDI w/ turbo just an hr away...305K on the odo

Old 09-29-2011, 01:28 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Wow, I think you win the prize for oldest thread dug up. A 94 IDIT is close if not the same in performance than an early PSD. If the engine is tight and everything looks to be in decent shape, there is no reason not to buy the IDI. You'll probably enjoy replacing the inexpensive parts more than the PSD.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM
1bigjoe
Senior User
the main reason to get an idi, is you can work on it your self
ford doesn't want you working on something they can get $95. an hour for
ps injector $350 ea. x 8 and they put them in ,or 150 for 8 and you put them in a coupl hours

Old 09-29-2011, 03:50 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by eatont9999
Wow, I think you win the prize for oldest thread dug up. A 94 IDIT is close if not the same in performance than an early PSD. If the engine is tight and everything looks to be in decent shape, there is no reason not to buy the IDI. You'll probably enjoy replacing the inexpensive parts more than the PSD.

haha thanks! I actually did a google search IDI vs PSD and it brought up that old old thread....so I just had to bump it.

At first I was dead set on a PSD (like I have owned in the past) but the more i look at IDIs the more they are growing on me.

I like the fact that there aren't any electronics that can fail and like yall said...cheap parts.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM
mrbison
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1bigjoe
ps injector $350 ea. x 8 and they put them in ,or 150 for 8 and you put them in a coupl hours
WHAT?!?
Wow, I was pissed when I found out how much it was going to be to get new injectors for my IDI. Now that you just put it in perspective, I feel a lot better. (Although I still longingly look at other people's PSDs when my truck isn't looking)

Old 09-30-2011, 09:43 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
I'm a diehard IDI guy...
A bone stock IDI will not run with a Powerstroke...or the big blocks...or some of the small blocks.
A powerstroke will beat an IDI pulling trailers, a 460 will beat an IDI pulling trailers, and depending on the situation...a 351 might beat an IDI pulling a trailer.
When the IDI is empty, it's still no hot rod...don't expect to win any races...my F150 with a 302/4 speed would blow the doors off my IDI.
BUT....an IDI will pull....and pull.....and pull....and pull at Wide Open Throttle sitting on the governor up a hill all day long, day after day, week after week, month after month. An IDI will outlive any gas engine in a working environment. Will an IDI outlive a PSD? I don't know...probably the same...BUT the IDI won't have nearly the same cost of ownership/maintenance as the PSD.

Now let's talk about a modified N/A IDI....
Open up the exhaust, cut the Y-pipe and run some elbows, clamp on some sections of pipes, add some muflers, and now you've got true dual exhaust. If you can, increase the size of the pipe as quickly as possible after the manifold to help it flow. Or...drop it off to an exhaust shop and give them about 500-1,000 bucks and you'll have a nice system and you won't have to worry about a thing.
Open up the intake, give yourself a Ram Air intake with some 4" flexible aluminum tubing form the hardware store routed from the air cleaner down to the radiator core support. Cut some holes in the core support for more air. Or....consider a cowl intake. There are some threads on this topic.
Update the fuel system if it's over 100k miles old...fresh IP and injectors will cost you about $600-$800 depending on where you get them.
Install a pyro in one of the manifolds to moniter EGT's so you don't burn up a piston.
Now...after the pyro is intalled, you can play with the fuel screw. Crank it up a little bit.

With those upgrades, you'll free up a lot of power and a few mpg's...and you'll be able to outrun a first generation Powerstroke 7.3.

Turbo your IDI and you'll outpull a Stroke...
Installing a turbo kit on a stock IDI, with a large exhaust, a lot of intake air, and some more fuel...and your IDI will outpull a Stroke, be cheaper than a Stroke, and the cost of these upgrades will pay for themselves in fuel savings if you can keep your foot out of it

Old 10-01-2011, 09:04 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalBud
I'm a diehard IDI guy...
A bone stock IDI will not run with a Powerstroke...or the big blocks...or some of the small blocks.
A powerstroke will beat an IDI pulling trailers, a 460 will beat an IDI pulling trailers, and depending on the situation...a 351 might beat an IDI pulling a trailer.
When the IDI is empty, it's still no hot rod...don't expect to win any races...my F150 with a 302/4 speed would blow the doors off my IDI.
BUT....an IDI will pull....and pull.....and pull....and pull at Wide Open Throttle sitting on the governor up a hill all day long, day after day, week after week, month after month. An IDI will outlive any gas engine in a working environment. Will an IDI outlive a PSD? I don't know...probably the same...BUT the IDI won't have nearly the same cost of ownership/maintenance as the PSD.

Now let's talk about a modified N/A IDI....
Open up the exhaust, cut the Y-pipe and run some elbows, clamp on some sections of pipes, add some muflers, and now you've got true dual exhaust. If you can, increase the size of the pipe as quickly as possible after the manifold to help it flow. Or...drop it off to an exhaust shop and give them about 500-1,000 bucks and you'll have a nice system and you won't have to worry about a thing.
Open up the intake, give yourself a Ram Air intake with some 4" flexible aluminum tubing form the hardware store routed from the air cleaner down to the radiator core support. Cut some holes in the core support for more air. Or....consider a cowl intake. There are some threads on this topic.
Update the fuel system if it's over 100k miles old...fresh IP and injectors will cost you about $600-$800 depending on where you get them.
Install a pyro in one of the manifolds to moniter EGT's so you don't burn up a piston.
Now...after the pyro is intalled, you can play with the fuel screw. Crank it up a little bit.

With those upgrades, you'll free up a lot of power and a few mpg's...and you'll be able to outrun a first generation Powerstroke 7.3.

Turbo your IDI and you'll outpull a Stroke...
Installing a turbo kit on a stock IDI, with a large exhaust, a lot of intake air, and some more fuel...and your IDI will outpull a Stroke, be cheaper than a Stroke, and the cost of these upgrades will pay for themselves in fuel savings if you can keep your foot out of it
With the cost of the aforementioned upgrades, the cost of the truck, the cost of the normal items to address when you buy a $2k truck and the cost of the turbo system and all pieces and parts required to install it on the IDI and the cost of your time, you could buy a 1-ton Powerstroke.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:11 AM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mechelement
With the cost of the aforementioned upgrades, the cost of the truck, the cost of the normal items to address when you buy a $2k truck and the cost of the turbo system and all pieces and parts required to install it on the IDI and the cost of your time, you could buy a 1-ton Powerstroke.

dang guys...this thread has me flip/flopping back and forth on what to buy. I just cant decide...

I like the IDI becaue of its simplicity and price of parts but I know the PS really well (owned 2) and really like the design, strength etc. (not so much the price of parts)

Ill be watching this thread carefully *insert popcorn smiley here*

Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 AM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya you could buy a stroke with that money. But, will it need any repairs? The cost of on going upkeep on the stroke will me more as well as any thing the seller didn't tell you about. Was/is it chipped? If so was it beat on and waiting to give you headaches? So you see even with the cost of modding/repairing the old IDI, in the long run it would still cost less than the stroke. Besides, you can't get a stroke engine with the beutiful body of the style of the 83-86 trucks lol. I know you are looking at the 94 but just saying that the newer the truck the uglier they get lol!

Old 10-02-2011, 04:34 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kenpobuck
Ya you could buy a stroke with that money. But, will it need any repairs? The cost of on going upkeep on the stroke will me more as well as any thing the seller didn't tell you about. Was/is it chipped? If so was it beat on and waiting to give you headaches? So you see even with the cost of modding/repairing the old IDI, in the long run it would still cost less than the stroke. Besides, you can't get a stroke engine with the beutiful body of the style of the 83-86 trucks lol. I know you are looking at the 94 but just saying that the newer the truck the uglier they get lol!
Depends on the truck. Just like when you buy an old IDI. My IDI needed an entirely rebuilt frond end, all new brakes, new injectors, new glow plugs, new steering system, new power window motors and new tires.

The '00 PSD cost more up front, but I've only had to do ball joints, inner axle seals and sway bar bushings. I haven't had any major issues with the PSD. It's been an excellent business asset.